Sponsored

Short shifter?

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
GTmiller....

you are the FIRST person we have had that has had ANY issues with any vibration with the RACE SPEC...something is definitely not installed right or something is loose.

You should not have ANY mean rattling or anything. Yes the shifter will vibrate but that's because it is mounted to the transmission solidly but that's only FEEL not noise. Never rest your hand on the shifter when driving and it will not even be an issue.

The throw on our shifter is 20 percent. It may not seem like a lot but after testing many many throw settings we felt this setting was best to make sure the synchros do not get too much stress. its a lot harder to slow down your hand speed ( actually close to impossible ) then to set the throw ratio right so you can shift as fast as you can.

It sounds like you are giving up on a shifter that is rated THE BEST on the market for good reason. Watch this video and you will see that it is the best no compromise solution without ANY optional linkages or anything. EVERYTHING is in the kit . its basically a top loader now.

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/103

Call me directly at 706-829-3030 if you aren't happy with the shifter because something is not right.

George
George - Actually...I DID speak to you on the phone after the install. I mentioned that in my specific car I get this noise and inquired whether you had experienced it at all. You said no, it wasn't a HUGE deal to me and the shifter was better than stock and I had never missed a gear since installing, so I just moved on.

I've been doing my own work for quite some time, the shifter isn't "installed wrong". In fact, unless you really don't know how to turn a wrench very well I don't see how you could install it wrong unless you mess up setting the reverse lockout. I took my sweet ass time and made sure to follow the video instructions precisely. Besides clearance issues due to working on my back and my big hands I had no issues during install (yes, the boot is a bitch to get on but that's expected).

The feedback I'm getting from the shifter is more a noise than a vibration. It is VERY pronounced between 5K to 6K RPM ONLY. I can definitely hear gear whine all the time (all RPM levels, 2nd gear more than others) more than I could with the stock shifter...but that's expected when you hard mount things. I have a strong opinion that the noise I'm hearing is not BECAUSE of your shifter but your shifter just transmits it more. Maybe there's an issue with my trans and that's why it happens, I don't know. However, I didn't hear this AT ALL with the stock shifter. I can't take the car to Ford and say "hey, listen to this shit..." and have an aftermarket shifter that's hardmounted to the trans installed, they'll simply say put the stock unit back in and see if the nosie is gone. I already know it will be just because of the lack of noise transferred by the stock unit.

What I do know is the Barton doesn't use a solid linkage arm. I understand using the solid arm like you do may be the BEST option. However, if I put the Barton in and it reduces throw and prevents me from hitting a gate or missing a gear but also transmits a good amount less noise...I consider that a win. This car is my DD, it's not a track whore so comfort and lack of NVH is still a big concern to me.

Dave tried to get the shifter to me by the weekend for install when I ordered but weather delayed UPS until Monday. I have another thread going on some extremely weird electrical issue with the PP gauges and they finally came in Thursday of last week, so Ford had the car over the weekend and I still couldn't put the Barton in. I am installing it this weekend for sure.

I get why you are defending a product you make and stand behind. However, if you're so confident I don't see why you'd have an issue with a customer testing your competition back to back. I'm not here to say your shifter sucks, I think it's awesome. I haven't missed a gear and that's really the most important thing for most people. However, I have other factors that concern me and one major one is noise. Since Barton offers a money back grantee with no questions asked why the hell wouldn't I at least give it a try?
Sponsored

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
I do not recall speaking to you but without the actual name that's understandable. If it is making a noise that wasn't there before then we should investigate further. If you spoke to me i just cannot recall and my apologies for that. I am very sensitive to product feedback and want everyone to be happy.

Believe me i have zero fear of anyone comparing our product to the competition. If the Barton is a better fit for your needs then its all good. It's a well built product and i have no doubt it will perform . I would be curious if it is quieter as well.

I just am also curious why the noise at just those rpms... thats very odd.

Anyway keep us updated when you do get it installed.

George

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
I do not recall speaking to you but without the actual name that's understandable. If it is making a noise that wasn't there before then we should investigate further. If you spoke to me i just cannot recall and my apologies for that. I am very sensitive to product feedback and want everyone to be happy.

Believe me i have zero fear of anyone comparing our product to the competition. If the Barton is a better fit for your needs then its all good. It's a well built product and i have no doubt it will perform . I would be curious if it is quieter as well.

I just am also curious why the noise at just those rpms... thats very odd.

Anyway keep us updated when you do get it installed.

George
I'm sure you get a lot of calls, name is Greg. We spoke 2/18 for just under 10 minutes :) I called you from work and we use Shortel, so I can easily go back and look up the last time I called your number.

I'll call you today again to discuss prior to the swap.
Capture.GIF

Sponsored

waited

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
GTP-PP 2015
I was considering this too.
Do you have any detail information on that?
it looks really similar with stock one to me. i could not fine the detail picture tho.
if you have detail picture. please let me know.

KilluminatiDre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Do you have any detail information on that?
it looks really similar with stock one to me. i could not fine the detail picture tho.
if you have detail picture. please let me know.
I couldn't find detailed pictures either, I've been looking for weeks but not much info.

Judging by what it says is "included" all this is is a shorter shifter to decrease throw. It won't help at all with getting locked out of a gear during spirited driving.
Thats exactly what I was wondering about, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Install time varies greatly from shop to shop. I can do an install in less then an hour. Plan on 2 hours for a shop to do it, if their labor rate is $60 an hour that's $120 for the install.

As much as I would love to, I cant do a group buy. I have to be fair to all my dealers and with all the components that are machined for this shifter, its tough to compete. Made in the USA, is not the cheapest option, but its the best.
Dave
I watched your installation video and near the end as the cartridge was being positioned it was stressed that "one particular side had to be facing the driver"
Does this mean you will need modified units to be used in RHD Mustangs when they go into production?

Sponsored

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
any of the vendors selling mgw shifter?

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase

rbeaudo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustgang GT Premium A10 VB Roush charged
I am going to be purchasing a new shifter next week, now that I have read everything and watched all the video's I'm still not sure what to go with. I like the Barton it looks really well made and the fact it retains the factory reverse lock. But I also like the MGW because it is not reusing any of the factory parts and the redesigned linkage seems like it would be more robust. Decisions decisions......:headbonk:

Apollo_1092

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am going to be purchasing a new shifter next week, now that I have read everything and watched all the video's I'm still not sure what to go with. I like the Barton it looks really well made and the fact it retains the factory reverse lock. But I also like the MGW because it is not reusing any of the factory parts and the redesigned linkage seems like it would be more robust. Decisions decisions......:headbonk:

I have heard great things about MGW. The shop that will be doing my build showed me a comparison of a 14 GT stock shifter and the MGW and its night and day. I'll be going with MGW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Yeah this is my next purchase as well and it's between these two. Still doing my research, but both products look very well made!
Sponsored