Sponsored

Paint defect

ortovosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black Mustang fastback
Picked up my GT last week. It has three areas that look like clear coat has delaminated from colour. Dealer have told me they will repaint panel affected. Just wanted to know if this is a common problem.
IMG_1986.jpg
Sponsored

Gibbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Monaro CV8 '05 , Mustang GT 18 on order.
Picked up my GT last week. It has three areas that look like clear coat has delaminated from colour. Dealer have told me they will repaint panel affected. Just wanted to know if this is a common problem.
Looks like moisture in the clear coat mix, or was on the panel when the clear coat was sprayed on maybe?

Copie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Could be a few different things, so long as it hasn't effected the colour layer is the important bit otherwise they will have to blend panels which can be spotted a mile off. Welcome to Fords fabulous mustang build quality

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
That is a weird one. I'd say it's probably a spot repair and they managed to contaminate it before applying the clear.

All 3 spots are on the same panel?

Sponsored

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Maybe have a professional detailer look at the car and see what they say - might be able to fix it without a respray.

My car, Shadow Black like yours, arrived at the dealership with 3 paint defects, one was on the roof and looked as though the paint had been etched. Salesman was sure I'd reject the car.

We agreed to be guided by what the detailer who was going to apply the Ceramic Pro advised us. He ended up fixing the defects at the dealership, gave the PD guys some tips, and gets regular work there now!!

Might be something different but I'd get that second opinion, especially when resprays are mentioned.

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT 5.0 - Manual - Race Red
Looks like Brake Fluid / Clutch Fluid, has attacked the Clear Coat / Paint.

Is it on the same side as your Brake Master Cylinder?

Could have been spilt while filling up the Master Cylinder.

The only way to repair it, is to paint the entire panel.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I showed this to one of our guys. He said without seeing it in person he can't be certain but believes it's likely repair work during pre delivery so probably damage during transport. This is especially likely if all 3 spots are on one or at least adjacent panels. Basically they haven't prepped correctly/well. It's not impossible that someone stuffed up at the factory but that's the best he can offer from a photo.

It'd be easy to check with a thickness gauge as the repaired panel would be much thicker than other panels.

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
I cant work out where that is on the car, but it looks like it is dented as well.

And no, I have not seen or heard of anything like that on this forum, so not one of the common defects, but you probably don't feel special!

OP
OP
ortovosh

ortovosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
its not dented. it looks like clear has lifted from colour. the photo is on trunk ... and other areas are on hood.

it leaves a bitter sweet taste as i love the car... and its a shame the paint isnt perfect. Dealer will fix it... but woulda been better if not there.

Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
its not dented. it looks like clear has lifted from colour. the photo is on trunk ... and other areas are on hood.
While not impossible, it'd be unusual for the clear to lift as these are painted with a 3 wet system, ie the coats aren't dried in between so the next coat is applied while the previous coat is still wet. That's part of the reason runs are so common on these but it also makes it difficult for one coat to lift from another. Certainly possible if contaminated in some way between coats but that shouldn't happen but clearly can.

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
If it is on the trunk lid then it could very well be some residue or blemishing from the white plastic covering from the factory. We had about twenty small spots that looked similar on ours. Admittedly they where only about a mill or so in size, but my first thought was that it was a clear coat separation. I removed them with a combination of finishing polish and a high lubricity quick detailer. No detrimental affects have been noticed to those paint areas since then. Strangely I couldn't feel an edge to them when I first saw them which is why I first suspcted a paint defect rather than something on the paint.

OP
OP
ortovosh

ortovosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bob... the dealers first thought was that.. and it may be... they run width ways on trunk and hood... so could be from the white vinyl.

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
Hopefully it is Ortovosh...it's an easy fix if it is.

AusPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EB (Tickford 270 Power Pack)
My car was dented during transit. This was fixed by the dealer who gave my a good discount for the trouble. However I've since discovered a clear coat run on the 3/4 panel, misaligned boot and trim plus another weird paint defect on the hood that nobody can identify. I also had a 50 cent radiator hose clamp fail leaving me stranded on the side of the road after just 1000 km. All will be fixed at no cost but Ford really needs to get their act together and fire their workers and replace them with robots that know how to build a car.

I still love my Mustang but I wish they were built in Japan.
Sponsored