Sponsored

track before 1000 mile breakin period?

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Any of you guys get your car on a track before the 1k mile recommended breakin period?

The owner manual just says to avoid excessive speed during that period... but what is excessive? :D
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I would wait till 1k, and change oil and filter before taking it to the track

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
I wouldn't do it, but it's your car :) you'll probably be fine but is it worth the risk?

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
What risk exactly?
What is the purpose of a break-in?

Do you think Ford recommends it just so the owner can't have fun for a few weeks? They gain nothing from that.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So no answer then? Just say you don't know, it's fine.

Plenty of experiences with hard break ins, including one above, tracked with 700 miles, and mine was a hard break in from mile 8. No oil burning and no problems. OP should do what he's comfortable with, but let's not act like it matters for anything but missing the fun those first set of arbitrary miles you assign to the break in.

Sponsored

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
Whats a break in?
This.

I leave the dealership on the limiter. If it's going to let go... It's going to let go.

Whats next? Not eating steak or having a beer because of health risks? It'll all be over soon... Have some fun!

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Seems to me that moving parts that weren't fully broken in would be more prone to overheating - things like wheel bearings, transmission, differential, etc. Come to think of it my Focus ST manual said something to the effect of "meh, don't worry about a special breakin," and I assure you there was nothing particularly special or exotic about that car.

I've always broken in my cars/bikes with heavy throttle, but keeping RPMs reasonable until 500 miles. The two times over the last 20 years I took it totally easy during breakin resulted in 1 car needing a new short block at 4k miles due to heavy oil consumption, the other (a hayabusa) ran .2 and 4 mph slower through the 1/4 than the stolen 'busa it replaced. Only difference in the two bikes was breakin.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
OP should do what he's comfortable with, but let's not act like it matters for anything but missing the fun those first set of arbitrary miles you assign to the break in.
Ford really should hire you, they have no idea what they're doing.

It probably doesn't matter, they obviously set the "break in" number high and really probably just recommend 500 but they know nobody has patience. WOT out of the dealership. I'll say it again- it's your car :thumbsup:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What risk exactly?
(1) What do you know about "thermal shake-down"? Or unequal heating and local hot spots? Fatigue consequences from thermal stress?

(2) Have you ever assembled an engine with file-fit rings?

I used to get paid for understanding the first (different industry, but the metal wouldn't know that), and have done the second a number of times (there's something you definitely need to keep in mind).

Norm

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Took my Harley to the drag strip just after I finished building the engine. Subsequently, never leaked a drop, had excellent compression, made more power than it was supposed to, and never had a single issue.
Sponsored