2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
In the last few days, my trans has stopped the slight notchiness when cold. I'm simply shifting slower when the fluid is cold.

The fluid should be here any day. I'll get it changed and report back.

Soooooo? What is the result?

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I put the BG Syncro Shift II in my 2016 GT manual trans today. I'm at 26,700 miles with a mostly stock GTPP except for MGW shifter and catback.

DO THIS SERVICE NOW! It is like a brand new car. I can't believe I waited so long to do this. I didn't think changing the fluid would have such a dramatic affect - I was wrong.

The stock fluid didn't look too bad when I drained it and I wasn't expecting much of a change despite all the positive reviews. On my first drive, it was a night and day difference. Incredibly smooth.

It is essentially as easy as an oil change except you will need a pump to pull the fluid from the bottle up to the trans fill hole. But the place I ordered from sent me a pump with the 3 qts, so it was easy.

Also, I noted a lot of people saying to fill to 1/2 inch below the fill line. Since you can't see the level of fluid until it starts to overflow, the company I ordered from sent a cup with a mark on it to fill with the fluid from 3 qts and then you could just put the rest in your trans and it would be the correct amount.

My owner's manual says to fill the trans to within 0-3mm of the fill line. I take that to mean you should fill it to the top, or no more than 3mm from the top. Thus, I filled mine until it started to overflow and let it drain from the fill hole until it stopped so that it was filled to the top of the fill line and in spec with my manual.

This was the best mod/service result I have ever had with any vehicle.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
First of all I agree with everyone on the BG best trans oil experience I've had on any car. I couldn't believe the different in shifting. My recommendation if you do want to swap the whole shifter. Get yourself a short shifter, blowfish racing bracket and a steel braided clutch cable line or a aftermarket shifter. I have the steeda Triax and I love it. I regret not doing the upgrade when I first got the car. I promise you do that and you will fall in love driving your car. It has made a much better driving experience. It's so funny how the shifter upgrade upgrades the entire driving experience.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
I put the BG Syncro Shift II in my 2016 GT manual trans today. I'm at 26,700 miles with a mostly stock GTPP except for MGW shifter and catback.

DO THIS SERVICE NOW! It is like a brand new car. I can't believe I waited so long to do this. I didn't think changing the fluid would have such a dramatic affect - I was wrong.

The stock fluid didn't look too bad when I drained it and I wasn't expecting much of a change despite all the positive reviews. On my first drive, it was a night and day difference. Incredibly smooth.

It is essentially as easy as an oil change except you will need a pump to pull the fluid from the bottle up to the trans fill hole. But the place I ordered from sent me a pump with the 3 qts, so it was easy.

Also, I noted a lot of people saying to fill to 1/2 inch below the fill line. Since you can't see the level of fluid until it starts to overflow, the company I ordered from sent a cup with a mark on it to fill with the fluid from 3 qts and then you could just put the rest in your trans and it would be the correct amount.

My owner's manual says to fill the trans to within 0-3mm of the fill line. I take that to mean you should fill it to the top, or no more than 3mm from the top. Thus, I filled mine until it started to overflow and let it drain from the fill hole until it stopped so that it was filled to the top of the fill line and in spec with my manual.

This was the best mod/service result I have ever had with any vehicle.
Where did you order from?

Sponsored

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang

mustangcobra93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a '17. Do I need to wait for a certain amount of time/miles for a break in before switching to the BG fluid? Plan to also add an MGW at some point down the line.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Do you need to wait? Not really. But I would. As with anything new, small particles of metal wear from gears meshing will take place. I'd personally give it a few thousand miles for the break in period then swap.
I had mine done at it's first oil change at 5000 miles. Dealership charged me $40 labor. Kind of high since it was already in the air, but worth it since I didn't have my jacking rails or my load spreader for my jack yet.

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I want to put some synthetic transmission oil in my MT82. I did this with my 2012GT, and I never had any problems.

My new car is notchy when the oil is cold, with some annoying crunches going into gear occasionally. This needs to stop a.s.a.p.

I can't remember which Red Line MTL product I used before, as there are different weights of their MTL. I would also consider a Royal Purple product if it works with the MT82.

Any help is appreciated.
I've tried BG and Royal Purple. Orginally I changed to RP but based on feedback from this group I switched to BG. The BG made shifting after the tranny was hot a little bit nicer, but it took a loooonnng time to get up to temperature - like 15 miles. 1-2 grinding was present until it reached temperature.

I then started reviewing technical data on the various fluids. RP was the closest to the stock fluid at operating temperature and showed good promise at cold temperatures. I put it back in and my cold shifting woes more or less went away. Hot shifting isn't as smooth as the BG though.

If I could have the cold temperature performance of the RP and the hot temperature feel of the BG I'd be happier than a pig in, well, you know... I think this well may be a pipe dream since all oils exhibit a temperature related viscosity curve.

Honda ATF may be a good thing to try. It has the viscosity of the RP at cold. One of these days I may give it a shot.

JOhn

Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
John,

You could give THIS a try with the RP. It may help.
What is it? What is it used for?

Awww heck. I just ordered some from Optimum. I'll follow up after I get it and put it in.

Thanks!
John

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
What is it? What is it used for?

Awww heck. I just ordered some from Optimum. I'll follow up after I get it and put it in.

Thanks!
John
It's magic stuff! I get the smooth, slick shifting feel of the BG with the cold shifting performance of the RP.

RP+MGC=:headbang:

I like!!!

John

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Basically a super additive package. BG keeps things pretty close to the vest.
Got mine today and put it in. Drove about 30 miles and shifts are getting smoother and smoother... Great stuff so far!!!

I'm guessing the BG SyncroShift already has this stuff in it. I mixed it with my RP and love what I got! Cold shifting goodness and creamier shifts when warm.

John
Sponsored