Sponsored

Paint chipping away from wheel well!

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have about 7000 miles on my GT.

I just washed it and saw this in several places along the rear passenger wheel well. It's abrasive to the touch when you run your finger along it.

I thought first a rock but in so many places?

Do you think the paint is just chipping away at an abnormal rate? Do you think Ford may be interested in helping, or "sorry it's wear and tear" ?

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I can't see your pics but these cars pretty much require a mud flap/splash guard on the front to stop debris from running down the side of the car.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
That's absurd amount of damage from just regular driving unless you drive on gravel 24/7.

You can't use imgur for images. They don't let this site access it for some stupid reason. You have to right click and open in new tab, then refresh to see them.

Anyways, I'd contact ford and ask them what can be done. It looks like the paint is way too soft there.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Can you attach a picture (I can't see it)? Pretty sure I have the same issue.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Can you attach a picture (I can't see it)? Pretty sure I have the same issue.

Here you go:

OP the ones near the top of the tire make no sense to me. No rocks would get flung upwards like that. Did you rotate tires or something? Maybe someone rubbed a tool on the fenders.
bC5VVnF.jpg
3FGskpI.jpg
n9WQjBw.jpg

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Ya that's what mine looks like, except mine is maybe a little worse but it's on the inner lip. The only thing I could think that would have done it was when cleaning the tires, I use a tire sponge with the plastic grip and it would sometimes rub against it but I never really noticed it until a few weeks back. Even still, it shouldn't be rubbing paint off.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I fixed a small chip on the fender right where the bumper and fender come together at the wheel well. I just used OEM touchup to prevent any oxidation. Luckily in that spot, you should be able to touch it up without anyone noticing unless you're 1ft away. It's still annoying though. I just got new wheels and tires and I can definitely hear more ticks from picking up tiny rocks. I'm ordering a front rock guard because of it.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Id be hard pressed to believe that's rock damage.
Actually if you look, the very inside edge has no damage. Only on the outside as if someone rubbed it with a tire iron.... That's no rock damage. That's something hard rubbing against the paint. OP, has any shop taken your tires off?
Sponsored