Sponsored

Cleaning plastics of dirt/wear?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
When getting in and out of my car I frequently find that the toes of my boots or shoes are rubbing up against the inside of the door card by the speaker. Same with the plastic trim where my son sometimes puts his feet when getting in and out of the car. What is best to use for dirt and wear?

Can the same be used for the plastic side-skirts/running boards and splitter on the outside?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
(I would try a rubber eraser first, not a pink one but one of those natural colored rubber ones)

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I tried the Nextzett (formerly 1Z) Plastic Deep Cleaner recently on my wife's car. I bought it to try for the exact purpose the OP mentioned, but used my wife's Suburban as a test subject. I have to say that I was shocked at how awesome this stuff works. Her Suburban has the light two tone (grey and tan) plastic interior with a few years of school car pool grime built up. Her interior plastics now literally look like they are brand new. Very few of the stains (usually embedded in deep scratches) did not yield to this amazing cleaner. Typically a bit of pressure on a well napped micro fiber cloth took care of it, but a few stubborn ones required the use of a nylon brush. Spray on, rub/wipe off...done!

I did run into a bit of confusion though... One website said the Plastic Deep Clean dried and left no residue, another website said "wipe off with damp rag". I followed the latter just to be safe. I'll need to follow up with Nextzett for clarification on that. They also offer a less aggressive formula called Cockpitt Premium (claims to be safe for use on all sorts of materials). I used that for the dash with all the more sensitive gauge and stereo screens. After cleaning as mentioned above, I followed up with an application of 303 Aerospace UV protectant on all the plastics inside and out. Again, testing the results before using on my GT. Although the 303 is the least shiny protectant I've found to date, I think it is still a little too shiny for my taste at least for the black dash (windshield should have a UV filter layer on it anyway). But I'll definitely use it on the other plastics inside and out. When I used it on my wife's exterior textured black trim, it deepened the richness of the black significantly. Looked fantastic!

I haven't gotten around to trying the Plastic Deep Clean on the foot scuffs on my GT's black plastic door panels yet, but I have high hopes. I'll probably need a new Nylon brush though... the one I used on my wife's car got hammered.

Also, there is a distribution center in Texas for Nextzett (www.1z-usa.com). They have better prices on most items, but the shipping can be excessive. If your cart value gets high enough there are free samples and eventually free shipping...

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I love Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner and the Cockpit Premium. I use Cockpit Premium every week on all my interior plastics, vinyls, and even leather. It works great, smells good, and leaves NO residue. The Deep Plastic cleaner is great at cleaning dirtier plastic, however I have found it not really useful in getting out the scuffs you are talking about. I also tried a Magic Eraser but that seem to fade the small test area I applied it to. Some of the scuffs from feet appear to almost be damage so no amount of cleaning in my case seems to be working. Also, when it comes to Aerospace 303 it's awesome for exterior plastic, adds a subtle shine and protects it from UV rays, but I would never use it on interior plastic as I like the factory matte finish much better. I wish Ford would have used a better design/material on plastic door panels and trim, they scuff way to easily and I accidentally hit them all the time with my shoes because of how low the car sits.

Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
A guy on the Corvette forum had success removing dark scuffs from his light colored door panel with the Plastic Deep Clean and a bunch of scrubbing. However that would most likely be a different plastic material and as you say, our scuffs could easily be more damage than dirty. It seems that our interior plastic scratches with nothing more than a stern look.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I finally got around to trying the 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner on my door panel shoe scuffs. I only used a microfiber cloth with decent rubbing pressure over two applications of the cleaner. (Spray on rag, then rub/wipe.) I followed with a damp cloth. Drastically reduced appearance of scuffs, but didn't completely remove the deeper ones. I didn't have enough time (or a nylon brush) to work it more, but I did follow up by applying 303 Aerospace to the door plastic. The two treatments combined "almost" hides them completely. Still visible if you are looking for it, but at least not glaring in my face everytime I open the door to get out.

I should have done some before and after pics, but it was getting dark and I was trying to finish up. I could still do after pics if anyone is interested, but without the before for comparison it doesn't tell the whole story.
Sponsored