Camaro Watch: Revealed Early

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Man that instrument cluster and infotainment system is just on another level. Having the navigation in the driving cluster is really nice. 8 speed with the magnetic ride is going to be a tough combo to beat.
That info system look out of place, like it pull from pepboy and glue it in.
I have tried many time looking at the rear end on 6g camaro it just can't please my eyes, Granade Motor just can't design the rear any uglier that 6g camaro
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
And a review by one of their members who was at the event. Seeing these reviews more and more of that V6 just continues to make me think Ford is going to have to step up in the '17. If this guy who owned an SS is saying that new '16 Camaro V6 feels like a Camaro SS 1LE...then team Mustang has some serious competition...I can't imagine what an SS is going to feel like.

In this Internet age, a review can be written within minutes of a vehicle drive—no need to go back to the office and warm up the typewriter before sending your final draft off to print in next-month’s issue.

Then again, most media outlets don’t send their journalists to events in their own car 6 hours away with enough “junk in the trunk” to last a weekend stay in Detroit in order to enjoy a unique enthusiast event coordinated with the unveil of the brand new Camaro SIX. Of course, I’m not what you’d call a “journalist”.

After the Camaro enthusiast-infused unveiling on Saturday, which by the way was one of those once-in-a-lifetime things, Chevrolet hosted journalists from a myriad of outlets on Sunday morning for some more detailed information about this new masterpiece in the Camaro lineage, and for a hands-on drive with the 6th generation cars.

The vehicles they had waiting for us on the Grand Prix course of Belle Isle were pre-production V6 models. There were six of the cars available, and a few had the NPP exhaust option. Because I was not the first in line to drive, I want to share with you the first thing I noticed: The V6 model SOUNDS GREAT (with the NPP exhaust). When the dual mode flaps open up in the cars, at full-throttle they were loud, and I cautiously say “exotic” sounding—but all good!

Camaro team was clever in how they arranged this drive. First, it is important to note that companies do not normally do this—that is, reveal a brand new car on one day, and allow people to drive it the very next. So they intended to make a point: the new car is nimble, quick, and you can feel how much lighter and agile than the 5th generation car feels “within the first 10 feet of driving”. Their words…not mine.

They were right.

As I drove the 2015 2LT car, bright yellow with a manual transmission, first in line behind our Z/28 pace car; it felt confident, fun, maybe even I could use the word “zippy”, but then you try to take a turn at speed and the chassis begins to roll quite a bit while the tires don’t want to hold the car in place. And although, the V6 pulls pretty hard, it feels held back and muzzled. All in all, did I enjoy it? Yes, I did. Did it convince me to buy one? No.

I also must be transparent and tell you that I used to own a 2012 ZL1, and now I drive a 2014 2SS/1LE every day, and take it to one or two track days each year. It is a phenomenal car that I am thrilled to get into each and every time. I consider the 1LE-equipped SS the benchmark for a car that claims to be “fun to drive”, “nimble”, or “agile”…power-levels notwithstanding.

Anyways, after we pulled back into the pits with our 5th gen LTs, we were asked to literally get out of the 5th gens and get right into the camouflaged 6th gen cars that were waiting for us. First thing I hear is a voice over the radio (our Z/28 lead): “Please fasten your seatbelts, and release the emergency brake. Put the transmission into first gear or drive, and we’ll be out of here in a moment.” This first car I drove was an automatic, so I pulled the shifter into drive, and pressed the new electronic emergency brake button to release the brake. No sooner did that occur, than I heard the Z/28 ahead of us grumble and begin to roll away. The second car I had the pleasure to drive was manual transmission, and I’d like to report that the clutch wasn’t heavy, but it wasn’t mushy either. It was very nice, and the shifter felt awfully close to what I have in the 1LE. Remember, this the V6/LT model!

In that first 10 feet, I noticed a few things:

First, the A-pillar is skinnier, improving forward and front-quarter line of sight dramatically. I confirmed this observation with Tristan Murphy, one of the interior designers. They spend a lot of time removing nearly an inch of material from one side of the pillar, and half an inch from the other. The seat sits slightly lower to the ground, shedding that slight “sedan” seating position feeling of the 5th gen car. I don’t know why, but lower feels faster. The interior wraps around you as the driver. It is entirely driver-focused, and everything you touch or see either has something to do with the performance of the vehicle, or just “looks” fast. The steering wheel is flat-bottomed, a standard feature across all models. And the “Camaro” logo is back, front and center just as it should be. The car, or the engine rather, sounds aggressive from the interior. When you take hold of the steering wheel, it’s obvious that this car has one purpose in any form: to go fast. Steering, even adjusting left to right at two mph as we pulled away, felt tight and direct.

As we accelerated away, I was shocked because my head actually snapped back to the seat! Not as violently as in my SS, but with authority all the same. I was even able to chirp the tires in third gear…this little car is quick! And as you speed away, you hear that nearly exotic scream coming from the engine that will make you grin. Into the first turn, I noticed immediately that the car braked, like my SS, with confidence and strength. (Once we returned to the pits, that’s when I looked and realized these cars were sporting Brembo front brake calipers.) As I turned the wheel to follow the Z/28 around a bend, the car responded instantly, and I detected very little body roll. The tires screeched a little bit through the turn, as I was pushing it pretty hard, but they never let go.

I am cautious when I say that in terms of vehicle dynamics, or handling characteristics, the V6 cars we drove felt impressively like my 1LE. I will not give that praise lightly, because I appreciate how great the 1LE package is. But at the same time, it almost felt better! There is simply no doubt in my mind that you can tell the difference in weight between the two generations. Of course, it did not feel as fast, but it did feel as fun!

Even being a V6, I left Belle Isle seriously considering that car as my next purchase…it put a grin on my face, it was agile around the track, truly nimble and light on its feet.

Now, this was only a 15-minute driving experience because there were so many people and so few cars to accommodate. We weren’t able to go flat-out in these cars, and we didn’t have access to either the turbo four cylinder model, or the SS. Still, I was one of the lucky people able to experience the first 10 feet of the Sixth-generation Camaro’s story, and I am simply blown away!

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
And a review by one of their members who was at the event. Seeing these reviews more and more of that V6 just continues to make me think Ford is going to have to step up in the '17. If this guy who owned an SS is saying that new '16 Camaro V6 feels like a Camaro SS 1LE...then team Mustang has some serious competition...I can't imagine what an SS is going to feel like.
Seriously, you're putting up a review of one the most biased people in the world when it comes to the Camaro? From day one when I joined that site, well before the Gen5 ever went into production, GM could do no wrong. First, the SS was the best Camaro ever, even though the handling was sub-par for the segment. Then, the ZL1 was introduced and THAT was the bee's knees. Then the 1LE option. Now the 6thGen.

Let Joe tell you what he wants, but anybody who has been around him knows he got in over his head on the ZL1, so he opted to get rid of it to buy a 1LE-equipped SS. He'll try to tell you it was because the latter was more "him" than the ZL1 and sings his current car's praises like it was touched by the hand of God. I applaud his passion for the Camaro, but if you are looking for an unbiased review of the new Camaro, you should avoid his drivel.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Seriously, you're putting up a review of one the most biased people in the world when it comes to the Camaro? From day one when I joined that site, well before the Gen5 ever went into production, GM could do no wrong. First, the SS was the best Camaro ever, even though the handling was sub-par for the segment. Then, the ZL1 was introduced and THAT was the bee's knees. Then the 1LE option. Now the 6thGen.

Let Joe tell you what he wants, but anybody who has been around him knows he got in over his head on the ZL1, so he opted to get rid of it to buy a 1LE-equipped SS. He'll try to tell you it was because the latter was more "him" than the ZL1 and sings his current car's praises like it was touched by the hand of God. I applaud his passion for the Camaro, but if you are looking for an unbiased review of the new Camaro, you should avoid his drivel.
Any story behind the name change from dragon eye to Mr. W?

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I gotta say, their instrument cluster and their center info screen kill the Mustang's. It's so much more refined and better looking. But, the placement of the vents are a yuck.

I don't know though, I've just never been a Chevy fan since it was my first car ever and just seemed kinda redneck-y. I will have to see this one in person before I decide. Like I said before, the biggest problem I have with this car is that the average person won't be able to tell this new model from the one that came out in 2009. It looks too similar.
I never bought the 08+WRX due to the placement of it's vents. Even if I liked the Camaro over the Mustang (which I don't, although I will admit I like the new styling), I wouldn't buy it just due to that horrid vent placement. Frostbite on my hands, no thank you.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Haha...yah that vent positioning is just odd. Even though you can turn them off...just seems to leave a lot of lack of air flow for the middle of the cabin.

Interesting that the people who have seen it in person say pictures don't do the new 6G Camaro justice...sounds like this board...lol.
Sponsored