Sponsored

Track the GT350 or Build a Track Car?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Hate to admit it, but my auto will not see the track that much. I may get there 1 or twice a year for now. I bought the GT350 for the pure fun of driving it sure, but I am not in the position to call myself a road warrior. Maybe I'll get there, but for now I will enjoy the car on my drives and when I make it to PBIR.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
We all have different levels of dedication that we are willing to put towards our various hobbies.

I have discovered that I like to dabble, but not go too deep. I love swimming and the ocean and seeing fish, but SCUBA is way too much of an overhead for me. I'll stick to a snorkel and a mask.

Love RC cars, but will be sticking with electric and non-lipo batteries.

Love the HPDE's, but have no desire to be duking it out with other drivers on track. Love that I can drive the GT350 to the track totally stock and still have a blast with almost no prep required. (Would always be swapping tires and pads on my 350Z).

For me, the GT350 (or similar modern sports car) is just about perfect. Minimal setup required, minimal fuss, maximum fun.

I try to be smart about where I push hard and where I back off a bit, just to maximize the safety aspect, but still have a great time.

-T

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
No question about it. Pony cars are too big and heavy to track. Itā€™s a wonderful GT and enjoy it as such. If you want to go fast round a track you need something light. Try a caterham 310R or if you want v8 power build an Ultima GTR. They are track monsters and cheaper to run than the mustang on a track due to less weight.

Ultima-GTR-Car-7.jpg

ultima-gtr_100505171_l.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No question about it. Pony cars are too big and heavy to track. Itā€™s a wonderful GT and enjoy it as such. If you want to go fast round a track you need something light. Try a caterham 310R or if you want v8 power build an Ultima GTR. They are track monsters and cheaper to run than the mustang on a track due to less weight.
Those are far too slow and heavy for me. I buy nothing but F1 cars for my couple trips per year to the track. :doh:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Those are far too slow and heavy for me. I buy nothing but F1 cars for my couple trips per year to the track. :doh:
He probably has never driven a GT350 none the less a base R. Pony car...LOL
To heavy...LOL 918 weighs up to 3700lbs, 911 encroaches 3700lbs as well LOL

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
He probably has never driven a GT350 none the less a base R. Pony car...LOL
To heavy...LOL 918 weighs up to 3700lbs, 911 encroaches 3700lbs as well LOL
I saw the post you're responding to and immediately logged in like waiiit a second - too heavy? you gotta be kidding. Glad I wasn't going crazy and others had same reaction

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I saw the post you're responding to and immediately logged in like waiiit a second - too heavy? you gotta be kidding. Glad I wasn't going crazy and others had same reaction
Well, IMO the GT350 is kind of a large, heavy barge. However, I am not made of money and I agree the modern production car alternatives are few and far between. I like Bossing's Miata and I think it would be a blast to have that as a third or fourth vehicle.. :)

I mostly just saw a prototypical "size of my bits" forum post and had to mock it. It's a flaw I have, I realize that.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well, IMO the GT350 is kind of a large, heavy barge. However, I am not made of money and I agree the modern production car alternatives are few and far between. I like Bossing's Miata and I think it would be a blast to have that as a third or fourth vehicle.. :)

I mostly just saw a prototypical "size of my bits" forum post and had to mock it. It's a flaw I have, I realize that.
I agree on the Miata tip - if I was Miata sized Iā€™d grab one without hesitation.

But, for comparison - a GT3 RS has a power to weight ratio of about .1508 compared to a GT350R at .1441. (For absurd comparison a McClaren P1 is .2736). The Miata is .0665.

So weā€™re pretty close to a RS - on the heavy side sure, but only 300lbs more than a MclClaren (though much less power).

Financially I get it. But power to weight wise I just donā€™t agree when people say this car is inefficient for the track compared to what others agree are excellent track cars.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Driving a slow car fast can be lots of fun (as long as it is a well balanced car, like a Miata). Trying to drive a mini-van fast may not be so enjoyable.

Another thought for the OP:
How competitive are you at the track? I have a friend who is an excellent driver, and always likes to be one of the faster cars. He had a modded Camaro 1LE for a while (previous generation), then moved on to a Viper GTS, and now has a Viper ACR. Needless to say, he is always one of the fastest cars out there (but that's because he is an excellent driver and has an excellent car). He definitely enjoys being near the top of the list.

I don't care as much about that, and am happier with a medium speed vehicle. However, it is nice to have some decent power because I am a decent driver (not great by any means) and catch quite a few people in the corners. In my 350Z it was always tough when you'd get a point-by on the straights but then run out of grunt to actually get past. With the GT350 that rarely is a problem.

So, if you did go with the modded Lexus, would you still feel satisfied at the track?

I drove a spec Miata once and while it handled like a go kart, the power (or lack thereof) left me feeling a little hollow. I really like the GT350 because it is such a well rounded vehicle in terms of both power and handling.

Just something to consider.

-T

Sponsored
OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Driving a slow car fast can be lots of fun (as long as it is a well balanced car, like a Miata). Trying to drive a mini-van fast may not be so enjoyable.

Another thought for the OP:
How competitive are you at the track? I have a friend who is an excellent driver, and always likes to be one of the faster cars. He had a modded Camaro 1LE for a while (previous generation), then moved on to a Viper GTS, and now has a Viper ACR. Needless to say, he is always one of the fastest cars out there (but that's because he is an excellent driver and has an excellent car). He definitely enjoys being near the top of the list.

I don't care as much about that, and am happier with a medium speed vehicle. However, it is nice to have some decent power because I am a decent driver (not great by any means) and catch quite a few people in the corners. In my 350Z it was always tough when you'd get a point-by on the straights but then run out of grunt to actually get past. With the GT350 that rarely is a problem.

So, if you did go with the modded Lexus, would you still feel satisfied at the track?

I drove a spec Miata once and while it handled like a go kart, the power (or lack thereof) left me feeling a little hollow. I really like the GT350 because it is such a well rounded vehicle in terms of both power and handling.

Just something to consider.

-T
I have thought of a Miata but it doesn't motivate me. I dont see that as rewarding car for me. People say its harder to drive a slow car fast. But I think its harder to drive a fast car fast(or as fast as you should be)

Competitive? very but I could satiate that in any car. In the GT350 I have to run down a car I "think" should be faster. I could have that feeling in any car.

Money aside id just run the GT350 its a no brainer.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You thought about not buying insurance? The money you spend in insurance for every day + the deductible will be damn near the cost of the repair over time. I can also say from my own experience, those who buy insurance typically drive more recklessly than those who don't (for obvious reasons). Not saying this is you, but maybe your odds are lower due to the way you drive.

Just a thought...

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
You thought about not buying insurance? The money you spend in insurance for every day + the deductible will be damn near the cost of the repair over time. I can also say from my own experience, those who buy insurance typically drive more recklessly than those who don't (for obvious reasons). Not saying this is you, but maybe your odds are lower due to the way you drive.

Just a thought...
I financed the car I couldnt rationalize the risk.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
I got my GT350 out at Sebring awhile back for a brief time. The car is fantastic. However, I canā€™t imagine trying to learn how to drive in one without a good harness which means a roll bar install. I mean the car is so fast and has so much grip that all I could do was hang on to the wheel, the shifter, etc. Itā€™s still possible to go fast but it really took the fun out of it for me. Iā€™m quite certain it is faster than any (legal) AI race car but hard to finger tip the car without a good harness. If you are on track, I highly recommend adding the safety equip. Without it, it will severely hinder your ability to learn to drive at the limit. Thatā€™s my .02.

Oh, and Miatas are always the answer but only if you want to read the paper or set your watch while driving down the back straight :)

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I got my GT350 out at Sebring awhile back for a brief time. The car is fantastic. However, I canā€™t imagine trying to learn how to drive in one without a good harness which means a roll bar install. I mean the car is so fast and has so much grip that all I could do was hang on to the wheel, the shifter, etc. Itā€™s still possible to go fast but it really took the fun out of it for me. Iā€™m quite certain it is faster than any (legal) AI race car but hard to finger tip the car without a good harness. If you are on track, I highly recommend adding the safety equip. Without it, it will severely hinder your ability to learn to drive at the limit. Thatā€™s my .02.

Oh, and Miatas are always the answer but only if you want to read the paper or set your watch while driving down the back straight :)
Love Sebring! And on that back straight between 16 & 17, I actually swap out CD's in the Miata. Go from Paul Anka to Engelbert Humperdinck... wait those are cassette tapes. :D

Joking aside though... yes the GT350 especially at Sebring will toss you to & from, side to side. My knees are well aware.... even in the gayazz Miata. :headbonk:
Sponsored