Sponsored

do I need to apply high-temp anti-seize for tranny/diff drain/fill bolts?

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
going to change the tranny and diff fluid tonight, just wondering if I need to apply any special anti-seize for the drain+fill bolts?

I got some of this, wonder if i should use it
91fEfz9Nx3L._SY445_.jpg

thanks
Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I used teflon tape.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I used automotive liquid teflon sealant. IMO that's what should be used for threaded plugs.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Are you changing the fluids because you actually have that much mileage or for another reason?

Sponsored

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
pretty much all track miles, tech pack car, no coolers on trans/diff

for the diff I will be putting in some 140 weight gear oil instead of the stock 85

Are you changing the fluids because you actually have that much mileage or for another reason?

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
pretty much all track miles, tech pack car, no coolers on trans/diff

for the diff I will be putting in some 140 weight gear oil instead of the stock 85
The thicker oil will make it run hotter, with or without cooler. Is that what you really want?

Last edited:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I like this stuff non hardening high temp
Permatex.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don't use that on plug threads. Use teflon tape or paste that is designed for the task.

Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I think your wrong here is manufacture instructions
DIRECTIONS:Apply thin, even coats to each surface. Allow to air-dry a few minutes before assembling. To thin sealant, add 188 proof denatured alcohol. For use on most types of gaskets, machined surfaces and screw thread connections of airplane and automobile engines. Good to 400'F.

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid-3/

click on INSTRUCTIONS

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Ive used that for over ten years..

Is it a bolt or plug? You shouldn't need anything on a bolt(I assume it has a washer)

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think your wrong here is manufacture instructions
DIRECTIONS:Apply thin, even coats to each surface. Allow to air-dry a few minutes before assembling. To thin sealant, add 188 proof denatured alcohol. For use on most types of gaskets, machined surfaces and screw thread connections of airplane and automobile engines. Good to 400'F.

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid-3/

click on INSTRUCTIONS
I've used it before and I wouldn't use it on threads.. It says to use in an engine, but I wouldn't use it there either. :cheers:

How do you apply it to both surfaces when you are using it on threads? :)

It's a sticky, glue like substance that helps to hold a gasket in place. I've only used it on valve cover and oil pan gaskets.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
FWIW, the factory applies a "paste" sealant to the OE transmission and diff plugs. And, at least in race applications (which is what I am familiar with), it is common practice to use a paste sealant for oil and transmission cooler connections. The reason is to avoid teflon thread debris from entering a closed system (teflon tape easily shreds), and the belief that a high-quality paste holds up better and provides a better seal in high-temp, chemical applications.

Using teflon tape is not categorically wrong in this application, but an appropriate high-temp thread sealant paste may be "better."

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I think i know what you are referring to, there are some red "paste" on the plug, and I think they are meant to act as a sealant.

at the end I didn't use anything additional.

FWIW, the factory applies a "paste" sealant to the OE transmission and diff plugs. And, at least in race applications (which is what I am familiar with), it is common practice to use a paste sealant for oil and transmission cooler connections. The reason is to avoid teflon thread debris from entering a closed system (teflon tape easily shreds), and the belief that a high-quality paste holds up better and provides a better seal in high-temp, chemical applications.

Using teflon tape is not categorically wrong in this application, but an appropriate high-temp thread sealant paste may be "better."
Sponsored