Sponsored

How to create the burble ? Exhaust notes of supercharged S550s

whtbt1.88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 fastback
Hi guys,

Some of the latest cars (especially the 6-cylinder Porsches) has some of the greatest exhaust notes. I loved the burble.
To be clear... you want to replicate the sound of a flat 6 rear mid or rear mounted motor with a front engined 5litre v8 that probably has an extra 8 feet of exhaust length?:ninja:
Sponsored

OP
OP

OaG_sGm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6-speed Manual AUS
Not just the mid engined V6, there are V8 tt Audis, V10 lambos does it right

The big dog seem to do it well, but it would have more to do the tune and exhaust structure, so maybe turbos have a better chance of creating the uneven back pressure.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
Xpipe helps IMHO.
My Xpipe+Borla

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I have a corsa sport, was worried about the police.
Do you have a video clip?

I think the difference is in the muffler. (sports vs extreme, the other pipes are exactly the same.) Only the inside of muffler make the difference.
I don't have a video of my own car, but this video shows the burble at low rpms

[ame]

Also this one right at the end [ame]

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
I am looking at the Hurst Elite Catback for mine as it has more of a muscle car note and has a little crackle when you back off. It is made by Flowmaster and while not one you hear much about it is available here from Rocket Industries.

I've heard most of them and while I thought of getting the full Hurricane system for a while I am thinking catback is fine for me for a while and I have a mate at Rocket who told me about these. I will have my car middle of January so should have it installed by the end. On line video below and remember this is a US version so I think the standard headers flow a little better than ours so it could be a little louder. I have had a video emailed to me of a car it was trialed on but it isn't mine so would rather not post it on You Tube.

[ame]

Reactions: ssb

Sponsored

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Hi guys,

Some of the latest cars (especially the 6-cylinder Porsches) has some of the greatest exhaust notes. I loved the burble.

I was told the burble (normally occurs when one decrease throttle dramatically) is created due to some cylinder firing order and uneven changes in the exhaust pressure, and it is actually not healthy to horse power.

Does anyone know who has created a similar note on the S550 using whatever combo (CAI, Exhaust, headers, manifolds, supercharger)

I was told the Harrop supercharger has a good note? I know Herrod's does not do any special sound. What about Whipples, Roush etc.
The burble is caused by the firing order and how much you can hear it depends on the exhaust you run. The crackle and popping on decel is as a result of changing the airflow in/out of the engine. I've got the Magnaflow Comp catback. Sounds really deep and growly and burbles nicely but it wasn't until i added the CAI to increase the airflow in and a tune to take advantage of the added airflow that it started to crackle on decel.

It will be dependent on the tune and the exhaust design. GENERALLY, the tune plus a free flowing exhaust is what works best. My Whipple tune, Stainless Power 1-7/8" OR LT's, and Stainless Works 3" LMF catback crackles quite nicely.
Got any videos or sound clips Daltron? Considering swapping to the same exhaust system as you to go full 3".

OP
OP

OaG_sGm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6-speed Manual AUS
The burble is caused by the firing order and how much you can hear it depends on the exhaust you run. The crackle and popping on decel is as a result of changing the airflow in/out of the engine. I've got the Magnaflow Comp catback. Sounds really deep and growly and burbles nicely but it wasn't until i added the CAI to increase the airflow in and a tune to take advantage of the added airflow that it started to crackle on decel.

Cool, i have a double X-pipe Corsa. So if i put a CAI and a tune, maybe ill get the cracks. I got some burbles already, but deep ones, a little bit like a motorbike's stroke exhaust sound if you know what i mean. If pops sometimes, but I think i could do with a bit more.

Rex Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 A180 South Seas Blue w/AMG Line
Hi all,

With fuel&ignition being controlled by the ECU these days, I"m pretty sure you could ask a tuner to make this happen.

The normal fuel saving strategy by Ford would be to cut fuel on throttle lift, but cars like the A45/FocusRS/Jag X-type/etc keep on injecting a bit of fuel so that it burns in the exhaust. I think those engines that have direct injection can manage this a bit easier, esp. with variable exhaust valve timing.

FYI - there's a lumpy cam tune you can get (using the variable cam phasing) too.

Since the Coyote 5.0 is port injected, I'm not sure how well/what reliability issues you will have by keeping some fuel going (with ign cut) on the deccel, but I'm sure a tuner out there has done it.

Actually now that I think about it, the DI engines can also use the spark plug to ignite the fuel on an open exhaust valve :p

Anywoo, this might be a cheaper option.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
I've heard/read somewhere that it's not possible to tune this on the Mustang.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

Got any videos or sound clips Daltron? Considering swapping to the same exhaust system as you to go full 3".
Let me try to get something this week. Definitely "agressive" but EXTREMELY loud.

Sponsored

Rex Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 A180 South Seas Blue w/AMG Line
I've heard/read somewhere that it's not possible to tune this on the Mustang.
Well this might be so, but I highly doubt it. Someone posted up an in-depth article by some tuners about what you can do on the S550 ECU, and it's just a modern ECU, so you technically can. Maybe Ford/Bosch (or whoever supplies the ECU) has locked it down, but not sure why they'd do this. Or even how they'd do it.

I did FSAE at uni, and even on a basic aftermarket ECU like MoTeC M4/48/400, you can specify over-run deccel fuel cut, etc. There can't be any technical reason that a modern OEM ECU can't be made to do it. Just keep fuelling on over-run and the mixture will ignite on the hot exhaust valves :D

Reactions: ssb

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well this might be so, but I highly doubt it. Someone posted up an in-depth article by some tuners about what you can do on the S550 ECU, and it's just a modern ECU, so you technically can. Maybe Ford/Bosch (or whoever supplies the ECU) has locked it down, but not sure why they'd do this. Or even how they'd do it.

I did FSAE at uni, and even on a basic aftermarket ECU like MoTeC M4/48/400, you can specify over-run deccel fuel cut, etc. There can't be any technical reason that a modern OEM ECU can't be made to do it. Just keep fuelling on over-run and the mixture will ignite on the hot exhaust valves :D
I'm not up with all the latest in tuning and whatever but I'm kinda thinking that there may be a relationship between the "rev hang" we have between gears and the lack of engine braking for the initial part of deceleration.
The fact that you can actually hear the engine note change after a second or so of deceleration sort of hints at the fact that the throttle body isn't instantly snapped completely shut once you let off.
How this contributes to the crackly sounds emanating from the rear, I have no idea, but I think this may be part of how a tune makes the car sound a little different, particularly in that decel phase. :shrug:

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Cool, i have a double X-pipe Corsa. So if i put a CAI and a tune, maybe ill get the cracks. I got some burbles already, but deep ones, a little bit like a motorbike's stroke exhaust sound if you know what i mean. If pops sometimes, but I think i could do with a bit more.
I'm sure if you tune it and add a CAI you'll get a lot more crackling. Tried finding a couple of youtube clips for you but couldn't get anything with a nice clean comparison between an aftermarket exhaust on a stock car and the same exhaust on a tuned car but the sound difference is very noticeable.

I'm not up with all the latest in tuning and whatever but I'm kinda thinking that there may be a relationship between the "rev hang" we have between gears and the lack of engine braking for the initial part of deceleration.
The fact that you can actually hear the engine note change after a second or so of deceleration sort of hints at the fact that the throttle body isn't instantly snapped completely shut once you let off.
How this contributes to the crackly sounds emanating from the rear, I have no idea, but I think this may be part of how a tune makes the car sound a little different, particularly in that decel phase. :shrug:
As far as I understand it (no expert here so take what i'm cooking with a pinch of salt), the crackling is a result of a rich condition from a little bit of unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust hence why tuning makes it crackle. Most tuners will tune a slightly richer mixture which is less efficient but makes more power and burns cooler therefore safer and kinder to the engine. I definitely noticed more crackling each time going from stock+exhaust to exhaust+tune (Lund) to exhaust+tune+CAI.

rayan1910

Mustangs Of Melbourne
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible