Sponsored

No mention of changes in "updated" MT-82?

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I detailed the changes to the MT82 in an upcoming video but I love the ratios with the 3:73s. In my old car I was always in 5th, its nice to have 4th usable again.

This actually interests me quite a bit. My only real gripe is that my gearing around town isn't that great. I'm either in 4th at like 3k or in 5th too low.
Sponsored

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs
This actually interests me quite a bit. My only real gripe is that my gearing around town isn't that great. I'm either in 4th at like 3k or in 5th too low.
4th is now perfect around town. I always found myself in 5th before. With the 3:73s it feels really good.

cpelaez1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black 5.0 Vert
4th is now perfect around town. I always found myself in 5th before. With the 3:73s it feels really good.
Does this revised MT-82 still have the infamous clunk most of us are used to by now?

OP
OP
UAmach1

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Does this revised MT-82 still have the infamous clunk most of us are used to by now?
You mean in the rear? Even the 3650's had that, it's slack in the drivetrain.

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs
Yes it does make a huge difference. The clunk comes from the rear but a lot of the issue was the engagement. The twin disc and dual mass flywheel don't engage as abruptly which helps a lot.

Sponsored

esco11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yes it does make a huge difference. The clunk comes from the rear but a lot of the issue was the engagement. The twin disc and dual mass flywheel don't engage as abruptly which helps a lot.
I really hope these can be swapped onto the previous gen and they aren't too expensive. The new gear ratios seem like way better setup overall though.

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2016 GT and put a Barton Hybrid 3 in which really helped a lot. I want to improve engagement as well...I am thinking about installing a twin disc clutch and dual mass flywheel to improve things as well. Do I need to necessarily wait for the Ford Performance parts for the 2018 to be available for the 2016 or can I use the readily available aftermarket parts and achieve similar results.. (Mcleod, Spec etc..)

Sponsored

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
what about the clutch spring? still needs modification to feel good?

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
what about the clutch spring? still needs modification to feel good?
I just test drove an 18 with the performance pack and the best compliment I can pay it is that I completely forgot about the clutch.

I actually got rid of my 15 GT performance pack because I hated the engagement point , non-linearity, and lurches between first and second gear. I was ALWAYS cognizant of where the clutch was and what it was doing when driving it.

While driving the 18 I was talking to the saleswoman and I didn't have to think about the clutch and engagement points. It convinced me enough to order one.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I like the new ratios. Who wants to be shifting gears like theyre driving a peterbilt lol. Two shifts and all you gotta do is wind out 3rd for a 1/4 mile run.
I do. The gear ratios along with the 3.73 rear are some of my favorite parts of the 15-17. If I didn't want to shift, I would've gotten an automatic. In my opinion, the 15-17 gears make the car a ton of fun for the street, which is where I do most of my driving.

With that said, I can understand how the new ratios could be better for the track and strip. I do have to shift a lot during track days, which is one reason why I did a GT350 manifold/OPG/CS install so I could wind it out a little further in each gear.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I do. The gear ratios along with the 3.73 rear are some of my favorite parts of the 15-17.
I do too, especially for the track driving I do. It's nice to have the extra gear if I need it.

1.69 3rd and 1.32 4th are good, 2.43 2nd is way to short and 1.00 5th is too tall.

Now 3rd is 1.4x which is ok, but if you need slightly more pull you have to go down to 2.1x 2nd which is a bit too short. The extra gear 1.69 was the sweetspot and now it's gone.

But I imagine for street driving and drag racing the new gearing is better.