Oxfordbp

2016 Mustang GT/ CS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Cali Special
Yep, I forgot those two pesky bolts under the wheel well. Broke the plastic right off. Is there a quick fix or anything? It went back together fine and seems sturdy, but I'm nervous it will detach at the corner point.
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I think as far as the bumper staying attached is concerned, you will be fine.

If the panel is now not sitting flush with the fender at the corner point, you could try repairing the broken plastic with some 2 part epoxy.

Last edited:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
You had to yank really hard to break the plastic bumper from the fender bolts. Bumper 101, never yank and never pound it.

I'm just not sure why you did that without thinking there is something holding it together.... Or researching removal first.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Don't worry about it. I haven't had them on my bumper for a year. The bumper has been on and off multiple times, survived multiple track days, and never once have those two little bolts been missed. ;)

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Don't worry about it. I haven't had them on my bumper for a year. The bumper has been on and off multiple times, survived multiple track days, and never once have those two little bolts been missed. ;)
Did the corners still fit flush? I remember someone saying before that their bumpers actually fit better without the bolts installed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Oxfordbp

2016 Mustang GT/ CS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Cali Special
You had to yank really hard to break the plastic bumper from the fender bolts. Bumper 101, never yank and never pound it.

I'm just not sure why you did that without thinking there is something holding it together.... Or researching removal first.
I pulled just as hard as the other areas. I'm a beast. Lol jk seriously I didn't pull that much harder.

OP
OP

Oxfordbp

2016 Mustang GT/ CS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Cali Special
Did the corners still fit flush? I remember someone saying before that their bumpers actually fit better without the bolts installed.
Yes, it went back together just fine. I'm just worried it will pop out on occasion. I know the bumper with fall off.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Guys -

Is removing and replacing the front bumper a one man job? Or should I get a buddy to help?

I've seen videos and read instructions and it seems straight forward.

Thanks.

OP
OP

Oxfordbp

2016 Mustang GT/ CS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Cali Special
Easily a one man job. Just don't forget all the bolts. Lol

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Yes, it went back together just fine. I'm just worried it will pop out on occasion. I know the bumper with fall off.
The only time I had it pop out was when I went off course during a track day. I suspect if the bolt was in place it would have actually damaged the bumper instead of just popping the corner loose.

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
Broke the plastic right off...I'm nervous it will detach at the corner point.
It will, but only enough to annoy the hell out of you visually.

I did plenty of research and knew about the bolts. Yet even after removing the bolts my passenger side clips were already broken (or nearly broken) from the factory. The slightest bit of force popped them right off.

I also know two vert owners whose passenger side clips were broken from stock. One of them hasn't even been taken off the car and it has the issue. I actually wonder if there was/is an issue with the install at the factory. Or perhaps a manufacturing, packaging or handling defect when the bumpers are delivered to the plant.

Mine sits okay, but it's definitely not aligned correctly anymore. Also, after several weeks of driving with the clips broken it appears that the joint moves. This may be dependent on temperature or perhaps due to the force of the air hitting the front of the car. I'm thinking about just applying some 3M automotive tape behind it to keep it in place. Even if I have to replace the tape once a year, it's better than seeing the misalignment.

Is removing and replacing the front bumper a one man job? Or should I get a buddy to help?
It can be a one man job, but I found it much easier with a helper. It still took us four hours (first time removing an S550 bumper). And my buddy still hasn't stopped ribbing me about breaking my bumper clips. "My side came out just fine!" Uuuggghhh! That's what friends are for, I guess. :thumbsup:

jed_the_blade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 GT mustang
I did plenty of research and knew about the bolts. Yet even after removing the bolts my passenger side clips were already broken (or nearly broken) from the factory. The slightest bit of force popped them right off.

It can be a one man job, but I found it much easier with a helper. It still took us four hours (first time removing an S550 bumper). And my buddy still hasn't stopped ribbing me about breaking my bumper clips. "My side came out just fine!" Uuuggghhh! That's what friends are for, I guess.
Same with mine! I didnt even have to pull at all...Looked in and the passenger side was torn half off. :rant::tsk:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
never yank and never pound it
I pulled just as hard as the other areas. I'm a beast. Lol jk seriously I didn't pull that much harder.
Guys should I get a buddy to help?
I've seen videos and read instructions and it seems straight forward.
Easily a one man job.
Thanks, Bobby. I thought so. :cheers:
The only time I had it pop out was when I went off course during a track day.
It will, but only enough to annoy the hell out of you visually.

It can be a one man job, but I found it much easier with a helper. That's what friends are for, I guess. :thumbsup:
Same with mine! I didnt even have to pull at all...:tsk:
yes - comedy rules when simple statements can be taken out of context - all in jest and no disrespect intended......

:lol::lol::lol::D:D:D

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Resurrecting a dead thread here, but I just had my tabs break yesterday when autocrossing. The RH side was sticking out for some unknown reason before I ever ran, and I just popped it back in. Then later I absolutely murdered a couple cones, and when I got back to grid I noticed the LH side was completely goobered up with the tabs broken.

Then last night there was someone on a Mustang facebook page that installed Quick-Latches to hold the grill in place. I would link her post but I don't want to without her permission. It ended up looking pretty good on her car, so I am going to go that route, with red anodized latches. Part number is QL-25-RD22.

If she gives me permission, I'll post pics of them installed on her car...
quik-latch.jpg
Sponsored