Sponsored

GT350 vs Hellcat: different class or competitors?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Charger 392? Oh, hello, my ultimate daily driver, how are you?

I'll be starting my gofundme. All donations appreciated.

MastrHU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I have a GT350 because the Hellcat deal fell through. Can't say I like the GT350 better because I never drove a Hellcat. I will say the GT350 is a great driving car but my last car was a 600+whp Supra. I still miss that rush from power and that still makes me curious. My local dealer just got a plum crazy Hellcat and if it wasn't for the $5k ADM, I'd somewhat consider ditching my GT350 for it.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I saw a test with the Hellcat Challenger vs. a regular Mustang GT PP. The GT PP was faster around the track and the reviewer selected the Mustang GT PP over the Hellcat.

People dump on it because it's a pig (heavy). However, I've been at a track day at a road course and the non-Hellcat Challenger didn't seem excessively slow. The problem comes in when you introduce such a torquey and high HP engine (the Hellcat engine is also significantly heavier); you will have trouble putting the power down - guaranteed.

You are saying that the tires on the Hellcat are good? 20x9.5 wheels with 275 section tires? For 707 HP? I saw a video where a bunch of people (including engineers from Chrysler) tried 0-60 runs with the hellcat challenger over and over and their best time was 4.7 seconds. And this was on a very nice surface with the rear tires aired down (and the front tires aired up!) to get the best 0-60 times. Odds are good the GT350 or even a regular GT will walk the Challenger Hellcat 0-60 on any given day on the street (if they are all in stock form).
Not quite sure where you got your info but the testing done for the press at the Chrysler proving grounds had the Hellcat Challenger doing 0-60 in 2.95 seconds and the Hellcat Charger slightly faster at 2.90, this was on street tires.

The fast 1/4 mile guys are knocking on the 9's with drag radials and running mid 10's on street tires.

Granted the Challenger is a large car and is not the best choice if your purpose is road course work but it certainly is not a pig.

Dave

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I love the hellcat! It brings attitude and big speed! It's not a track toy. But most cars aren't. Being big is a selling point for some people. For me the low 11 second 1/4 stock times are the selling point.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Always wanted Dodge to make a Mustang sized 'Cuda. They missed the boat to compete with the S550....

They are, its supposed to be available in 17 as an 18 model. It will use an alfa platform and be powered by a twin turbo v6. Plenty of rumors of it being called Barracuda but that remains to be seen, supposedly less retro than the current Challenger.

Dave

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
Don't like Dodge. Don't like Chebby either.:ford:

Sponsored

V8Venom

700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Not quite sure where you got your info but the testing done for the press at the Chrysler proving grounds had the Hellcat Challenger doing 0-60 in 2.95 seconds and the Hellcat Charger slightly faster at 2.90, this was on street tires.

The fast 1/4 mile guys are knocking on the 9's with drag radials and running mid 10's on street tires.

Dave
Dave,

I'd really like to know where you pulled this data from for sub 3 second 0-60 times and on street tires and mid 10's on street tires. The times are more closer to mid 3's and mid to high 11's in the quarter, with them running 10's on drag's. I know Dodge's website says 11.2, but thats on an NHRA track and probably with professional drivers which the average Joe is not.

I can personally attest to how fast a Hellcat is because I've raced one many, many times, with the same result each and every time. Me walking him really badly. I LOVE the Challenger. I think it is a gorgeous car, while very heavy, it was done right. The other "muscle" cars that were brought back in my opinion are just ugly. The Charger has gotten much prettier but still should not be called a Charger IMO. With that being said, I thought the Hellcat was very basic in the looks department and as far as interior goes. I guess I just expected a bit more for the price. I do not feel like there is a whole lot that separates it from a 392. Now I am not a Dodge enthusiast and do not the car inside and out so this is just at glancing. I do like a cool feature that the driver side headlight has a hole next to it which looks like a light for air to get to the intake. It seems like Dodge spent all the money on power and performance, which I am alright with. The Hellcat is definitely no slouch and surprisingly hugs the road more than you may think it would. However, it is just too heavy for my taste and I would never trade my Mustang for it, plus I get the satisfaction of destroying a car that cost twice as much as mine (including my mods) and that look of bewilderment on my friends face when it happens :headbang:

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2

Granted the Challenger is a large car and is not the best choice if your purpose is road course work but it certainly is not a pig.

Dave
Sorry But you are wrong..NO way in any mag has the Hell cat done 0-60 in 2.9 sec. A buddy of mine as one and he could never get under 5 sec ..tires just spin. My M5 Sport stays neck and neck with him...

The Hell cat is fun no doubt, but totally a different car than the GT350

Snakedriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've driven both. The only advantage the GT350 has is on a road course otherwise the Hellcat destroys it. The Hellcat is a beast!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I've driven both. The only advantage the GT350 has is on a road course otherwise the Hellcat destroys it. The Hellcat is a beast!
How is that even a logical statement?... Doesn't even make sense.

The Hellcat is a one-circus pony show. How many times have you seen the Hellcat compared to Porsches, Z06s, Ferraris, M2/3/4s? This whole comparison makes no sense.

It doesn't destroy the 350... It merely does one thing "faster" - a straight line. It does nothing better than a Focus ST otherwise. It didn't even get the PCOTY in 2014 or 2015... Wasn't even a candidate in 2015. No one accolades the Hellcat as a gamechanger, just a straight line brute, which is what it is and will always be till it goes to Jenny Craig and finds a better chassis.

And by the way, it has to do all of this being forced. Smh...
Sponsored