Tried Dr. Color Chip

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
I ordered a Dr. Color Chip kit for both my Triple Yellow Mustang, my bright silver GMC pickup, and my wife's Acura.

On the Mustang, the results were amazing. You can only see where chips occurred if you look really close. I'm very pleased. An inch long scratch that was there since I bought the car (never noticed when I took delivery) is now virtually invisible.

The results on my truck, however, were just so-so; maybe because of the color or because it's metallic paint. It did work, and the chips/scratches are less noticeable; however, I did not get the same great results I had with the Stang.

I have one more car to do: my wife's Acura RDX. It is a medium bluish/silver metallic. We'll see how it does there.

Cheers,
John
Sponsored

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
I used it on my dark candy apple red 08 GT with fairly good results on a couple of small chips.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I've been looking at buying this kit. Can't get a nice finish using the OEM touch up pen.

Anyone used this on Deep Impact Blue? Interested to see/hear some feedback.

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I've been looking at buying this kit. Can't get a nice finish using the OEM touch up pen.

You can get a really good finish but you need a razor, some nibs, various grades of sandpaper and a bunch of time and patience.

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
You can get a really good finish but you need a razor, some nibs, various grades of sandpaper and a bunch of time and patience.
Is there a process you can share?

Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP

I have. Worked great. I don't have any pics yet, because I've run into a situation whereby I will need to redo it all (we have granite on the roads year round here, and I was forced to delay Xpel installation). I would recommend the kit with no hesitation, and you have thousands of chips like I do, definitely get the squeegee.

buymycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT base. Roush axleback and frpp xpipe.
Used it this weekend on my dib gt. Had one small chip down to the paint and one large cup down to the paint. Still noticeable but only when looking closely. Need to do a couple more coats but happy with the results

buymycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT base. Roush axleback and frpp xpipe.
I did 5 initial coats but will need to do several more. Very easy to use

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I have w big two small stone chips on my hood, where the buldge is. Looks like it is down to the primer. How well did dr colorchip work for you? i do not care about the bumper so much, really worried about the hood so it doesnt peel, or rust? The kits seem a bit expensive, is it worth it? Can i polish once the paint has cured, or will polish bring the paint out? Also dr colorship doesnt have a clear coat?

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
I have w big two small stone chips on my hood, where the buldge is. Looks like it is down to the primer. How well did dr colorchip work for you? i do not care about the bumper so much, realyl worried about the hood so it doesnt peel, or rust. The kits seem a bit expensive. Can i polish once the paint as cured, or will polish bring the paint out? Also dr colorship doesnt have a clear coat?
Don't need the clear coat. Dr. Color chip polishes just fine. I've found Dr. Color Chip takes some practice, but works well on solid colored cars. Not so much on metallic paint. I've made chips on my triple yellow car virtually invisible. Price is worth it.

One thing I found when using the Seal Act is to use a lot on the special cloth and wipe VERY lightly.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Yes, please share more details.

I am considering sticking on Scotch tape in a square around the chip, and then using a razor blade to trim it close to flush. I wasn't considering using sandpaper, but just the Sealact.
Sponsored