Sponsored

Aftermarket GT350 Transmission Cooler Install w/ pics & part list (Base & Tech Pack))

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base (arriving Dec 2015)
This weekend I finished my Manual transmission cooler on my base model GT350. My install builds on the work of SVTDSM as per this (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49659) thread. I would highly recommend anyone wanting to do this to check out that thread.

For those wanting to see what a complete factory retrofit looks like (replacing the transmission at al. ) see this thread by Hack : http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79125

The focus of my build was for someone (like me) who doesn't have a lift or a fully equipped garage.

My build does not involve drilling any extra holes in the car and is reversible.

My build was done in my very tiny garage with basic tools.

My build took a full weekend to build (friday night to Sunday afternoon). Note that the vast majority of that time was figuring out where the brackets would fit and then making them.

So first things first. The parts list:
Air duct: FR3Z8310F (ford part number)
Cooler: 70266 B&M super cooler* (10"x11.5") (from local parts store)

*one could also substitute in CX racing cooler below which is closer to the stock size. CX racing part: OC-608-15-NPT3_4 Overall Size (Includes Fitting Height): 9.75" x 9" x1.5" 15 row (link: https://www.cxracing.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=1031 )

Pump: MOC-17522HT
Bracket: Home Brew: 2inch by 1/4" plate steel (about 24inch long)
1"X1/8" by 17" long
misc metal for pump mount
Wiring: misc. wire and switch for pump.
Hose: 15 feet 8AN braided hose
Fitting:
4 x 1/2" to 8AN for cooler and transmission
2 x 3/8" to 8AN for pump fittings
6 x 90 degree 8AN swivel fitting (I used red horse brand from local parts store)
Bolts: misc: 3/8 & 5/16 bolts

Now to the install.

PART 1: Getting into the fender well

34025308984_b5591ece4d_b.jpg
image1 (009) by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^I assume all here can get their car safely jacked up and get the wheel off. I have the streeda jacking rails on my car which for those planning to do their own work without a lift is definitely a must have mod. BMR also make a jacking rail which i hear is also a very nice piece. So with the car jacked and the wheel off this is what you are presented with. With panel puller (fork shaped tool) or carefully with a screwdriver or vice grips pull all the pull pins out of the inner fenderwell. (Note that 2017+ cars and tech pack cars may have their shocks look different as those cars have magride.)

PFj7FuX.jpg
34058274663_dea8f1efc5_b.jpg
image2 (002) by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^When pulling out the push pins for the inner fenderwell there is one last push pin that is accessed from the transmission tunnel just behind where I am pointing.

34482420830_22b3753a68_b.jpg
image3 by bmalkins2, on Flickr
wYorN4tr.jpg

^Once the plastic inner fenderwell is out this is what you will be presented with. Note that the brake cooling tube has a push pin attaching it to the bumper. Once that pin is out, it just pulls out easy.

Continued in next post
Sponsored

Last edited:

stshoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Avalanche w/Black Stripe and roof, tech pack
This weekend I finished my Manual transmission cooler on my base model GT350. My install builds on the work of SVTDSM as per this (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49659) thread. I would highly recommend anyone wanting to do this to check out that thread.

The focus of my build was for someone (like me) who doesn't have a lift or a fully equipped garage.

My build does not involve drilling any extra holes in the car and is reversible.

My build was done in my very tiny garage with basic tools.

My build took a full weekend to build (friday night to Sunday afternoon). Note that the vast majority of that time was figuring out where the brackets would fit and then making them.

So first things first. The parts list:
Air duct: FR3Z8310F (ford part number)
Cooler: 70266 B&M super cooler* (10"x11.5") (from local parts store)

*one could also substitute in CX racing cooler below which is closer to the stock size. CX racing part: OC-608-15-NPT3_4 Overall Size (Includes Fitting Height): 9.75" x 9" x1.5" 15 row (link: https://www.cxracing.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=1031 )

Pump: MOC-17522HT
Bracket: Home Brew: 2inch by 1/4" plate steel (about 24inch long)
1"X1/8" by 17" long
misc metal for pump mount
Wiring: misc. wire and switch for pump.
Hose: 15 feet 8AN braided hose
Fitting:
4 x 3/4" to 8AN for cooler and transmission
2 x 3/8" to 8AN for pump fittings
6 x 90 degree 8AN swivel fitting (I used red horse brand from local parts store)
Bolts: misc: 3/8 & 5/16 bolts

Now to the install.

PART 1: Getting into the fender well

ONb7gse.jpg

^I assume all here can get their car safely jacked up and get the wheel off. I have the streeda jacking rails on my car which for those planning to do their own work without a jack is definitely a mush have mod. BMR also make a jacking rail which i hear is also a very nice piece. So with the car jacked and the wheel off this is what you are presented with. With panel puller (fork shaped tool) or carefully with a screwdriver or vice grips pull all the pull pins out of the inner fenderwell. (Note that 2017+ cars and tech pack cars may have their shocks look different as those cars have magride.)

PFj7FuX.jpg

^When pulling out the push pins for the inner fenderwell there is one last push pin that is accessed from the transmission tunnel just behind where I am pointing.

wYorN4tr.jpg

^Once the plastic inner fenderwell is out this is what you will be presented with. Note that the brake cooling tube have a push pin attaching it to the bumper. Once that is out it just pull out.

Continued in next post
Just FYI that your pics aren't showing up

OP
OP

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Part 2: Getting the scoop in and stalling the main support

34482420770_077abba4cf_b.jpg
IMG_3169 by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^With a trusty 7mm socket remove the factory vent block off plate. Save the screws you take out!

34058275083_146160ed16_b.jpg
image1 (00A) by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^ now when you get the air duct from ford it will look like this. Which doesn't look like a duct UNTIL YOU FOLD IT. Me and the parts guys both felt super dumb when we got the part and thought it was wrong as it didn't look like the picture. But if you fold the tabs together......

34025308714_591e8e331a_b.jpg
image2 (003) by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^... it looks exactly like one would expect. Pie on our faces. So a small thing to be aware of.

I3YvnP8r.jpg
34058274433_7aab9cb28c_b.jpg
image3 (002) by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^ Next I took out the two small bolts at the front of the rad mount (were the wrench is pointing) with a 8mm socket. This bolts will form one of the 2 mounting points for my bracket (other being above the washer fluid see later steps)

34025308484_315634d4a3_b.jpg
image4 by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^ Picture of said bolts as viewed from the front.

5yec06M.jpg
34058274943_8503c4276f_b.jpg
image1 (00B) by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^Next start fabbing the lower mount starting with the two rad mount holes. Note that I measured their center to center distance as 4.3cm. Once those holes are drilled see below step

34482420970_a538ddbd89_b.jpg
image2 (004) by bmalkins2, on Flickr
^Now install the air duct and test install the bracket. You will need to add a bend into the bracket so that it lines up with the angle of the air duct. Note that since I used thick steel you may need to cut a small notch in the steel to make bending it easier. Heating it would also work. Also in the above pictures shows my first draft of the pump mounting location.

Continued next post. (upper support and rad mount)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Not showing up Earl. What host are you using?

OP
OP

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not showing up Earl. What host are you using?
imagr , I have my setting set to public. I copy the image link (http/....) as per their instructions, use the insert image link. It shows for me. Then I reload the back and it's gone.

not sure whats up

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Access to i.imgur.com was denied

You don't have authorization to view this page.
HTTP ERROR 403

OP
OP

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am switched back to flikr which I know works. Can everyone see pictures now?

Last edited:

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Nice!

Thanks, good work! Can you share how you did the electrical hook up?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Great work Earl. Keep it up!