Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback PP Manual
OK a bit of a long story.
I picked my Mustang up in June last year. Love it and started some fairly standard mods.
Immediately after the 3000km service, I had a full set of Headers and 3" exhaust installed, at the same time fitted the airaid CAI.
I got the Check Engine Light as I expected from the full exhaust but when we checked the codes, it was chucking up a bunch of codes.
p0010
p0013
p0020
p0023
p0135
p0141

and a even a few more. Some are crank angle sensors and cam shaft position sensors for both banks. The thing is engine runs fine. I rang the guy who did the exhasut and he said it must be just other faults thrown by the O2 sensors, so I clear all of the faults and the CEL disappears for a maybe a day, then comes back on (only when I start the car, never while driving)
So I got a tune from a reputable tuning shop here, CEL stays off although codes are there if I check the PCM, car runs well for a few months but now my air fuel sensor is staying put on 14:1. A trip to the tuning house confirms, the PCM is playing up. Flash back to stock, air fuel ration stays at 14:1. We suspect a faulty O2 sensor so I send it into a sympathetic Ford dealer.

O2 sensors are fine, Ford are aware the car has been flashed and are washing their hands of it.

Long story short, is I can live with the "ghost" PCM fault codes, but the O2 sensor means car is running rich and I have no idea where to go next. I know it's not the tune that did this. Codes were coming up before the car was tuned. I know I've stuffed up by not taking it to Ford then but what do I do now? Buy a PCM and test it? Any ideas of how I can reset the PCM, not just reflash back to stock, but to try and clear the air fuel mix being stuck on 14:1?
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
If the PCM unit has taken a crap, you can buy a take-off used PCM (eBay) and then have a dealer program it to your car.

Then reflash the new PCM with your tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tim, I haven't seen any 2015/16/17 ones yet. I'll keep looking.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Have you considered just unplugging the PCM and taking it to a dealer to see if they can do a complete reset back to stock and see if it clears up the issues?

OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Have you considered just unplugging the PCM and taking it to a dealer to see if they can do a complete reset back to stock and see if it clears up the issues?
Tim, wasn't sure if that was something they could do?
I might ring a friendly dealer today and ask if they can do it.

Sponsored

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
OK a bit of a long story.
I picked my Mustang up in June last year. Love it and started some fairly standard mods.
Immediately after the 3000km service, I had a full set of Headers and 3" exhaust installed, at the same time fitted the airaid CAI.
I got the Check Engine Light as I expected from the full exhaust but when we checked the codes, it was chucking up a bunch of codes.
p0010
p0013
p0020
p0023
p0135
p0141

and a even a few more. Some are crank angle sensors and cam shaft position sensors for both banks. The thing is engine runs fine. I rang the guy who did the exhasut and he said it must be just other faults thrown by the O2 sensors, so I clear all of the faults and the CEL disappears for a maybe a day, then comes back on (only when I start the car, never while driving)
So I got a tune from a reputable tuning shop here, CEL stays off although codes are there if I check the PCM, car runs well for a few months but now my air fuel sensor is staying put on 14:1. A trip to the tuning house confirms, the PCM is playing up. Flash back to stock, air fuel ration stays at 14:1. We suspect a faulty O2 sensor so I send it into a sympathetic Ford dealer.

O2 sensors are fine, Ford are aware the car has been flashed and are washing their hands of it.

Long story short, is I can live with the "ghost" PCM fault codes, but the O2 sensor means car is running rich and I have no idea where to go next. I know it's not the tune that did this. Codes were coming up before the car was tuned. I know I've stuffed up by not taking it to Ford then but what do I do now? Buy a PCM and test it? Any ideas of how I can reset the PCM, not just reflash back to stock, but to try and clear the air fuel mix being stuck on 14:1?
Those PCM's rarely go bad - there must be something wrong with the tune. Try to find someone with VCM and IDS and load the stock tune as-build -
usually it helps. But you need to remember that stock tune will throw a DTC with headers.

I would help you as I have those tools but I'm in a different part of the world.

OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Thank VeeFour, but why would it throw all those codes prior to the tune? The only thing I've heard of that can bring up a whole heap of weird faults in an earthing issue,causing the sensors to missread and throw codes.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Thank VeeFour, but why would it throw all those codes prior to the tune? The only thing I've heard of that can bring up a whole heap of weird faults in an earthing issue,causing the sensors to missread and throw codes.
Well - the only thing that comes to my mind: damaged sensors/wires during installation.

OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Thanks gentlemen,
Does anyone know how long it takes to load the stock tune as-build? They want the car for a day which I don't mind, just couldn't imagine it taking more than an hour to do?

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Thanks gentlemen,
Does anyone know how long it takes to load the stock tune as-build? They want the car for a day which I don't mind, just couldn't imagine it taking more than an hour to do?
20 min tops.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Thanks mate

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
you may want to check the grounds, its an easy way to have a bunch of codes get flipped that seem unrelated.

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
you may want to check the grounds, its an easy way to have a bunch of codes get flipped that seem unrelated.
Agreed. I think where your air raid filter mounts, you have to remove one of the grounds

OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I think where your air raid filter mounts, you have to remove one of the grounds
Thanks gents, I'll check the under hood ground and the footwell fuse box ground (I installed a dashcam earth here). Wondering if there are any others?
Sponsored