Sponsored

Rattle noise

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I know there are some topics discussed regarding transmission and engine noises but I can't find a thread describing what I am experiencing. At low RPM, there is a significant metallic rattle at 2k rpm and above. Not at idle. It comes on a light throttle at rest or under load and goes up to 4K. I've heard it can be oil pressure, piston slap (whatever that means) or just part of the voodoo character. Dealer has investigated, no lose parts or bolts, as no clue but states that since it only happens under throttle that it "isn't critical". Any thought appreciated.
Sponsored

swlacobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 2016 z06 convertable
and as has been said this is a common thing on forged pistons

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
Probable piston slap when considering the pistons are barely skirted compared to old school piston design. The slap noise is the pistons rocking in the bore.

Generally more noticeable with a cold engine because everything hasn't had time to warm up and expand yet. The heat expansion reducing the clearances.

Another noise you might hear is the transmission rattling at idle.

If the perceived piston slap continues to get significantly louder, then you might want the dealer to check it out again.

Last edited:

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
The piston slap has gone away on mine, well, since i last started it last December after storing it away for winter. :doh:

Looking forward to hearing it again in the Spring.....
Sponsored