Sponsored

Automatic paddle shifter relocation and sequential shifter box

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
Guys,

So I finished the install of my shifter, and decided to start a new thread featuring this mod.

While I intended to make a kit to do the install, I have now decided to just document it fully on this forum, and help out anybody interested in doing something similar.

The shifter assembly is from a company called DSD. Derek Speare designs makes very awesome sim racing components, and his sequential shifter is what I used to mod my car.

The wiring diagram aquired from my ford service advisor neighbor, made the install pretty easy.

Driving the car is now as viceral, and exciting as a manual car. To be able to shift while turning, has now really made the driving experience awesome. I missed the t5 of my old s197, and this really is an improvement.

I've attached the wiring diagram, here as well.

The connector you need to tap is in the steering column, only two screws need to be removed to get access to the connector you need to tap.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will help out the best I can.

Link to DSD. http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/

Sponsored

Reactions: ob1

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Why?
People had +- on the shifter wanted ones behind the wheel. People who has them behind the wheel wants the +- shifter. Oh boy.
The only thing I wish it had was bigger and longer peddles.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Why?
People had +- on the shifter wanted ones behind the wheel. People who has them behind the wheel wants the +- shifter. Oh boy.
Same here, some longer paddles would be great! Cool mod and information but I don't think I would do it, paddles are enough for me.

OP
OP
Dspec_S550

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why?
you must only drag race.. it really sucks chasing those paddles around while turning the wheel..

longer paddles will do nothing.. they will still follow the wheel..

In other cars, the paddles are on the column, and are stationary, and thats what ford *should* have done.

If they had, I would not have done this mod at all, and would be out shifting gears on the track!

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
you must only drag race.. it really sucks chasing those paddles around while turning the wheel..

longer paddles will do nothing.. they will still follow the wheel..

In other cars, the paddles are on the column, and are stationary, and thats what ford *should* have done.

If they had, I would not have done this mod at all, and would be out shifting gears on the track!
Maybe you can try getting one of these Ford Focus Power shift shifters with +- toggle on the side.
Most of the time when I am on a track, I don't shift unless I am out of the corner.

Sponsored

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
Wow, this is not the type of responses I expected to see. A sequential shifter is bada$$, mad props to you man. My main complaint would be the location of it, but that's something that can be changed for personal preference. I 100% agree with you on the paddles, but I don't agree with your driving tactics.

Every person who tracks their car will tell you that you NEVER shift mid-corner, though I'm sure when you're playing around on an empty road it can be fun. Mid-corner shifting unsettles the suspension and can cause erratic behavior like spinouts or snap oversteer.

Fantastic job man, I love seeing people try new things and making the car truly individual!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Props to trying new things! Great to see.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have a manual (my first manual car), but that is pretty cool man. The location makes me cringe (but I am a BIG man), but that is a really creative, out of the box solution that I have to give you props for!

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
Someone just needs to figure out how to send a signal for each gear then make an H pattern shifter with a P R D option.

OP
OP
Dspec_S550

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a manual (my first manual car), but that is pretty cool man. The location makes me cringe (but I am a BIG man), but that is a really creative, out of the box solution that I have to give you props for!
It doesn't fit well there, but I need to be able to reach it.. the throw is fairly short and clunky. It feels like a mechicanical shifter.

Oh and I dont shift in corners either. Its great to tell the tranny what gear to be in, not the ecu.

thanks for the compliments.:D

Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Wow, this is not the type of responses I expected to see. A sequential shifter is bada$$, mad props to you man. My main complaint would be the location of it, but that's something that can be changed for personal preference. I 100% agree with you on the paddles, but I don't agree with your driving tactics.

Every person who tracks their car will tell you that you NEVER shift mid-corner, though I'm sure when you're playing around on an empty road it can be fun. Mid-corner shifting unsettles the suspension and can cause erratic behavior like spinouts or snap oversteer.

Fantastic job man, I love seeing people try new things and making the car truly individual!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
a sequential shifter is badass? or you mean a sequential GEARBOX is bad ass....?

this is just a video game joystick, not everyone is going to, ahem, jump for joy.

rainier446

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
a sequential shifter is badass? or you mean a sequential GEARBOX is bad ass....?

this is just a video game joystick, not everyone is going to, ahem, jump for joy.
Yes a gearbox is awesome, but most folks don't have that kind of money lol. The shifter is cool and inventive, it replaces the function of the awkward paddles in a way that's more intuitive albeit improperly located. You guys should offer a bit more constructive criticism instead of blatant disregard because you don't like or agree with it.

I'm sure you don't need a lesson in the actual workings of it but just in case anyone is wondering, a sequential gearbox is like the one's used in four-wheelers, ATV's, and the like. When you push or pull on the lever it releases the clutches allowing the transmission to move up or down a gear. In a lot of track cars with this type of transmission they also have a clutch pedal, but it's not made this way in all applications. This is awesome for a track car but not necessary on a DD, you would have to shift all the way down to 1st in order to go into reverse and you can't just pop the car into whichever gear you feel like. Not to mention how harsh the ride would be...

rainier446

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
Oh and I dont shift in corners either. Its great to tell the tranny what gear to be in, not the ecu.
Sorry, you said shifting while turning and to me that sounds like shifting mid-corner. Apologies.

OP
OP
Dspec_S550

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, you said shifting while turning and to me that sounds like shifting mid-corner. Apologies.
No need for apologie. Didnt hurt my feelings at all. :cheers:

OP
OP
Dspec_S550

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This thread was for information and help, not for you guys to hate on it...

While this may be a "toy" it is made really well, and is for fun, and better function..

It may not be necessary on a DD, it is fun. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited: