Sponsored

2016 Shelby GT350/GT350R Media Drives & Reviews (CHECK FIRST POST)

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I wish there were parts of the vid where both would just stfu so I can hear it climing through the gears. Sounds excellent though. Here is to making the jump from my EB to one of these some day! haha. Just beautiful
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I showed this video to my puppy, [bad word redacted:shrug::D] turned into a Wolf.
funniest thing I read all day.

Even just what has been shown so far, looks like the "weapons grade superpower" quote wasn't an exaggeration. Just looks like raw power making men poo themselves.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
So much hate over a video. Tired of people on this forum posting ------- as if they drive the speed limit all the time.
I think most of the people on the forum speed (of course I would never, ever do such a thing...) but they do it at appropriate times when danger to others can be mitigated. These clowns did the opposite. I wish the police could arrest them for that junk they pulled, and I'm usually pretty lax when it comes to speeding on public roads. I've driven exactly where they drove and what they did is not safe.

First of all, it is a 2 lane highway with oncoming traffic coming at you. Second, they are not experienced drivers, including with that specific car. Third, there is an edge you fall off a decent portion of the drive. At high speeds all it might take is a slight flick of the wrist that leads another driver to believe you might go into his lane, causing them to swerve off the edge. So this is stupid. Go to an empty highway or backroad. A 2 lane HW with oncoming traffic AND an edge you can fall off both few feet away is the worst time to drive at high speeds with a very powerful car you are not used to.

Would like to see a driver with experience drive the 350, but I'm sure we'll see tons. This driver was a chump, because as others have said, not only did he do stupid stuff on a public road, but he didn't train or prepare for his review at all. I would have in his shoes for sure done some training before the event. It would be make the review and video better, instead of totally sucking. For their website, they would get more hits and make more money. So it's a total fail all around.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I want to point out a couple things about these videos, but first I'd like to say that most of you are being way too harsh on these guys.

First video - he passes someone. He starts the pass at the end of a passing zone, but it is still completely legal. Knowing the area and how CA marks out passing zones, this was completely safe. He could easily see far enough ahead to make the pass. There was someone parked on the side, but no one was coming at him. I mean, there's always SOMEONE coming at you on a two lane road, it's just a matter of how far away they are. You can see that seconds go by after the pass before another car shows up. This was perfectly safe (speeding yes, passing dangerously - no).

Second video (lead follow @ Laguna) - Did you guys notice that it was Randy Pobst who was leading and giving the track details? I wonder if he was involved with the development at all, or if he was chosen due to his significant experience with LS through Motortrend's testing.

Third video (track driving) - Yes, the guy wasn't going very quickly, and he did botch the shift @ T5, jerking the car around a bit. But for the most part he actually did very well for someone without a ton of experience. He was following the correct line (not always accurately, but he had the right idea), he was smooth on the throttle (most of the time), and he was solid under braking. He also let the engine do the talking, and didn't speak too much. You may have also noticed that he actually caught up to the car in front, and slowed down a bit to create some space. So while you all rag on his driving, keep in mind that he was much faster than someone else out there.

Overall, he did fine and many of you guys need to look more closely at the first video before you freak out about his driving. All the reviewers drive like that (saw the same thing at the C7 Vette press event at the nearby Marina Airport).

Finally, I would like to emphasize how MF-ing good looking the GT350 is. Every time one would go by in the video I'd like it the best, and then the next one would go by, and I'd change my mind again. Then I'd see the color I chose, and would think "aww yea, that's the one". But then a different color would go by, and I'd be all :shrug:

No wonder SOME of us have worn out our phones calling the dealers to change our colors over and over.

Ford really did well on this car.

-T

Last edited:

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
http://www.hotrod.com/cars/new-car-...out-the-2015-shelby-mustang-gt350-and-gt350r/

18 Things You Don’t Know About The 2015 Shelby Mustang GT350 and GT350R

Written by David Kennedy on August 26, 2015 Contributors: Courtesy of Ford

Ford Performance’s Chief Engineer reveals the secrets of its new Z/28 Camaro killer at Laguna Seca

The first thing you have to know about the 2015 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 and GT350R is that they’re not just Mustangs run through the performance parts bin. Like Ford’s successful 2010-2014 F-150 Raptor program (an off-road truck based on the F-150, but with desert-racing-bread shocks, tires, seats, and unique bodywork) the 2015 Mustang GT350 and GT350R are practically all-new cars simply based on the 2015 Mustang GT architecture.

According to the Chief Engineer of Ford Performance, Jamal Hameedi, the GT350 and GT350R are a collection of “bespoke parts specifically combined to make a balanced vehicle.” Hameedi would know, he was—by no coincidence— the driving force behind Ford’s F-150 Raptor program.

Some readers may be disappointed to learn it’ll be nearly impossible to build a 2015 Ford Mustang GT into a GT350 (or the more extreme GT350R) due to the level of unique parts. It certainly won’t be cost effective to do so. The good news, however, is that once you add up all of the unique features of the 2015 GT350 you realize what a performance value these cars are. Even with a starting price of $49,995. Need more convincing before you trade in your 2015 Mustang GT for a GT350? Here are 18 more things we learned from Hameedi and his team about the GT350 and GT350R before Ford let anybody drive one.

1. The GT350 and GT350R use a wider front clip than the Mustang GT, and it’s completely unique from the A-pillar forward.

The front 305mm wide tires are attached to unique GT350/GT350R aluminum uprights (steering knuckles). The base Mustang and GT cars use cast-iron steering knuckles.

Ford fit stiffer front wheel bearings and unique radial-mounted brake calipers that allows for a stiffer mounting than traditional cross bolts to these unique steering knuckles. The stiffer front wheel bearings are said to reduce caliper knockback, a condition where deflection in the wheel bearings allow the brake rotors to push the brake pads into the caliper pistons, and back into their bores creating a “knockback” sensation. This knockback creates an unpredictable and unstable brake pedal feel.

Because of the unique frontend and wider front track width, the tire scrub radius of the GT350 and GT350R have been optimized to be just outside of the front tire’s static centerline. This was done to target the functional centerline of the tire—not the static centerline of the tire—when the car experiences extreme cornering loads.

Jamal Hameedi, Chief Engineer of Ford Performance said, "the [GT350] is all about balanced handling and performance,” and that “more engineers have worked on this car than any Mustang in history." Hameedi went on to say, "we've gone further than many engineers thought we would, or could."

The Mustang GT350 and GT350R’s flat-plane crank 5.2L V8 engine is lighter than the Ferrari 458's flat-plane-crank 4.5L V8 engine.

The GT350 front end is what makes it unique. Hameedi said, "if you get the front end right, the rear follows."

The GT350 seats, which are based on an existing Recaro design, were modified specifically for the GT305/GT350R.

Ford Performance developed the GT350 over a three-year period.

When asked if of the Ford F-150 Raptor’s success paved the way for Ford Performance to create the GT350, Hameedi said, "because the Raptor was a success, Ford let the leash out on this car—to get parts like the flat-plane crank, the wheels, and the brakes. Those parts are from off the reservation. All of the gold [in this car] comes from off the reservation.”

Hameedi reports that Ford couldn't have reached its specific power output goals for the GT350 without the flat-plane crank: a naturally aspirated 100 hp per liter.

One of the benefits of the flat-plane crank is that it improves windage and oil control in the engine’s crankcase. The way Ford does it, the 5.2L flat-plane engine “breathes” bay-to-bay (side-to-side) instead of from the front of the engine to the rear—the way a traditional cross-plane crank V8 engine does.

By spraying the bottoms of the GT350/GT350R’s 5.2L’s pistons with oil jets from the main oil galley, Ford engineers were able create better knock control. This allows 2-degrees more spark advance from the 12:1 compression 5.2L without detonation.

The 5.2L engine was designed for 93-octane fuel, but will run on 87 octane with only a 15hp decrease in peak power.

The GT350 has been to more track days than any Mustang in history. “We've probably got triple the number of track days in it then we had with the GT500,” said Hameedi.

The benchmark for the GT350 was originally the Porsche 911 Carrera S, then Ford Performance upped the ante by targeting the Porsche GT3. When asked if that was an extreme goal? Hameedi said, “We always punch above our class.”

When asked about the GT350’s ability to race at track days during the summer heat in Texas or Arizona, Hameedi responded, “There’s very little fall off this with this car. The brakes and engine are both capable of 20-minute laps [in those conditions].”

When asked whether drag racing or road racing development led to a better daily driving car, Hameedi conceded that “if you have tunnel vision for either one you won't have a great daily driver,” but if he had to choose he said a road race car could still be good on the street.

Ford Shelby GT350/GT350R Mustang Specs

Final assembly location: Flat Rock, Michigan
DRIVETRAIN
Layout: Rear-wheel drive with Torsen limited-slip differential and 3.73:1 gears
TRANSMISSION
Tremec TR-3160 six-speed manual
Gear ratios
1st: 3.253:1
2nd: 2.233:1
3rd: 1.611:1
4th: 1.243:1
5th: 1.00:1
6th: 0.629:1
BODY
Construction: Unitized welded steel body, aluminum hood, front fenders and front bumper beam, carbon fiber grille opening reinforcement
ENGINE
5.2L flat-plane crank V8
Configuration: Aluminum block and heads, 90-degree V8
Intake manifold: Composite shell with scroll design and motion control valves
Exhaust manifold: Tubular stainless steel
Valvetrain: DOHC, four valves per cylinder, twin independent variable camshaft timing
Valve diameter/lift: Intake, 38.3mm/14 mm; exhaust, 32.5mm/14 mm
Pistons: Forged aluminum
Connecting rods: Forged micro-alloyed steel
Ignition: Coil-on-plug
Bore x stroke: 94.0 x 93.0mm
Displacement: 5,163 cc
Compression ratio:12.0:1
Horsepower: 526 @ 7,500 rpm
Torque: 429 lb-ft. @ 4,750 rpm
Fuel capacity: 16 gallons
Fuel delivery: Port fuel injection with twin high-flow pumps
Oil capacity:10 quarts 5W-50 with filter
EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings: 14 mpg city, 21 mpg highway
BRAKES
Type: Four-wheel power discs with four-sensor, four-channel antilock braking system and AdvanceTrac electronic stability control
Front: 394mm x 36mm aluminum hat, floating-type vented and cross-drilled discs
Caliper: Brembo six-piston fixed aluminum calipers
Rear: 320mm x 26mm vented and cross-drilled discs, drum-in hat parking brake
Calipers: Four-piston fixed aluminum
WHEELS AND TIRES
GT350: 19x10.5-in. aluminum alloy, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 295/35ZR19, front; 19x11.0-in. aluminum alloy, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 305/35ZR19,rear
GT350 Tack Pack: 19x10.5-in. aluminum alloy, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 295/35ZR19, front; 19x11.0-in. aluminum alloy, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 305/35ZR19,rear
GT350R: 19x11.0-in. carbon fiber, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 305/30ZR19, front; 19x11.5-in. carbon fiber, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 315/30ZR19, rear;

Sponsored

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Some of us GT350 buyers would like to see the GT350 non "R" videos

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
R weight w/ Electronics Pkg...3,703

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I want to point out a couple things about these videos, but first I'd like to say that most of you are being way too harsh on these guys.

First video - he passes someone. He starts the pass at the end of a passing zone, but it is still completely legal. Knowing the area and how CA marks out passing zones, this was completely safe. He could easily see far enough ahead to make the pass. There was someone parked on the side, but no one was coming at him. I mean, there's always SOMEONE coming at you on a two lane road, it's just a matter of how far away they are. You can see that seconds go by after the pass before another car shows up. This was perfectly safe (speeding yes, passing dangerously - no).

Second video (lead follow @ Laguna) - Did you guys notice that it was Randy Pobst who was leading and giving the track details? I wonder if he was involved with the development at all, or if he was chosen due to his significant experience with LS through Motortrend's testing.

Third video (track driving) - Yes, the guy wasn't going very quickly, and he did botch the shift @ T5, jerking the car around a bit. But for the most part he actually did very well for someone without a ton of experience. He was following the correct line (not always accurately, but he had the right idea), he was smooth on the throttle (most of the time), and he was solid under braking. He also let the engine do the talking, and didn't speak too much. You may have also noticed that he actually caught up to the car in front, and slowed down a bit to create some space. So while you all rag on his driving, keep in mind that he was much faster than someone else out there.

Overall, he did fine and many of you guys need to look more closely at the first video before you freak out about his driving. All the reviewers drive like that (saw the same thing at the C7 Vette press event at the nearby Marina Airport).

Finally, I would like to emphasize how MF-ing good looking the GT350 is. Every time one would go by in the video I'd like it the best, and then the next one would go by, and I'd change my mind again. Then I'd see the color I chose, and would think "aww yea, that's the one". But then a different color would go by, and I'd be all :shrug:

No wonder SOME of us have worn out our phones calling the dealers to change our colors over and over.

Ford really did well on this car.

-T
Ok yeah, I'll give the guy that: he drove within his limits and did a decent job following the line. I'm less criticizing him for his skills (that's not fair), and more the fact that they (Ford) let/put a clearly very inexperienced driver on the track in that car. It's a good testament to how good the car is, though.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Check out number 14 on Hot Rod's list: designed to run on 93 octane but will run on 87 octane with only a 15 HP decrease in power! Holy crap! :ford: :thumbsup:

Really well written post and I agree.
Yeah I read that too and that's just amazing! :thumbsup:

And amen to that. That media editor did okay... not perfect but followed track instructions and stayed within his comfort zone unlike the Jalopnik dude (who btw was on a lead follow) yet still managed to crash the 6th gen Camaro mule.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed overall. The GT manual is only 2lbs heavier than the R with electronics. All the lightweighting they did seems to have been completely offset by the coolers and supporting gear. I realize it would have weighed a lot more without those efforts...so OK, I guess :)

Mustang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Anyone notice that Fords website lists the front track at 54.9", makes me wonder what other specs might be incorrect
Sponsored