Sponsored

Key fobs and car thieves

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
Articles I have read of late regarding thieves being able to use some sort of mechanism/fob that "jams" our fob's codes and thus allows them to steal our cars have me confused. How does it really work, and how can we protect our Stangs? :shrug: I read that manually locking and unlocking (pinching/touching the handle) is "safer" than using the fob. True?
Sponsored

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
I suppose using the door handle to lock/unlock your car would result in no broadcasting of your fob's signal, so it couldn't be intercepted. That said, the fob must be actively broadcasting something for your car to know it's in close proximity.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have no clue.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Articles I have read of late regarding thieves being able to use some sort of mechanism/fob that "jams" our fob's codes and thus allows them to steal our cars have me confused. How does it really work, and how can we protect our Stangs? :shrug: I read that manually locking and unlocking (pinching/touching the handle) is "safer" than using the fob. True?
If a criminal is in your immediate area, you think manually locking and unlocking will stop him/her? If they have that tool, they have MANY others...

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
I suppose using the door handle to lock/unlock your car would result in no broadcasting of your fob's signal, so it couldn't be intercepted. That said, the fob must be actively broadcasting something for your car to know it's in close proximity.

LOL:lol:

Sponsored

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic

Just a guess because I'm not the FOB design engineer, but your fob probably only sends a signal when a button is pushed or when it receives a query from the car. I say this because if it were transmitting all the time you'd probably have to change the battery quite often. The car on the other hand has much more battery power available to be transmitting on a regular basis. The range is not very far either so your would be thief would have to be very close to intercept your fob signal.

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red
Just a guess because I'm not the FOB design engineer, but your fob probably only sends a signal when a button is pushed or when it receives a query from the car. I say this because if it were transmitting all the time you'd probably have to change the battery quite often. The car on the other hand has much more battery power available to be transmitting on a regular basis. The range is not very far either so your would be thief would have to be very close to intercept your fob signal.
I always assumed there was an active transmitter when you pushed the button, and an RFID chip inside that the car constantly scans for, reads when you're close, and then unlocks.

Push button = active signal. Get near, car scans RFID = passive signal.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Another reason to get my remote kill switch installed. Car will not start with that switch thrown, period.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Another reason to get my remote kill switch installed. Car will not start with that switch thrown, period.
I'm interested in this. If and when you get one installed please post what it costs and how long it took to install. Thanks

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I'm interested in this. If and when you get one installed please post what it costs and how long it took to install. Thanks
You got it. It's an inexpensive DIY. A hidden toggle switch tapped into the "push to start" switch(either the clutch on a manual or the brake pedal on the auto)

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Real thieves use a wrecker truck. If they want it, they'll drag it off alarm sounding and all. No one will pay a single ounce of attention.

I do have a hidden dead mans switch in my Shelby replica on the ignition line. But for some reason, I can leave a pair of Oaklys on the console and people won't touch it. Like they are afraid he snake will strike then for even trying.

OP
OP
klumpikat

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
You got it. It's an inexpensive DIY. A hidden toggle switch tapped into the "push to start" switch(either the clutch on a manual or the brake pedal on the auto)
This sounds like a great idea. Except...seems like one would want to install the toggle switch in a less obvious place? Maybe in an overhead light switch? :shrug:

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
The switches are under respective pedals. You can tie into them anywhere you can get to the correct wire coming off that switch. Then splice in a micro toggle switch that you can put just about anywhere you want. The hardest part is finding the correct wire to tie into because those switches are fairly complex and control several things.

OP
OP
klumpikat

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
The switches are under respective pedals. You can tie into them anywhere you can get to the correct wire coming off that switch. Then splice in a micro toggle switch that you can put just about anywhere you want. The hardest part is finding the correct wire to tie into because those switches are fairly complex and control several things.
Ah, now I understand. :D
So you don't even need a remote control/fob for this to work, yes? You basically just throw the switch as you exit the car?