Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
On my way home from work today, enjoying our nice weather with my windows down (77F~ ambient temp), the "Low Oil Pressure" warning came on while I was accelerating. I believe I was up high in the rev range in 2nd, around 7,000 rpms. The car was making the "bong, bong, bong" sound like when you open the door with the car still running or leave the lights on. I remember seeing the oil pressure drop on the gauge, I believe it dropped quickly to 0 PSI. I was in normal mode, comfort steering, sport mode with exhaust (my typical commuting setup). I did refuel the car from 1/4 tank to full, a few hours before, during the last trip I took the car on before this trip when the event occurred.

If I wasn't accelerating at WOT I was pretty close to it. I was 15+ minutes into my commute; I considered the car warmed up with the engine oil temp around 192~ F. This is about as hot as it gets under normal driving with our temps in the 55-79 F range this week and my city driving commute. This was the first hard acceleration I did along this trip.

When the warning came on and I saw the gauge, I immediately put the clutch in and I believe I shifted into neutral (in either case I held the clutch in). I kept trying to turn off the car via the start/stop button, but I was unable to turn it off until I came to a stop on the side of the road several seconds later. I remember the engine was idling smoothly at normal revs 600~ rpm once I put the clutch in and the revs fell, but it sounded like I had an exhaust leak (or several).

I checked under the car for oil leaks (thought maybe the oil filter had spun off). There were no leaks, I checked the oil a few times and the oil level was right in the middle on the dip stick, where it has been the past few hundred miles that I've checked. I couldn't find any fluid leaks under the car.

Car Info
  • 3229.5 miles
  • Build date: 03-May-2016
  • Release date: 06-May-2016
  • Purchased early June 2016
  • Warranty replaced driver's side axle due to CV boot failure within first 200 miles
  • Tech pack
  • Never tracked
  • Never launched
  • No burn outs
  • Performed first oil change myself at 1054 miles. Used recommended Motorcraft oil and filter. Torqued to spec, re-checked torque multiple times since, filter has not loosened.
  • Car indicated oil life at 57% at the time of this incident

I took the following 2 pictures after the car was sitting for 10 minutes after the incident:

IMG_1328_zpsbnxwqjlz.jpg

NOTE the car was off at the time this photo was taken
IMG_1330_zpscxxtmjun.jpg

I suspected that maybe the oil filter spun off. I did my first oil change, and have checked the torque of the filter a couple of times since. Haven't had any leaks or noticed the filter loosen. No leaks under the car after sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck.

IMG_1339_zpsvw8skpm4.jpg

IMG_1342_zpswzg2caf2.jpg

Waiting for tow truck

IMG_1350_zpsokkpj3i9.jpg

I used the 24 hour roadside assistance number to get a warranty tow truck (requested a flat bed) to be towed to a dealer. They even let me chose a dealer a littler further away that I like better than the closest one they wanted to take the car too. I'm happy with the service. Tow truck arrived in 50~ minutes of me calling.

IMG_1357_zpspfrcz01b.jpg

My numbers the car was reporting after unloading it from the tow truck at the dealer. They won't even start looking at it until next week sometime.

IMG_1362_zpswc25b9ek.jpg

Went back to the dealer the next morning (car hasn't been worked on or checked yet) to get pictures of dip stick and car's reported oil life percentage.

IMG_1365_zpsixu1vxzf.jpg

IMG_1366_zpswt6n4lg3.jpg

IMG_1368_zpsldcz6rxh.jpg

I will report back what I can, when I can, at my discretion. I would appreciate any input from you all on things I should discuss with the dealer, if anything.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If oil quantity was ok, then an intermittent oil pressure sensor or some kind of oil pump issue.

I know that's the obvious, but needless to say, good job in killing it asap and getting it towed in.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If oil quantity was ok, then an intermittent oil pressure sensor or some kind of oil pump issue.

I know that's the obvious, but needless to say, good job in killing it asap and getting it towed in.
I believe the computer said my oil life was around 46% the last time I checked, within 300~ miles of use. I changed the oil with Motorcraft at 1054 miles a little less than 3 months ago. I'm using the Motorcraft filter as well.

Thanks for bringing it up, I forgot to include this info.

EDIT: upon re-reading your post, I realized that I had thought you said oil quality. oops!

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like what happened to me

Sponsored

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Dammit. That really blows Kyle. Gonna miss you tomorrow at Cars and Coffee for sure. Hopefully you'll have some good news by Monday. Service is open tomorrow. Maybe they can look at it sooner.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I wonder if maybe you got a bad oil filter? Don't they bypass at high RPM? Could be defective. I mean... it could happen. I truly hope it's not the oil pump - that'd suck. Rather, I hope they find the issue AND that you don't need a new engine... that'd really suck.

And I want your oil temp gauge. I could care flippin' less about vacuum. Ug...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Great job explaining and documenting what happened. You did everything correctly.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Thats interesting let us know what happened. Hopefully its just the pressure sensor.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
This happened to me last month with my Whipple GT, and it wasn't good for me, and I fear it's not for you either. OPG failure is the likely culprit and motor bearing are hurt like mine. The sound you heard when coming to a stop was what I heard (Oil pump gear shattered) and clanking around. Here is my thread thread on my failure. I'm sorry it's sounds like bad news for you my friend, and I'm surprised this happend to a non modified engine.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63037

f0d484c0a6cb000e5f78e60f655fe287_zpszejarsul.jpg

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Wow that is a telling picture on OPG failure. Might have to go billet.
Steve