Sponsored

Why more GT500's for sale than 350’s or Mach 1’s?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
OK so I love all Mustangs. And although I'm not looking to replace what I have, it's interesting to get on Autotrader to see what's being sold and for how much.

Pretty consistently there are a similar number of GT350's and Mach 1's for sale within 100 miles of Pittsburgh, but always about twice as many GT500's.

Why the heck are so many people selling them??? I don't get it. Any ideas from owners? Is it just a regional thing? Makes no sense to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
My 2c? Boredom they want the next best thing to buy before the price of what they bought drops to the point where they cant make a few extra dollars and they lose money and cant get the next car for nearly no money. Or they're financing was so ridiculous that they cant keep up with the payments and need to bail, but my money is on the former.

I've had my 500 new off the belt since 8/2020 and have no interest in selling it. If I want another car, I'll buy it without giving up my 500.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Let's hope it pushes the prices down. A '21-'22 GT500 is on my short list for my next sports car to eventually sit alongside my '21 ZL1 and '22 Supra.

armytc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2008 Shelby GT500
I can understand the interest in selling newer GT500's There are a few folks out there making payments of over a $1000/month. I would imagine that gets old after a while. The current economy doesn't help things. A large Corvette dealer in New Hampshire is discounting new C-8 Corvettes.
As they said....it's the economy stupid!

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’m actually shopping them right now. Starting to see a few more pop up locally and I’ve been getting some heads ups from a couple local dealers on the lookout for me. There aren’t a ton of them but yes, there seem to be more 500’s than 350’s for sale for sure.

Personally, I think the 350’s are held onto longer because they’re manual cars. It’s a certain buyer pool that wants a high revving, naturally aspirated V8 that comes in a manual and they’re probably less likely to trade out of them as often as the 500’s because they’re not easily replaced. Could probably say something similar for the Mach’s given they had a manual option. I could be way off but that’s my take.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
OK so I love all Mustangs. And although I'm not looking to replace what I have, it's interesting to get on Autotrader to see what's being sold and for how much.

Pretty consistently there are a similar number of GT350's and Mach 1's for sale within 200 miles of Pittsburgh, but always about twice as many GT500's.

Why the heck are so many people selling them??? I just don't get it. Any ideas from owners? Is it just a regional thing? Just makes no sense to me.
Autotrader has literally 230 GT500s for sale in America....is that a lot? lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
My 2c? Boredom they want the next best thing to buy before the price of what they bought drops to the point where they cant make a few extra dollars and they lose money and cant get the next car for nearly no money. Or they're financing was so ridiculous that they cant keep up with the payments and need to bail, but my money is on the former.

I've had my 500 new off the belt since 8/2020 and have no interest in selling it. If I want another car, I'll buy it without giving up my 500.
morgan-freeman-pointing.gif

100%, a lot of people over extended themselves on these cars and all the mark up money has evaporated. so many people are petrified to lose money on their cars they are rushing to get out and bail on $1000 a month payments.

I still think the 500 is a blast to drive and the DCT is a thrill to experience, ive never gotten tired of the trans and sometimes I prefer to drive it over my 350.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Given the prices on primo examples vs. original sticker I’d say in many cases the motivation is attempted profiteering. And often you can leave out the “attempted” part of that.

Who doesn’t want the baddest mammer jammer out there?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I like to use cargurus - lots of useful filter options. I was curious, and nationwide there's 172 S550 GT500 listings and 69 ZL1s (same years, 20-22 for comparison).

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You can't sell a GT350 when the engine done blowed up and a replacement is on never ending backorder, unless you wants to go full Flintstones with it.

:)

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I've noticed a lot more GT500s for sale as well but to be honest there are any number of reasons those owners are selling the car. Whether it had something to do with the car itself or not remains unknown.

Some general reasons that I can think of are:
-Some buy the new "hot car" which the GT500 was from 2020-2023 but now owners are looking for something else that is now more trendy.
-Some bought the car to flip but fell on their ass and won't be able to sell for a profit... yet they keep the car for sale at a high price hoping someone will come along and pay the extra high price.
-Some may have had higher expectations for the car that ended up not living up to what the person hoped for.
-Some could afford the car at the time but their financial situation may have changed (layoff from work) or their lifestyle changed (starting/expanding family, having kids) forcing them to rethink owning the car with life's evolving priorities.
-Some may have really wanted the fastest 6th gen Shelby but may have gotten bored of it OR ended up regretting it if they were a die hard manual transmission nut that convinced themselves that it would still be worth giving up the clutch pedal.
-Some probably enjoyed the car entirely, got their fill of the enjoyment but simply decided it is time to move on.

Probably safe to say that this list of reasons could apply to any expensive sports car really. I don't think this is GT500 specific.
Sponsored