Sponsored

Heavy GT500 wing and heavy duty trunk struts?

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Hi Guys,

I just added the new GT500 wing and noticed my old trunk struts struggling to open. Is there a heavier strut that i can go with?

Thanks Anthony
Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Steeda's "large wing trunk pop kit" will open the trunk all the way with that wing. In the winter time during cold temps it doesn't open as well but still better than the factory struts.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Steeda's "large wing trunk pop kit" will open the trunk all the way with that wing. In the winter time during cold temps it doesn't open as well but still better than the factory struts.
Awesome, dude. Thabks, appreciate the tip!! And 411. 👍😊

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp

I did notice that in cold weather, my Steeda trunk struts also are either slow or just sit there until I give them a nudge. Even in my protected garage this morning, they took a few seconds to open the trunk.

I think I will put some slicone lube on the trunk hinges to try and help the struts.

CVCashmere

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
LOL my factory struts don't do squat other than pop the lid just above the lip of the decklid. I've been thinking about this mod as I do go get groceries with my Mustang :)

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Hi All:

I just thought I would pass along an observation for those people that buy the Steeda trunk struts for cars with no or blade spoilers (such as my vert).

In the colder weather, the struts may not open right away because of the nature of the oil hydraulics.

I tested my theory in a 35 degree garage. After the trunk needed a nudge to open, I lubricated all the trunk hinges with a silicone treatment.

12 hours later, I tested it again and the trunk opened without hesitation.

Thanks

CVCashmere

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
LOL my factory struts don't do squat other than pop the lid just above the lip of the decklid. I've been thinking about this mod as I do go get groceries with my Mustang :)
I have this set and I can give it to you for the Steeda listed price + US tax: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-0697-s550-trunk-pop-kit
Can help install it as well. It spent 3 minutes on my car and got removed as it was a bit too much for my taste and no-big-spoiler trunk lid that I have. I like it closing with no effort. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I have this set and I can give it to you for the Steeda listed price + US tax: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-0697-s550-trunk-pop-kit
Can help install it as well. It spent 3 minutes on my car and got removed as it was a bit too much for my taste and no-big-spoiler trunk lid that I have. I like it closing with no effort. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Thanks @tosha - I think I'm good. I've already got about 4k (grill inserts + beadlock rims + new NT555 RII rear tires with a 45 sidewall) worth of upgrades for this summer in the pipeline so the "quality of life" upgrades can come at a later time.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Thanks @tosha - I think I'm good. I've already got about 4k (grill inserts + beadlock rims + new NT555 RII rear tires with a 45 sidewall) worth of upgrades for this summer in the pipeline so the "quality of life" upgrades can come at a later time.
I can certainly relate to that 🤣 . I'll get a spoiler or a wing eventually, will keep them for that.

If you want to try them on in the future before ordering, I can help with that too.

Reactions: MCS

MrDude_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP convertible
Those gas struts are commodity items that I can actually look up myself.
Does anyone know the weight rating for them?
I can measure the compressed length and stroke myself off my OEM ones

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Got these on my 19’ GT/CS when they first came out. These are the heavy ones.
Sponsored