Hood corrosion

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Everyone under 36k should still be under bumper to bumper pretty much. My 3 years will be soon since it was the first 15 delivered from my dealer.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Don's Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR Mustang GT Premium PP
Dealership is covering the paint defect with a new hood freshly painted. They did mention that even if you have the premium warranty that it will not cover this if you are over the base 3 year 36k. I'm at 3 years on 1/8/2018 and I'm currently at 32k miles. So if you guys look under your hood and find this cancer i suggest getting it taken care of under the TSB before your warranty runs out even if it hasn't spread to top of hood yet.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
yep, as expected, this shouldnt be covered beyond the 3/36 bumper to bumper

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
Just had my hood replaced on my 16 for the corrosion in the same place as the pics on here.

Sponsored

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
My 2015 has the same problem. It is in the shop now for a new hood. Yes under warranty, but it was my 50th year car, and it was perfect. When I went to the shop today they said they couldn't find my stripe. they were having difficulty getting it. I told them I made it and I can make them a new set, but why do they need that? Turns out the Competition orange (so they say) is impossible to match and they painted the ENTIRE NOSE OF THE CAR to blend the paint. I about lost my friggin mind. The car will be done in a few hours and in my mind, the car is ruined. No longer original, pristine. I imagine runs, drips, bad orange peel. This 2015 is almost three years old, has 7250 miles on it and is garage kept. until later when I get to try to get her, I am sick about them painting the entire front clip.

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Impossible to color match Comp Orange?
That’s what they said, believe it or not. Course supposed to be done today

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
They probably had to blend into the fender so you wouldn't notice the slight color variance, very common practice by body shops. Some colors have up to 20 variances that may be used to get a match. There is also a $10k machine they used to get a computer match. Metallics are even harder to match. Hope it looks good to your eye.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
They probably had to blend into the fender so you wouldn't notice the slight color variance, very common practice by body shops. Some colors have up to 20 variances that may be used to get a match. There is also a $10k machine they used to get a computer match. Metallics are even harder to match. Hope it looks good to your eye.
The problem is that the new paint will never be as resilient as the factory one. It chips, scratches, and scuffs easier. When they repaint more panels than they need to, it's annoying. I dealt with the dealership after they repainted my trunk. They assured me that they were only painting the trunk. Turns out, they painted both rear quarter panels, rear bumper, and trunk. Crap quality work 4 times. The next day I traded the car in.

Sponsored

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Well..... Its been over two weeks and it was returned to me last night. The finish is horrific and there are stains in the paint. When I pointed them out they said oh. Thats all. Then they noticed what they called "Solvent pop" a large portion of the passenger side of the hood was pock marked. So its still there and they feel they need to repaint it.... Again. A call to Ford only served to have them lodge a complaint. So my pretty 50th year mustang is now a science project for a crappy body shop selected by (and owned by) my dealer. The story will be updated.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Well..... Its been over two weeks and it was returned to me last night. The finish is horrific and there are stains in the paint. When I pointed them out they said oh. Thats all. Then they noticed what they called "Solvent pop" a large portion of the passenger side of the hood was pock marked. So its still there and they feel they need to repaint it.... Again. A call to Ford only served to have them lodge a complaint. So my pretty 50th year mustang is now a science project for a crappy body shop selected by (and owned by) my dealer. The story will be updated.
Hey, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'd escalate this ASAP before you end up with more panels painted.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Hey, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'd escalate this ASAP before you end up with more panels painted.
From my understanding (but I could be wrong), you can choose the body shop and then Ford will reimburse you. If true, go to a shop that does high end cars. Usually insurance keeps their hourly rate low, but I don't know that this is officially an insurance claim.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
From my understanding (but I could be wrong), you can choose the body shop and then Ford will reimburse you. If true, go to a shop that does high end cars. Usually insurance keeps their hourly rate low, but I don't know that this is officially an insurance claim.
I didn't know that because when I brought mine in, they took it for the day and then called me to tell me that Ford approved the repaint and they were going to take it to their shop to have it repainted. I thought it was their own shop owned by the dealer. Nope... Caliber Collision in Chantilly, VA. Avoid at all cost.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I now wonder if Ford will pay me for their wholesale cost of the hood, plus paint, stripes, and clear film.
If so, I am considering looking into non-metal hoods. Even though I would be out the delta between the factory and aftermarket hoods, at least I know the new one will never corrode.

My bubbling is pretty small still (2 years), and so I plan to just monitor it, because I have 5 years, and who knows if I will trade/sell the car by then, (ie. if the corrosion gets worse very slowly).
Sponsored