Sponsored

'16 EB MT to the Dyno! (Thanks go to Unleashed!)

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Two fourth gear pulls:
k2d36g.jpg

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I feel pretty good about it.
Sponsored

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
Dynapack numbers are very inflated compared to a dynojet not nearly as much power train loss.

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
pfffffft. (That was the sound of a bubble bursting)

Ya hadda say that, huh? :kickrock:

It's alright - I wasn't bragging by any means. I just wanted a progress chart before I installed the next mod(s).

The last time I visited a dyno it was the huge-steel-roller-embedded-in-the-floor variety. And I got almost the same WHP numbers and significantly less TQ. But it took them an eternity to strap down the car, and I didn't feel too confident in the expertise of the operator. So I thought I might try this type. According to my [limited] research...this method of measuring tends to be more accurate/consistent which is what I was looking for.

And boy is it faster!! The 1st pull began about 9 minutes after I pulled into the shop!

But I was a bit surprised at one aspect; the op made no shifts. He started and finished in fourth gear. Is that typical?

Last edited:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I upgraded the coil packs to ACCEL's.
I upgraded the CBE to a Gibson muffler-less system.
AirRaid CAI.
TS 10# WGA.
TS BoV.
NGK narrow-gapped one step colder.
Running 94OC fuel.

And the last - but most definitely the best bang-for-the-buck mod - a 93 octane PERF tune from my new best friend - Mr. Torrie McPhail @ Unleashed Tuning. :headbang:

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Are you running on a stock intercooler? You're missing out on 30-40 peak HP without a better one. The tune looks pretty strong otherwise - that is one impressive peak that holds up to about 5800-5900 RPM. It shows the characteristics of what a stronger waste gate can do.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Is it just me or is the torque curve weird? Starts starts dropping like a rock after 3500rpm.
It's just how the dyno calculates the power. There is math formula involved and some science. There is just a shit load of twisting force going through the wheels before the engine speed catches up.

[ame]

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Are you running on a stock intercooler?
Yep!
The tune looks pretty strong otherwise - that is one impressive peak that holds up to about 5800-5900 RPM. It shows the characteristics of what a stronger waste gate can do.
Indeed! I too was grateful for the holding power of the WGA. But I give props to Torrie for this lay-down. He's been with me for awhile now, and providing almost instant turnarounds on tune files and tweaks. UT FTW!!

I'll be doing the DP shortly, and I may run it again after I get that dialed in. After that, the IC will likely be the next (and last) mod.

Thanks for taking the time to share some views, gentlemen!

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
It's just how the dyno calculates the power. There is math formula involved and some science. There is just a shit load of twisting force going through the wheels before the engine speed catches up.
Careful, that guy calls Mustangs a deathtrap!

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Is it just me or is the torque curve weird? Starts starts dropping like a rock after 3500rpm.
I was gonna say the same thing. Although I'm wondering if a nice IC upgrade wouldn't help level it out a little bit. If he's on stock hes probably not getting as much out of it as he could. Maybe not the case as we can't see any temps but kinda curious...that thing tanks like a brick after 3500.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Its the graph, its because its not a good width, if you follow the RPMS. He is loosing torque however between 3600 and 4500 RPM and a significant amount like 15 to 20 lb-ft under the curve there, which makes the gains up to about 3250 moot, if it drops right after, there is almost a 40lb-ft drop from its peaks around 3250 (roughly 385lb-ft) to 3700 (350is lb-ft) that is a noticeable drop you can feel, like hitting a head wind on the highway. There is a dip in power around 3500 although not as pronounced. Loosing 80lb-ft between 3500 to 5000 drop like a stone is odd, you want that power to flow, seems spikey. Peak numbers are nice but he is not holding them long on the torque values, but the power is not bad other than that odd dip at 4600 for a brief moment. I would look into why your torque is dropping so quickly, it looks similar to a stock drop off.

My sample log is from a recent datalog on a 93 degree day, basic bolt ons, stock downpipe running meth (not alot small spray 250cc) and tune. I marked roughly close to 3200 as I could from the log. He is probably making similar power to my setup give or take 10 or 20 points (different dyno methods of calc) (just for comparing the curve from a log file)

It is odd his drops where it does, should not see that till after 5k if at all. I would love to see the log file of that run, see if there is timing being pulled around 3500/3600

Last edited:

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Its the graph, its because its not a good width, if you follow the RPMS. He is loosing torque however between 3600 and 4500 RPM and a significant amount like 15 to 20 lb-ft under the curve there, which makes the gains up to about 3250 moot, if it drops right after, there is almost a 40lb-ft drop from its peaks around 3250 (roughly 385lb-ft) to 3700 (350is lb-ft) that is a noticeable drop you can feel, like hitting a head wind on the highway. There is a dip in power around 3500 although not as pronounced.

My sample log is from a recent datalog on a 93 degree day, basic bolt ons, stock downpipe running meth (not alot small spray 250cc) and tune. I marked roughly close to 3200 as I could from the log. He is probably making similar power to my setup give or take 10 or 20 points (different dyno methods of calc) (just for comparing the curve from a log file)

It is odd his drops where it does, should not see that till after 5k if at all.
k2d36g.jpg

Here's a stretched version of his and it definitely looks a bit easier to read that way. But that drop from 3500-3750 is still extreme. You're talking a drop of 10-12%, that's definitely noticeable! That trend continues very heavily just like the stock tune. Which means you're out of your powerband SUPER quick, and then gonna drop power like crazy. I would definitely like to see this stretched out like you said till about 5k. Hell you aren't even gonna see that increase in first and second you'll be out of it so quickly! lol. If you drop the clutch at 2800-3000 it's all downhill pretty much from there lol!

Not trying to knock OP or Torrie(My old tuner), just wondering what is causing this dramatic slope, and as you said, see if timing is being pulled somewhere whether in the tune, or from temps etc. On mine when I had stock IC, by about half way through 3rd gear is FAR into the 100+ degrees. *IIRC I seen about 145* peak on stock IC.* That'll definitely see some timing pulled

Last edited:

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Its bad graph, look at the min value (174), so its only part. At 5500rpm its still around 280ft/lb
The HP graph doesn't look bad so its just the width and how they scaled it IMO.
Intercooler would of course improve on things, but I think what we see wrong there is mainly bad graph.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
k2d36g.jpg

Here's a stretched version of his and it definitely looks a bit easier to read that way. But that drop from 3500-3750 is still extreme. You're talking a drop of 10-12%, that's definitely noticeable! That trend continues very heavily just like the stock tune. Which means you're out of your powerband SUPER quick, and then gonna drop power like crazy. I would definitely like to see this stretched out like you said till about 5k. Hell you aren't even gonna see that increase in first and second you'll be out of it so quickly! lol. If you drop the clutch at 2800-3000 it's all downhill pretty much from there lol!

Not trying to knock OP or Torrie(My old tuner), just wondering what is causing this dramatic slope, and as you said, see if timing is being pulled somewhere whether in the tune, or from temps etc. On mine when I had stock IC, by about half way through 3rd gear is FAR into the 100+ degrees. *IIRC I seen about 145* peak on stock IC.* That'll definitely see some timing pulled
Nope I am knocking anyone or the numbers etc, just curious why the stock like drop in torque is coming from, it should not be that drastic between both runs. All I know is if there is enough heat and knock starts to occur I can see timing being pulled and torque drop, but his power kept rising with the exception of that dip, that is why I think its timing being pulled, or how the tuner has the torque management tuned. It could be a conservative thing. Not knowing the true numbers could be an issue too, 400 wheel torque is near the limit, and I am not sure the stock snail can safely make that, which leads me to believe the numbers may be skewed based on that dyno.

Either way something is off has a torque band of about 100RPMs then it just consistently drops. Off the line it will launch hard then by the time he hits 3rd gear its about 75-80 lb-ft drop. My car pulls till about 5700 but even then its a very mild drop to redline, unlike stock where it drops like his graph does at around 5K, he is dropping 1k before that although making more power at that rpm will still feel better than stock, but you want a trailing smooth transition of power if you can. It would be nice to see his power band increased between 3700 and 4750 or so around say holding 345 to 355 lb-ft of torque.

And not sure if this was answered for you ronemca, but yeah usually the runs are in one gear, either depending on your setup 4th or 5th gear.
Sponsored