Sponsored

Shifting Issues

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Needless to say I love my GT, but I have come to the point where I am so fed up with the way this car shifts.

I daily drive my car and obviously with the performance packs short gearing I spend a lot of time shifting. I have an original, non trans mounted Barton shifter and BG Synchro Shift II Trans fluid and the shifting is still awful.

I was just driving home and got on it from a red light and every time I shift into second gear it feels like the trans is fighting me, it does not want to shift into second smoothly. The rest of the gears (except 5th) are alright, not great but they shift into gear relatively smoothly.

My question is would it be worth it to switch to a different short shifter? Or is this just an MT-82 issue that I am stuck with? The shifter i would get would be a MGW trans mounted shifter but I don't know enough about cars and shifters to know if this would actually help. I put the Barton in with about 1,000 miles on it and the car now has about 22k miles. I just put the new trans oil in a couple thousand miles ago and to be honest it didn't make a big difference.

I really want to get the most enjoyment out of my car as possible but when I'm constantly doing something with the car that feels so shitty it really takes away from that enjoyment.

Any recommendations help!
Sponsored

ClutchAce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP Race Red MagnaFlow cats KW coilovers
I have a trans-mounted Barton Hybrid 3 short throw and it's outstanding. It has the extra springs that came with it installed - it is slightly firm but dang, I NEVER miss a shift....Absolutely love it. Anyone (a chosen few) who drives my car loves the shifter also. My dads '16 gt350 shifter is so easy and light after driving mine - but really, both are quite fun and enjoyable to drive. I have heard the MGW trans mounted shifter is very good. Hope you get it figured out to where you can enjoy driving your car again :)

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have a trans-mounted Barton Hybrid 3 short throw and it's outstanding. It has the extra springs that came with it installed - it is slightly firm but dang, I NEVER miss a shift....Absolutely love it. Anyone (a chosen few) who drives my car loves the shifter also. My dads '16 gt350 shifter is so easy and light after driving mine - but really, both are quite fun and enjoyable to drive. I have heard the MGW trans mounted shifter is very good. Hope you get it figured out to where you can enjoy driving your car again :)
I wonder how similar the barton hybrid 3 and the one I have are, is there a way I can upgrade the shifter to be trans mounted? I really don't want to have to spend the money to get a whole new shifter + cost of install. Maybe thats what I need to do though....

ClutchAce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try calling American Muscle and speak to one of their "experts" as they sell Barton shifters - I'm wondering if the one you have installed now was meant for ecoboost, V6? You can try calling Hillbank Motor Sports in Irvine - I don't have experience with them but I've heard good things on these threads about them and their knowledge on Mustangs.

ClutchAce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just thinking, you can call Barton! Duh! They could let you know what you would need to upgrade for a trans-mount

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Did you reuse the original shifter bushing for your Barton shifter? If not you can just replaced the shifter bushing with a firmer one and try isolating the movement of the transmission with a transmission insert. Also how long ago did you change the transmission fluid. I know mine was extremely notchy even after new transmission fluid change every few hundred miles ever get better and better eventually going away after a 2000 miles give or take a few hundred. Call Barton directly they used to sell solid transmission mounts for the original shifters you might be able to order one still.

Last edited:

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
You might need to shimmy your transmission so it sits better. I would contact Kelly from BMR, he's quite knowledgeable about driveline and suspension.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i would suggest trans mount of just going mgw. i finally made the switch from stock to mgw after i got annoyed with trying to find gears now it seems to fall right into gear
Sponsored