Sponsored

Another clutch problem! Hallelujah!

turbo65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Performance Pkg
Okay, guys it finally happened! I got a clutch problem!

Last weekend I was "spiritually" driving and missed the third gear. I hit the limiter for about a sec and the clutch pedal sunk to the floor! Having previously owned three other stick cars
this was extremely weird and frustrating! I thought the car might have gone into "limp mode" since I've seen this phrase surface here on the forums with GT350s being tracked heavily and what not. After 20 minutes of cooling down with the hood open, I hop in, start her up but still, this thing won't get into gear.
I call a flatbed to pick the car up and while I am waiting, my friend suggested we give her a little push and try to slide it into gear while matching the RPMs. The car drives and I can shift into second and third without the clutch. I even went flat out on second gear and there was no slippage. None!
We finish playing with the car and she's transported to my local Ford dealership. After inspection, the technician tells me I burned out the clutch and since this part is something like a brake pad it's not covered under the 36K bumper to bumper Ford warranty nor the lifetime drivetrain warranty I have on the car. He also said heat marks were seen on flywheel indicating I was racing the car, which I wasn't. I have been reading a lot of other forum members clutch problems and I think this might be a slave cylinder related issue??

The question here is, if the clutch is totally burned out as my dealer is saying, won't the car be slipping? Am I being lied to? WTF!! :shrug:

Car Info:
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium Performance Pkg
I am the first owner
23500 miles
Completely stock other than an ARH Catback

Below is the dealer's quote for the obnoxious repair!
unnamed.jpg
Sponsored

Timm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
It sounds like a it could be a bearing or slave cylinder issue, the clutch is engaged, but it sounds like it wont disengage. if it were an older model Id say your linkage has broken or isnt adjusted, with hydraulics perhaps the hydraulic line has a hole, leaking, or the slave cylinder isnt working. hard to diagnose from my perspective. I have allways turned my own wrenches, so it is hard to say what they are seeing. I would talk to another mechanic and pick their brain before I let an unknown dealership sell you on their parts labor etc.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Same thing that happened to me on my first clutch. Only had 900 miles on the car at the time so we argued and I won. They replaced it all under warranty. With almost 24k on it probably no way warranty will cover it. My pedal stayed down also and the clutch was fried. I do not think they are BSing you. Since you have to replace it on your own dime I would upgrade to a aftermarket setup.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I didn't realize clutch wasn't covered on the 3/36, cuz I am a fool apparently. Glad I came across this. I should probably go back through the warranty paperwork again SMH.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
After experiencing this personally, reading many posts and seeing pictures of the damage, I think I know why these clutches fail. The common factor is high RPM. I think when the clutch is depressed at a high RPM, the friction material is no longer sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate and the centrifugal force pulls the friction material off the disc.

Sorry to hear. BTW I have a new McLeod RST clutch for sale in the classifieds.

Sponsored

mm2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
After experiencing this personally, reading many posts and seeing pictures of the damage, I think I know why these clutches fail. The common factor is high RPM. I think when the clutch is depressed at a high RPM, the friction material is no longer sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate and the centrifugal force pulls the friction material off the disc.

Sorry to hear. BTW I have a new McLeod RST clutch for sale in the classifieds.
I've gotten some very 'shaky' pedal feel after some 4th gear high rpm pulls. Shaky as in TONS of vibration in the pedal while depressing or releasing it after going to redline in 4th. Only lasts for about 1-2 shifts and is rare, but I can see what you're getting at.

kenbidwell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2020 F250 Tremor, 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP(wifes car)
I had the same problem with around 16000 miles. Luckily the dealer listened to my complaints and covered it for me, I think they ate it because I know Ford considers this outside of the warranty. I have the extended warranty also but even with that, it wasn't covered. Props to my local dealer for the repair. I also missed a gear with a high rpm shift, service tech said the clutch plates had disintegrated. Now I am at 32000 and no more issues. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored