You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto, at first I was wondering if it was placebo effect but now that I have some miles on them its real effect and I concur with you guys.

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Is anyone else disturbed by how thin and fragile that stamped steel arm now looks with the bearings installed. It doesn't look structurally sound to me.
Seems like that attachment point, and therefore the arm itself, should be replaced with something much beefier to handle the forces that will be placed on it with a spherical bearing in place of the rubber.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ditto, at first I was wondering if it was placebo effect but now that I have some miles on them its real effect and I concur with you guys.
I actually had to almost re-learn how to steer this car because it actually does what I want it to do when I want it to do it now, and I had developed a "muscle memory" to almost turn "sooner" than I would really want to prior to the bearing. So I found myself turning in too hard/too quickly after installing this. Mental adjustment made... will be getting track tested at Gridlife South! :headbang:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Is anyone else disturbed by how thin and fragile that stamped steel arm now looks with the bearings installed. It doesn't look structurally sound to me.
Seems like that attachment point, and therefore the arm itself, should be replaced with something much beefier to handle the forces that will be placed on it with a spherical bearing in place of the rubber.
I thought about that, as well. Considering the hell I gave my arm whilst removing the stock bushing and the fact that it didn't even scratch, I'm not at all worried about it. Steeda has this in their #20 race car, no issues and that includes time at the abusive Sebring. I suppose risk is increased, sure, but I'd always want the arm to bend, not the subframe/mounting bracket. The arm is easy to replace. The subframe... not so much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying since there is no longer a massive hunk of rubber forces might bend the arm since its too firmly mounted? Well, the rear, front control arm is bearing as well (PP Cars & mine) so I'm doubtful it will be an issue but hey, I'm not an engineer.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're planning on crashing, that section of steel, paired with the other lower control arm are more than enough to be structurally sound and rigid enough to not deflect. The forces in the arm don't change, only what goes into the front subframe. The way the suspension is designed, the arm primarily sees loads in tension and compression, with little bending of significance. The bearing actually helps with that, as it will allow the arm to move with less of a reaction torque at the inner mounting point in response to any fore-aft/torsional loading.

They're not stamped, btw, they're cast.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're planning on crashing, that section of steel, paired with the other lower control arm are more than enough to be structurally sound and rigid enough to not deflect. The forces in the arm don't change, only what goes into the front subframe. The way the suspension is designed, the arm primarily sees loads in tension and compression, with little bending of significance. The bearing actually helps with that, as it will allow the arm to move with less of a reaction torque at the inner mounting point in response to any fore-aft/torsional loading.

They're not stamped, btw, they're cast.
As I mentioned, I am NOT an engineer. But this guy just might be :cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks! That's really good info. If the arms aren't seeing bending forces under normal use, then it's a non-issue as you state!

Sponsored

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
Would there be any maintenance required for the bearings in the long run? The same question applies to vertical links bearing, rear shock mount bearing, caster plate bearing. I always fear that debris might get between the ball and the housing, scratch the surface and make noise.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Would there be any maintenance required for the bearings in the long run? The same question applies to vertical links bearing, rear shock mount bearing, caster plate bearing. I always fear that debris might get between the ball and the housing, scratch the surface and make noise.
Grease the crap out of them, particularly if you live in a dusty climate or if you drive in the winter. The grease will act as an anti-corrosive.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Grease the crap out of them, particularly if you live in a dusty climate or if you drive in the winter. The grease will act as an anti-corrosive.
I second this. I usually just lubricate them with a quality white lithium grease spray

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
About how often do you need to re-apply the grease? I always like the kind of mods that do not necessitate additional maintenance.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
About how often do you need to re-apply the grease? I always like the kind of mods that do not necessitate additional maintenance.
Annually would be a good idea, depending on mileage and conditions, and periodically look at them.
Sponsored