Headers

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a new '17 Mustang V8 5.0 GT owner.
Met another Mustang owner at QuikTrip today. His car was a '16, and he mentioned that he just put 'headers' on.

Now, I want to add more sound to my car. HOWEVER, I don't want it obnoxiously loud. But more 'throaty', if that makes sense. His car sounded how I'd like mine.

So, my question(s):
- what are headers?
- will it make my Mustang have a sort of deep sound?
- easy to install/have installed?

Yes, I could have Googled this, but, I wanted expert opinions and answers.
So, thanks in advance
Sponsored

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
Headers are the pipes that connect from the engine to the exhaust pipe. It will make your car louder. It is not easy to install.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
1) Headers replace your exhaust manifolds and provide better flow/scavenging of the exhaust gases, making more power, typically in the 25-ish HP range, but generally more power in the midrange.

2) Exhaust sound is a magical science, it depends on the exhaust after the headers, whether or not you run with or without cats (catalytic converters), etc. I don't think headers change the pitch so much as kind of amplify the existing exhaust note.

3) They're a huge PITA, with different pains depending on the vendor. If you're really good at wrenching, have plenty of time 8+ hours, tools, and a lift solution with plenty of under car access, it's doable as a DIY, otherwise, I've seen quotes from $500 to a grand for header installs (ex: 8 hours @ 95/hr = $760)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Almost sounds like it is best on my next upgrade to simply get a Shelby, Cobra or Saleen.
Those seem to already have the 'sound' fine tuned (no pun intended).

Thanks for the info. Exhausts, manifolds, headers, etc. is a whole other world to me. I'm a computers guy ;)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Almost sounds like it is best on my next upgrade to simply get a Shelby, Cobra or Saleen.

Thanks for the info. Exhausts, manifolds, headers, etc. is a whole other world to me. I'm a computers guy ;)
Well, it's not _too_ expensive relative to a fully built turnkey car, and you can do things incrementally: headers now, a tune, later a supercharger or go NA with a GT350 or CJ intake.

I actually enjoy slowly building my cars up, performance, suspension, cosmetics, etc., make it my own.

I'm a computer guy too :D (specifically software dev/architect/writer)

Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Seems like everyone else answered your questions regarding what they are, sound and installation.

If you're looking to pick up a set give us a call. We're distributors for all of the top brands and can help you choose a system that best fits your needs. We also offer forum discounts so we can definitely save you some $$ on the upgrade.

561-753-8105.

Thanks, Jared

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I sent an email to Lethal Performance. Thanks

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide

Whatever you do DONT get a Saleen.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide

Sponsored

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
[MENTION=31152]ivanwi11iams[/MENTION] I'm not too far up in north Georgia if you wanna ride up and meet some time I will be happy to run you thru the basics and take you for a ride if you want? I'm naturally aspirated with a ton of aftermarket stuff including headers and I don't mind a bit to tell you what I know!

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciate the offer. You never know, I might just take you up on that one of these days. Seems you're only 1 hour 21 minutes away ;)

[MENTION=31152]ivanwi11iams[/MENTION] I'm not too far up in north Georgia if you wanna ride up and meet some time I will be happy to run you thru the basics and take you for a ride if you want? I'm naturally aspirated with a ton of aftermarket stuff including headers and I don't mind a bit to tell you what I know!

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
I get my E85 in Calhoun so that knocks off 40 minutes of that drive! Ill be glad to help you all I can. This forum is a huge help for me and I've met some really good people thru it so I'll be glad to return the favor!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Well, I'm new to all this. So, the first question would be, why not? Bad hardware, or...?
Because they don't really do any one particular thing well anymore, their work orders take far too long, and their quality control and customer service suck ass. Visit their website in their parts section and you'll see they offer very little.

I'd go with Steeda's Q750 or a Roush setup before ever going Saleen.

http://www.steedavehicles.com/q750/
Sponsored