what's the verdict on break-in?

OP
OP

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I've been following the Hellcat break-in recommendations.
Figured it's a similar set-up (V8 + blower) and they are warrantying the vehicle for 5/60, so they've put some thought (and engineering) behind the recommendations.

Here are their instructions:
I imagine supercharged is a different animal, with lots of heat and pressure down lower on the RPM band.

I test drove a Challenger R/T and it didn't seem like that HEMI wanted to rev. By 4000 RPM's or so, it was ready for the next gear. So that also is not apples to apples.

Mainly I just want to avoid a situation where once the odometer gets beyond 75-100k miles I am having to feed it a quart of oil between oil changes. Although I plan to work the engine fairly hard so it may do that anyway.
Sponsored

OP
OP

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
The owners manual documents a recommendation :-) Congratulations on the new car.
Only a brief section on Breaking-In, in the owners man, pg 186:

"You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles. During this time your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles (too fast?). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.

Do not tow during the first 1000 miles"

This does indeed sound like avoiding the higher RPMs for the first 1000 miles, but changing gears early means different things to different people. Be nice if Ford put a number there, such as 3500 RPM, which I just made up but sounds early to me. This is Honda Civic style driving.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC

"You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles. During this time your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles (too fast?). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.

This does indeed sound like avoiding the higher RPMs for the first 1000 miles, but changing gears early means different things to different people. Be nice if Ford put a number there, such as 3500 RPM, which I just made up but sounds early to me. This is Honda Civic style driving.
For this Mustang, I drove it normally around town, avoided red lining the engine the first 300 miles, and avoided a highway trip with the cruise control during the first 1000 miles. I did a number of 5000-6000 RPM blasts after 300 miles. The engine in my car doesn't require oil to be added. It has 15000+ miles on it now.

I agree with Grimace that sometimes folks become overly concerned about the break-in. In my Mustang experience since 1995, I have generally followed what was in the owner's manual and not had concerns with engine oil consumption.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

That's a pretty nebulous break-in description. "Change up through the gears early" ... who knows what that means. I guess if I had to decider that statement I'd say no more than 4,000 ~ 4500 RPM peak before shifting.

I think after 500 miles, it wouldn't hurt to rev up to 5500 ~ 6000 RPM now and then.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Did 3 SCCA events , went to Gingerman Raceway park, and a open airport run with speeds of 140mph+. Before I even seen 2000 miles. I did have the oil changed after Gingerman and airport run though. Drive it like you stole it!!!!!

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
That's a pretty nebulous break-in description. "Change up through the gears early" ... who knows what that means. I guess if I had to decider that statement I'd say no more than 4,000 ~ 4500 RPM peak before shifting.

I think after 500 miles, it wouldn't hurt to rev up to 5500 ~ 6000 RPM now and then.
It means vary the RPM and don't get into the higher end of the rev range.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It means vary the RPM and don't get into the higher end of the rev range.
Yes of course, but how high? I agree it seems Ford should have at least defined a max rev limit or two over the break-in period like some other auto makers do. Apparently it's not as important to Ford as some may think if Ford was nebulous on their break-in statement.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yes of course, but how high? I agree it seems Ford should have at least defined a max rev limit or two over the break-in period like some other auto makers do. Apparently it's not as important to Ford as some may think if Ford was nebulous on their break-in statement.
I would say no more than 60% of the redline which is about 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles. Then no higher than 80% of the redline which is 5000rpm until 2000 miles. Change oil at 2000 mile mark and then you can use 100% of the redline. Then change oil at 5000 miles. After that you can change every 10000 miles.
This is how its specified in my Ducati manual. I personally dont like beating the engine on dirty oil.

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would say no more than 60% of the redline which is about 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles. Then no higher than 80% of the redline which is 5000rpm until 2000 miles. Change oil at 2000 mile mark and then you can use 100% of the redline. Then change oil at 5000 miles. After that you can change every 10000 miles.
This is how its specified in my Ducati manual. I personally dont like beating the engine on dirty oil.
:doh:

1. Always ensure oil is at normal operating temperature before passing 3k RPM (this is by far the most important rule)
  2. Never load the engine - when in doubt, select a lower gear
  3. Do not let RPM stay in the same range for a long time (no long idle, no cruise control)
  4. Vary RPMs through the use of 1/2 WOT and full WOT (remembering rule 2)
  5. Employ compression braking from redline to 2-3k RPM
  6. Change the oil at 3-5k miles only if you're superstitious
You will have an engine that doesn't burn oil, doesn't leak oil or and lives up to its specifications.

:cheers:

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
Well...

Blower on within the first 100 miles and drove it easy for another 37 miles. Couldn't resist. Gonna change the oil tomorrow and cut the filter open to see.
Well what did you SEE....... :ford: Thanks John
Sponsored