Sponsored

Enhance Your EcoBoost Exhaust! Mishimoto Cat-Back Exhaust R&D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/PP
Patiently waiting for an update! Looking forward to seeing how this is going and how it will sound.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Patiently waiting for an update! Looking forward to seeing how this is going and how it will sound.
Thanks! We should have an additional update for you tomorrow. :cheers:

-John

khaosryder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
'15 RR 100A EB PP
Thanks! We should have an additional update for you tomorrow. :cheers:

-John
Yesterday you said tomorrow, JUST DO IT!

Hahaha sorry couldn't resist. Also realised it's 3 A.M. so still plenty of time left in the day :headbonk: can't wait to hear to new setup I love the routing :D

Spoolin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost PP 6spd Manual
To be honest I want it as quiet as possible. I don't care for loud, just a hint of the engine over stock with a lot better flow and you can take my money .

PhillMcKraken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
To be honest I want it as quiet as possible. I don't care for loud, just a hint of the engine over stock with a lot better flow and you can take my money .
This is what I am hoping for, SO badly. :cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Yesterday you said tomorrow, JUST DO IT!

Hahaha sorry couldn't resist. Also realised it's 3 A.M. so still plenty of time left in the day :headbonk: can't wait to hear to new setup I love the routing :D
Haha nice! Yes, we have a few more hours left here in the office. Not to worry, the post will be up soon.

This is what I am hoping for, SO badly. :cheers:
Thanks for the input guys! This is exactly what we are shooting for with our design.

Thanks for all the interest guys!:cheers:
-John

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Quick project update! Check it out.

Enhance Your EcoBoost Exhaust! Cat-Back Development, Part 3: Prototype 2 & 3 Testing

The search continues to find the optimal blend between a high-quality WOT (wide-open throttle) exhaust sound and a rich sound during normal driving and light-throttle driving situations. In this segment, we continue with our 2015 Mustang exhaust sound testing to see if we find our second or third prototype setup pleasing.

Dyno Testing

We set up our EB on the Dynapack for some more sound collection. We also kept an eye on power output and AFR readings to see if power changed on the factory tune, and to see if the improved flow would impact AFRs in any way. On our 2015 WRX, we saw these readings lean out a bit with the cat-back installed, so we wanted to see if this was the case with the 2.3L!

Preparing for 2015 Mustang EcoBoost exhaust dyno runs

Preparing for 2015 Mustang EcoBoost exhaust dyno runs

Cue the camera and fire up the four cylinder! Check out a video compilation of our runs comparing the stock exhaust to our 2nd and 3rd prototypes of the 2015 Mustang exhaust systems.

[ame]

Well…that was fun! In addition to drawing a crowd from our corporate team and making numerous runs, we recorded a ton of very useful information.
We first focused on the volume, which was the primary reason for this 2015 Mustang exhaust test. The second prototype setup sounded great. It was louder and more throaty under heavy throttle, yet smooth and refined at idle and when rowing through the gears at low rpm. Our third Mustang EcoBoost exhaust prototype has smaller round mufflers and was a touch too loud for our liking. This was nearly identical to our conclusions for the last cat-back project we had in the shop. The additional sound will only be enhanced with the addition of a larger downpipe. We want this 2015 Mustang EcoBoost exhaust to provide a nice tone when ripping to redline, yet it should still be drivable (in terms of noise on the highway and normal driving) with both a stock and larger diameter downpipe. We plan to test this out a bit further in the future to ensure our selection is ideal. This initial testing has us leaning towards our second prototype, but we would definitely like to conduct some further testing. There is only so much we can gather from testing in the garage. Soon we will be hitting the road with our second 2015 Mustang Exhaust prototype to investigate further.

We also learned about the impact of the larger cat-back on EcoBoost power output. In our case, variances in power were negligible after opening up the CBE portion of the 2015 Mustang EcoBoost exhaust. We know the addition of a downpipe and tune results in huge power gains (see downpipe testing results here), but it seems as though the cat-back upgrade will be an upgrade for sound/aesthetics. In addition, AFR was unaffected by the cat-back swaps during testing. All vital sensors saw appropriate readings and it appears this upgrade will function perfectly on the factory tune. Great news for our Mustang EcoBoost exhaust!

Downpipe + Cat-Back Adapter

We’ve provided some information about this adapter in the past few articles, but never actually provided a look at it. For those planning to run both our 3” downpipe and our larger cat-back exhaust, an adapter is needed to avoid necking the exhaust down to the factory inner diameter.
This piece has a v-band connection which attaches to the downpipe and a slip-joint clamp which attaches to the cat-back portion of the exhaust.

Mishimoto downpipe adapter for large diameter Mustang EcoBoost exhaust

Mishimoto downpipe adapter for large diameter Mustang EcoBoost

Coming Up!

With our selection narrowed down, we only have a few more steps in our process before we can start producing this cat-back exhaust. Next on the list is road testing with our prototype exhaust selection. Once we log some miles with our team members, we can have a discussion as to any adjustments that need to be made in terms of fitment, sound produced, etc.

Assuming our team is pleased with the sound during final testing, our next post will include some higher quality video from our professional video team featuring clips during all driving conditions. This should give you a better idea of the sound you can expect with our setup!

Thanks for reading guys!
-John

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Ohh boy :) ......looking great you guys!! Definitely have my eyes on this. That 3rd prototype didn't seem too loud though, I actually liked it. Wasn't too loud but still had some attitude.

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
I like the way things sound also, "If you want a sleeper. then don't wake the neighborhood".
Besides I'm getting to old to have a loud obnoxious (brand new) car

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Ohh boy :) ......looking great you guys!! Definitely have my eyes on this. That 3rd prototype didn't seem too loud though, I actually liked it. Wasn't too loud but still had some attitude.
Thanks! With the factory downpipe, the two prototypes sound somewhat similar in terms of volume. With a larger downpipe, the difference becomes a bit more obvious.

I like the way things sound also, "If you want a sleeper. then don't wake the neighborhood".
Besides I'm getting to old to have a loud obnoxious (brand new) car
Thanks, we absolutely agree! :cheers:

-John

Sponsored

Spoolin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost PP 6spd Manual
Its making the same amount of power as the map catback. Sure it did net like a couple hp/tq over the map setup but all in all its basically flowing the same which is what i want to see. Cant wait to hear some revs and drive bys on the street.

Last edited:

AmericanSpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 2.3T
I preferred the second exhaust as well. would be nice to get some sound clips outside the shop so we can hear what it sounds like without the exhaust vents and shop echo.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Second one sounds good but can't hear much over the dyno and the fans.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Its making the same amount of power as the map catback. Sure it did net like a couple hp/tq over the map setup but all in all its basically flowing the same which is what i want to see. Cant wait to here some revs and drive bys on the street.
Thanks for taking a look Spoolin!

I preferred the second exhaust as well. would be nice to get some sound clips outside the shop so we can hear what it sounds like without the exhaust vents and shop echo.
Second one sounds good but can't hear much over the dyno and the fans.
Thanks for the input guys! Agreed, the garage conditions are not ideal for capturing sound on film. We used this particular testing as a consistent baseline for our own opinions. Once we hit the road with our prototype exhaust, our professional video team will be capturing some awesome footage. Similar to our WRX cat-back video, we will likely have clips during a variety of driving conditions as well as in-car and drive-by footage.

As soon as we have that video complete it will be posted up!

Thanks for following our progress thus far!
-John

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
This looks promising. I also dont really want to increase noise levels with an exhaust. Looking for a little better performance and maybe a different sound without the drawback of the loud sound.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.