Sponsored

Rhumbline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 BMW M3
My guess is that the next GT500 will be the ultra horse power blown factory Mustang as in the past. I might suspect a slightly debored (back to 5.0) Voodoo block with thicker sleeves to stand up to Hellcat-challenging power levels. It would be curious if they would stick with the flat crank as the even intake/exhaust pulses on each bank would likely be beneficial for at least a twin turbo set up. Or use a smoother bent crank for, well, smoothness as might befit a slightly less intense if more powerful GT500.

I am glad the GT350 is NA as I think its not so much the quantity of power, though 500+ is nothing to sneeze at, but more so, the quality of that power and its delivery in context to its race track and road racing focus. The linearity of the throttle response in addition to its immediacy and quick revving nature are big assets in a road racing/track context. In addition, such a vivid, scintillating and unique motor will only stand ever more in contrast to the powerful but less responsive turbo motors that are becoming so ubiquitous these days and ahead.

Sure, one could always lash on a turbo/super charger for happy hour bragging rights, but would that actually make for a better, more enjoyable car overall? Perhaps those contemplating such things might find a better fit in the presumed upcoming GT500.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
i would say, from experience, the 350 will be far more fun to drive than anything else. And then for the whipped cream, you boost it. If done right, you get all that visceral NA feeling, linear smooth throttle, just more and more power all the way until that redline is singing.

That is why i want it, 500+is how the M should have came, Ford is now offering that driving experience at a reduced price, with an even more exotic tone, in a platform that will have huge aftermarket support.

Who the hell is going to buy an M3/4 now? only the people that care about showing off the keychain with a logo, but i assure you, real car fans are more impressed by the 350 than a late model BMW. The GT350 has everyones attention for the reasons I stated. Ford will take a significant part of the M market.

(I just hope it stays at msrp. I bought my 09 M3 in '11 for $51k, and that was a good deal at the time, I refuse to pay an ADM, id rather keep the M until i find even a 2nd hand 350 months later just to make sure i dont give in to dealer hype.)

BADASS03SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
some weird info in here.....no one add boost to Ferrari FPC's.....ever.

boring the cylinders wall is perfectly safe. You can bore a 5.4 GT500 block .60 over and it'll be fine. I'm sure Ford is keeping all the spec very safe as they usually do. Everyone was nervous about boosting the "high compression" Coyote and look how that went.

Sponsored

Senator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Turbo Cobra

boring the cylinders wall is perfectly safe. You can bore a 5.4 GT500 block .60 over and it'll be fine. I'm sure Ford is keeping all the spec very safe as they usually do. Everyone was nervous about boosting the "high compression" Coyote and look how that went.
Truth.
Wonder if the new 488gtb will utilize a FPC.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The Boss 302 was a highly tuned NA engine. And that thing loves boost.

It would be irresponsible to suggest what to do before too much info is available. So I'll share my thoughts here qualified with this: wait until you have some precedent to go off of and see who develops what. Or see if Ford Racing starts listing power adders for the voodoo in the catalog.

But just because the engine is new and powerful doesn't mean it's fragile.

Ford has really invested into this thing.

And they know some will want to add boost. It's a given.

Here's the thing. It's designed to be NA. And it's going to rock.

But the GT is designed to be NA too.

And the compression ratio is likely to be high. All that means is you run low boost. 6 lbs will still add a ton of power with that compression.

As far as tune, you have it tuned afresh for the new setup.

It's poseible you need fuel delivery mods as well. But at that level of boost, depending on what pumps and injectors the 350 ships with, you may not.

I'm guessing the voodoo will respond to the same kinds of mods the coyote does. Maybe better. And FI is definitely on the table.

However, the real argument is why?

Surely there is a gt500 coming that is nearly this very setup.

So makes sense to get that car.

You can argue that the gt350 is a ground up build for track dominance. True. But once you add turbos, super bathers etc, you change the weight and weight distribution on the car anyway.

The bottom line is this: if you own a 350 and your enjoy it more boosted, then research and do so responsibly. Then enjoy your ultimate destructor devourer of pavement.

If you are serious about tracking the car, leave it NA. There are other things you can do.

And if you're somrobe who wants the car to retain resale/collector value, then don't mod it.

Simple really.

But I bet this thing takes to boost like wasp larvae takes to spider guts.

IGJoe2192

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automobile

Yes but the Boss engine is a different animal. Its pistons definitely aren't as light as a 458's like the GT350's are. Now I am aware that you can make a light and strong piston. Sure you will be able to boost this engine, how much is the question and what type of fuel will you have to use. The Boss' compression ratio was only 11:1, the GT350 could very well be 12.5:1 making it rather hard to boost without using a higher octane fuel.

My main concern would be the longevity of the engine under boost. I personally will be keeping the long block stock and just adding exhaust to please my ears.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Understood.

My point about the boss engine was that Ford didn't have to, but they fortified the engine to accept modifications that increased power well beyond its factory intended threshold.

I expect the voodoo follow that pattern.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Both Underground Racing and Hennessey made twin turbo kits for the Ferrari 458.

http://www.undergroundracing.com/car-gallery/ferrari/195-ferrari-458-twin-turbo.html
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/fe458twtuup.html

In reality the Roadrunner was only a mild boost over the standard Coyote in terms of factory tuning and power output. Definitely a better foundation for upgrades before having to upgrade the internals, but nowhere near the ragged edge of N/A performance.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Guys...I am ashamed to admit it, but I am the only person I know to Supercharge a 2007 Porsche GT3 RS, and ruin the engine, not from racing it, but normal driving. Im not sure of the technical term for what I did is, but the Porsche mechanic said that air was pasting through or around the pistons, and the check engine light would come on every 30 miles or so. He also told me I should of lower the compression first and a few other things, the supercharge it....the moral of this story don't supercharge this engine. Get a GT500 with a warranty. Just my opinion

NicksM3

Trak Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3 Competition
i would say, from experience, the 350 will be far more fun to drive than anything else. And then for the whipped cream, you boost it. If done right, you get all that visceral NA feeling, linear smooth throttle, just more and more power all the way until that redline is singing.

That is why i want it, 500+is how the M should have came, Ford is now offering that driving experience at a reduced price, with an even more exotic tone, in a platform that will have huge aftermarket support.

Who the hell is going to buy an M3/4 now? only the people that care about showing off the keychain with a logo, but i assure you, real car fans are more impressed by the 350 than a late model BMW. The GT350 has everyones attention for the reasons I stated. Ford will take a significant part of the M market.

(I just hope it stays at msrp. I bought my 09 M3 in '11 for $51k, and that was a good deal at the time, I refuse to pay an ADM, id rather keep the M until i find even a 2nd hand 350 months later just to make sure i dont give in to dealer hype.)
Agreed and im with ya! .. i bought my 2011 E92 M3 DCT Competition Package in May for 46K with 24K miles...added tons of track bits on her (GTS CLONE). Took her to LimeRock 2x this past season... but i am in the market for the 350 hands down! The car is all around perfect. IF i cant get a deal on a new one then i will enjoy my M and wait as a 2nd owner 350.
What blower did you throw on your E92? ESS? and what model?

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
Guys...I am ashamed to admit it, but I am the only person I know to Supercharge a 2007 Porsche GT3 RS, and ruin the engine, not from racing it, but normal driving. Im not sure of the technical term for what I did is, but the Porsche mechanic said that air was pasting through or around the pistons, and the check engine light would come on every 30 miles or so. He also told me I should of lower the compression first and a few other things, the supercharge it....the moral of this story don't supercharge this engine. Get a GT500 with a warranty. Just my opinion

You're absolutely correct. Boosting will shorten the expected life cycle of the motor and the integrity of the sum of all the components will degrade exponentially.

If you have the kind of money to purchase the kits to boost in the first place then you can afford to buy a FPC crate engine with direct injection, lower compression and already equipped with twin turbos and swap the motor.

Then you can run a properly configured variant of the Voodoo setup for boosting while keeping the OEM engine on ice for the day when you want to resell it at its full potential value. Otherwise modding the OEM setup will devalue your purchase 100%.

Most people who understand engine life expectancy wouldn't touch it with an aftermarket boost kit bolted onto the OEM motor.

If you really want to throw away your money....just hand it over to me.