Questions about playing music from USB

DABKO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt & 2001 DHG Bullitt
For Christmas I received an SD card. I transferred all of my music from iTunes to the SD card, plus several other additional albums. The SD card works great, sound level and fidelity seems better then when previously playing the music from my Iphone via either Bluetooth or the USB port.
Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Hmmm I thought iTunes would take care of that...obviously not! (I dragged and dropped from iTunes into the USB window).

I Googled some mp3 file-tagging programs...is that what you used?
Yes, I use a program for Windows called "Tag Scanner". It works well and also has pretty good bulk update abilities.

For Christmas I received an SD card. I transferred all of my music from iTunes to the SD card, plus several other additional albums. The SD card works great, sound level and fidelity seems better then when previously playing the music from my Iphone via either Bluetooth or the USB port.
Cool, just for anyone that doesn't know, if you use an SD card and have Navigation you will have to remove the Navigation SD card. So, if you have Nav you should probably just get a USB stick and not an SD card. :cheers:

DABKO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt & 2001 DHG Bullitt
Yes, I use a program for Windows called "Tag Scanner". It works well and also has pretty good bulk update abilities.

Cool, just for anyone that doesn't know, if you use an SD card and have Navigation you will have to remove the Navigation SD card. So, if you have Nav you should probably just get a USB stick and not an SD card. :cheers:
Correct, I don't have Navigation so the SD slot is open for other usage.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, I don't have Navigation so the SD slot is open for other usage.
I didn't know that until the day I picked up the car and had a 64GB SD card loaded up and ready to go. ;)

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Might be a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway.

Way back when, folks use to use limewire or something similar to "get" music. Are folks still doing that?

Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Way back when, folks use to use limewire or something similar to "get" music. Are folks still doing that?
Probably.

I still find p2p software on "friends" computers when they call me to help them fix the viruses, spyware and http redirects. I put "friends" in quotes because we used to be friends and now I seem to be their PC technician. My 2015 resolution is to start charging them my actual rate. ;)

So, even if they are still in use, I wouldn't touch those apps as the content you receive are usually riddled with viruses and exploits, from what I see first hand. The 9 PCs in my house (okay... only 4 are Windows machines) haven't had a virus or trojan in so many years I can't remember. Yet, somehow my "friends" seem to get them weekly.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Probably.

I still find p2p software on "friends" computers when they call me to help them fix the viruses, spyware and http redirects. I put "friends" in quotes because we used to be friends and now I seem to be their PC technician. My 2015 resolution is to start charging them my actual rate. ;)

So, even if they are still in use, I wouldn't touch those apps as the content you receive are usually riddled with viruses and exploits, from what I see first hand. The 9 PCs in my house (okay... only 4 are Windows machines) haven't had a virus or trojan in so many years I can't remember. Yet, somehow my "friends" seem to get them weekly.
Thanks!

Are you just ripping your own CD collection music? I guess that is what I will do as well. Plus download the songs I have purchased over the years on to my USB stick.

chops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP [RR]

Yes, music piracy is still a thing...but thankfully there are a ton of legit ways to get music now that we didn't have back in the early 2000's when P2P services like Limewire, Napster, etc were the heat.

I use Spotify. I love it. $10 a month gets me unlimited, ad-free music through my phone and computer. I'll stream it through a bluetooth speaker in my house getting ready in the morning, then hop in the car and it picks up right where I left off. No fussing around with memory cards and organizing/cataloging files!

Aside from a few artists they have pretty much everything. You can even sync playlists in advance over a wi-fi connection so you're not crushing your limited cellular data cap. I have to say it has really broadened and enlivened my music experience. And the $10 is no skin off my back, two starbucks coffees a months :)

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
Lol I just destroyed my library by autoupdating tags from filename in MediaMonkey (I'll take a look at Tag Scanner). I have lots of home-made compilations that will need to be hand-curated. Good thing I have a backup of my library...

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Probably.

I feel your pain! I am the go to guy for anything technology related in my family and group of friends. I let them all know that my New Years resolution was not to fix a damn thing this year. If they can't fix it I have deemed them too stupid to own it :D.... Sigh I give it a week before I cave in.

Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!

Are you just ripping your own CD collection music? I guess that is what I will do as well. Plus download the songs I have purchased over the years on to my USB stick.
I am ripping everything I buy on physical media and downloading my digital purchases. I still like to buy media, call me old fashioned. ;)

Lol I just destroyed my library by autoupdating tags from filename in MediaMonkey (I'll take a look at Tag Scanner). I have lots of home-made compilations that will need to be hand-curated. Good thing I have a backup of my library...
Ouch! Yeah, I always like to use the "Preview" option before I apply a change. Glad you have a backup! MediaMonkey hosed me once before as well and it took a couple days to recover.

I feel your pain! I am the go to guy for anything technology related in my family and group of friends. I let them all know that my New Years resolution was not to fix a damn thing this year. If they can't fix it I have deemed them too stupid to own it :D.... Sigh I give it a week before I cave in.
:)

What we do for our friends and loved ones. I've had to tell my wife's parents that I don't even use Windows for work. Everything I do at work is Linux and Embedded systems for cars. Somehow, they keep asking me if I work for Dell. :confused: Old people..... err... I'm close to being "old people" so I guess I should say "older people". :D

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Not entirely.

What I've done is bought a couple 64gb micro sd cards, but then got a very tiny micro sd usb thumb drive.

I had bought the micro sd card since it was supposed to work with my dash cam. Then I got another (different brand), and it too didn't work. So I scrapped that idea and just got the micro sd thumb drive and will use those cards for music. Popular music on one, and Country on the other.

Now I just have to keep track of those tiny little cards.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not entirely.

What I've done is bought a couple 64gb micro sd cards, but then got a very tiny micro sd usb thumb drive.

I had bought the micro sd card since it was supposed to work with my dash cam. Then I got another (different brand), and it too didn't work. So I scrapped that idea and just got the micro sd thumb drive and will use those cards for music. Popular music on one, and Country on the other.

Now I just have to keep track of those tiny little cards.
Of course that works... as well as a standard SD->USB adapter. But if you're going to start from scratch, I would just get a USB3 stick so that copy time to the stick (provided you have a USB3 port) is faster.

I use these in my cars now, they are tiny and the 64GB unit has been on sale multiple times for $23-$28 recently.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Low-Profile-Flash-SDCZ43-064G-G46/dp/B00LLEODCK

The larger standard SD adapter also works but is much less preferred as they are easy to bump and they are cheap, and cheaply made and tend to break. I've bought about 10 in the last 6 months for my employees at work that keep having accidents with them and breaking them off in USB connectors. Friggen butterfingers! ;)

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
I am ripping everything I buy on physical media and downloading my digital purchases. I still like to buy media, call me old fashioned. ;)
Not old fashion at all!

What software are you using to rip your physical media to your USB stick or drive location?
What is the best file format to save them in?

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Not old fashion at all!

What software are you using to rip your physical media to your USB stick or drive location?
What is the best file format to save them in?
I believe mp3 is the only thing supported. I know that ogg and flac are not supported anyhow, I've tried those already. You just want to use 320kb/s to prevent overly compressing things.

I use Exact Audio Copy myself.
Sponsored