Sponsored

Why more GT500's for sale than 350’s or Mach 1’s?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed a lot more GT500s for sale as well but to be honest there are any number of reasons those owners are selling the car. Whether it had something to do with the car itself or not remains unknown.

Some general reasons that I can think of are:
-Some buy the new "hot car" which the GT500 was from 2020-2023 but now owners are looking for something else that is now more trendy.
-Some bought the car to flip but fell on their ass and won't be able to sell for a profit... yet they keep the car for sale at a high price hoping someone will come along and pay the extra high price.
-Some may have had higher expectations for the car that ended up not living up to what the person hoped for.
-Some could afford the car at the time but their financial situation may have changed (layoff from work) or their lifestyle changed (starting/expanding family, having kids) forcing them to rethink owning the car with life's evolving priorities.
-Some may have really wanted the fastest 6th gen Shelby but may have gotten bored of it OR ended up regretting it if they were a die hard manual transmission nut that convinced themselves that it would still be worth giving up the clutch pedal.
-Some probably enjoyed the car entirely, got their fill of the enjoyment but simply decided it is time to move on.

Probably safe to say that this list of reasons could apply to any expensive sports car really. I don't think this is GT500 specific.
it sounds crazy but it seemed like one of those cars people bought for internet points and never really drove. In line with your first point I guess.
Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
There are also combinations of those. I talked to young guy in Brampton (IYKYK) about a 2021 GT500 private sale and did some digging on him.

He bought the car new and was paying that $1000 a month car payment
He lost his job after the first few months of owning the car
He's now trying to sell the car AND make money on the deal

I laughed and gave him my number and told him to call before the tow truck shows up to repo it. We'll talk about price then.

Last edited:

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
I've noticed a lot more GT500s for sale as well but to be honest there are any number of reasons those owners are selling the car. Whether it had something to do with the car itself or not remains unknown.
I don't wanna be pedantic but this is just objectively false. I've had a 20-22 GT500 autotrader search book marked for over 2 years now, and with only 230 for sale in the United States at the current moment, this is the least amount of GT500s for sale ever since they've been released. It may seem like you've "Noticed a lot more for sale", and that may be true in your area, but it's just false in the macro sense.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Lmao. Tire kicking, stalker, and hater, all wrapped in one .

There are also combinations of those. I talked to young guy in Brampton (IYKYK) about a 2021 GT500 private sale and did some digging on him.

He bought the car new and was paying that $1000 a month car payment
He lost his job after the first few months of owning the car
He's now trying to sell the car AND make money on the deal

I laughed and gave him my number and told him to call before the tow truck shows up to repo it. We'll talk about price then.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
So .......here are my thoughts....noticed the same thing around here...LOTS of 500s for sale

GT350 - bespoke motor/ manual transmission - VERY high probability of Ford never building a flat plane crank motor ever again
GT500- VERY high probability Ford launches something in the S650 generation with the Predator motor/ DCT- Not sure what that will do to current GT500 values...

If I was in the position to add a GT500 to my garage, I would probably hold off to see what Ford comes up with - not because I want an S650- but because I feel as though it would create downward pressure on S550 GT500 pricing....

I also feel as though with the whole EV thing- 0-60/acceleration times have been de-emphasized and everything has been put on driver experience.... I LOVE the DCT transmission- but its not a manual transmission ...and the GT500 feels more refined relative to the GT350 in my opinion.... (good or bad depending on what you want)

Not that the GT500 is bad - its still freaking awesome and eventually when the kids are out of college, I will add one to the garage- but I wont be replacing my car with one...

The decline of C8 prices- for a street car in the hands of an average driver- a C8 is going to be faster in stop light encounters up to 60/70MPH most of the time if acceleration is your thing and you love DCTs - not to mention it give you that cool mid-engine car feel...

Z06 prices are coming back down to earth (a little) as well-

Personally- if base Z06 prices get within 10K of CFTP prices- as much as Im a Ford guy - Im not so sure I dont buy the base Z06 over the CFTP... yes I know the 500 is faster in a roll race - but damn that Z06 sounds good

I will say this- at least 4 times a week I do a search on AutoTrader for GT500s within a 500 mile radius of me... (If I found the perfect car at the perfect price I might just say screw it YOLO lol) which leads me to.....

Dealership greed- for example there was a 1 owner black/ white stripe 20 GT500 with handling pack/ recaro/ carbon fiber dash with 18K miles on it and minor Car Fax damage- dealer was asking 84K - sat on their lot for almost a year- it was down to an advertised price of 72K before it sold...

I think a lot of people/dealers are still trying to get 2022 prices- I am very realistic in what I think my car is worth today- and its not even close to what I could have potentially sold it for 2 years ago....

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Completely false. You’re misimformed. They’re being fire saled all over. :captain:

I don't wanna be pedantic but this is just objectively false. I've had a 20-22 GT500 autotrader search book marked for over 2 years now, and at 230 for sale in the United States at the current moment, this is the least amount of GT500s for sale ever since they've been released. It may seem like you've "Noticed a lot more for sale", and that may be true in your area, but it's just false in the macro sense.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
So .......here are my thoughts....noticed the same thing around here...LOTS of 500s for sale

GT350 - bespoke motor/ manual transmission - VERY high probability of Ford never building a flat plane crank motor ever again
GT500- VERY high probability Ford launches something in the S650 generation with the Predator motor/ DCT- Not sure what that will do to current GT500 values...

If I was in the position to add a GT500 to my garage, I would probably hold off to see what Ford comes up with - not because I want an S650- but because I feel as though it would create downward pressure on S550 GT500 pricing....

I also feel as though with the whole EV thing- 0-60/acceleration times have been de-emphasized and everything has been put on driver experience.... I LOVE the DCT transmission- but its not a manual transmission ...and the GT500 feels more refined relative to the GT350 in my opinion.... (good or bad depending on what you want)

Not that the GT500 is bad - its still freaking awesome and eventually when the kids are out of college, I will add one to the garage- but I wont be replacing my car with one...

The decline of C8 prices- for a street car in the hands of an average driver- a C8 is going to be faster in stop light encounters up to 60/70MPH most of the time if acceleration is your thing and you love DCTs - not to mention it give you that cool mid-engine car feel...

Z06 prices are coming back down to earth (a little) as well-

Personally- if base Z06 prices get within 10K of CFTP prices- as much as Im a Ford guy - Im not so sure I dont buy the base Z06 over the CFTP... yes I know the 500 is faster in a roll race - but damn that Z06 sounds good

I will say this- at least 4 times a week I do a search on AutoTrader for GT500s within a 500 mile radius of me... (If I found the perfect car at the perfect price I might just say screw it YOLO lol) which leads me to.....

Dealership greed- for example there was a 1 owner black/ white stripe 20 GT500 with handling pack/ recaro/ carbon fiber dash with 18K miles on it and minor Car Fax damage- dealer was asking 84K - sat on their lot for almost a year- it was down to an advertised price of 72K before it sold...

I think a lot of people/dealers are still trying to get 2022 prices- I am very realistic in what I think my car is worth today- and its not even close to what I could have potentially sold it for 2 years ago....
I don't wanna be pedantic but this is just objectively false. I've had a 20-22 GT500 autotrader search book marked for over 2 years now, and with only 230 for sale in the United States at the current moment, this is the least amount of GT500s for sale ever since they've been released. It may seem like you've "Noticed a lot more for sale", and that may be true in your area, but it's just false in the macro sense.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
You do realize not everyone lists a GT500 on Autotrader… right?
Maybe expand your sites a bit to Bring a Trailer, Cars & Bids, AutoTempest, Cargurus, Carfax, Cars.com and you will see what I mean. Not to mention the dealers that don’t list cars for sale on search sites and only post listings on their direct website or social media.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
You do realize not everyone lists a GT500 on Autotrader… right?
Maybe expend your sites a bit to Bring a Trailer, Cars & Bids, AutoTempest, Cargurus, Carfax, Cars.com and you will see what I mean. Not to mention the dealers that don’t list cars for sale on search sites and only post listings on their direct website or social media.
So your anecdote is more representative than looking at autotrader for 2 years? 🤣 Someone said earlier there are 185ish on cargurus. Most people in this day in age are gonna list a vehicle for sale on autotrader. I don't know why you'd choose to not list on every site, it takes 2 minutes a post, if that. Why would you list on one of them and not the BIGGEST one of them....

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I just edited the thread title… what I was getting at was how many are for sale relative to 350’s and Mach 1’s.

Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
I just edited the thread title… what I was getting at was how many are for sale relative to 350’s and Mach 1’s.
You may wanna edit it again, lol. According to auto trader, there are 327 GT350s for sale in North America (more years, many more made), 205 Mach 1's for sale in North America, and 228 GT500s.

Last edited:

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)

No where did I say there was more 500s for sale today then ever before : )

To OPs point

CFTP- 76 for sale
350R - 50 for sale

More base 350s for sale then 500s- but they made more 350s... I would guess when you look at % of total production currently being offered up for sale- I would be curious to see what the numbers would look like....Im too lazy on a Saturday morning to do the calculations...lol

Lots of high priced 500s and 350s that have been sale for a LONG time....

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
No where did I say there was more 500s for sale today then ever before : )
I didn't say you said that, I said at this moment there are the least amount of s550 GT500s for sale since they've come out.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
You may wanna edit it again, lol. According to auto trader, there are 532 GT350s for sale in North America (more years, many more made), 205 Mach 1's for sale in North America, and 228 GT500s.

I am showing something different

277 GT350s - base for sale nationwide on autotrader
228 GT500s (includes CFTP- so subtract 50 for base to base comparison)
205 Mach 1s

CFTP- 76
350R - 50

Also- edit- I think the fact they combine CFTP and base into one search - gives the perception there are more for sale then there really are when comparing to 350s
Sponsored