TPMS issues

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Looking for some help on a frustrating issue with my TPMS. I replaced the wheels back in 22'. I bought some sensors from the tire shop I had the tires mounted at. According to the guy all his sensors are OE. With in :45 minutes of driving around the light would go off & sensors would stop reading. Fast fwd a few weeks & the guy replaced them with some new ones thinking they might of been faulty. Once again, :30 to :45 of driving & sensors would act up, light would go on & sensors would stop reading. I read on here a few threads & all of them pointed to the sensors needing to be ford made tpms not 3rd party. I kept telling the tire guy this & he kept telling me they were OE. So I swapped my original wheels back on, trained sensors & sure enough, no issues. Went back to the tire guy, he ordered new sensors & once again rinse & repeat. Didn't work.

We were at a loss & confused af. He said he had a pair of new sensors that could be reflashed. We took my original wheels in, he said he copied the program from my OE wheels on to the 3rd set & should be ok. Nope, was even worse, after only a few minutes of driving sensors would shut off & would not work. So we gave up. I took my stock wheels in, we removed tpm sensors off the OE wheels & installed them on the aftermarket wheels. We've had some bad weather so car had been sitting for a while. Weather finally been ok as of late, I took the car for a drive, came home, retrained the sensors & everything seemed OK. Car said all sensors were matched & off I went. Filled up on fuel, drove around for :30 & sure enough, sensor light is back on. I have no idea wtf to do. When car is off & turned backon on the light will be off, but after the 30 minute mark it's the same thing all over again. It's always the same 3. Even with the other sensors, it was always the same 3 that would stop working. Anyone run into this issue? Last thing I want to do is take it to my local dealer. The bill would come out way more than buying a few set of sensors. I'm willing to even buy all the Forscan tools to shut off the sensors if that's possible than having to deal with my local dealership. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

20240220_200553.jpg
Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Buy at set at tpms.com. They work every time. I didn't even have to train them. @shogun32 turned me on to the site. Zero issues. They're only about $100 or so. Just plug in your year make model on the site.

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Buy at set at tpms.com. They work every time. I didn't even have to train them. @shogun32 turned me on to the site. Zero issues. They're only about $100 or so. Just plug in your year make model on the site.
The thing is I already went through 3 different sets & the ones on the car now are the original ones that came with the car. We took them off the stock wheels

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
The thing is I already went through 3 different sets & the ones on the car now are the original ones that came with the car. We took them off the stock wheels
The original ones aren't staying connected to the system either?

Any chance they got mixed up at the tire shop and the originals aren't installed?

Doesn't make sense for them to suddenly start failing unless they were abused or you're just unlucky.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
The fact that you put back on the original wheels and had no issues, it is possible the sensors sold to the tire shop were counterfeits. They could be OEM as he states, however, if he got them off Amazon or eBay at a good price, there may be a reason for the good price. I've had that happen.

There are some things I get directly from OEM's or from reputable companies that have a better handle on supply chains. TPMS sensors, because of their cost and the hassle of dealing with quality issues, fall into that category. BTW...on Amazon, I look for the OEM's store when comparison shopping, not the multiple competitors when the product can pose significant frustrations...and safety concerns.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
The original ones aren't staying connected to the system either?

Any chance they got mixed up at the tire shop and the originals aren't installed?

Doesn't make sense for them to suddenly start failing unless they were abused or you're just unlucky.
Yeah the original ones aren't connecting anymore & it's the same 3 failing from the attached picture. It crossed my mind that they might of gotten mixed up but the tire shop guy is an honest guy & was careful when doing the job. He claimed he has done other mustangs & never went through what we went through.

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
The fact that you put back on the original wheels and had no issues, it is possible the sensors sold to the tire shop were counterfeits. They could be OEM as he states, however, if he got them off Amazon or eBay at a good price, there may be a reason for the good price. I've had that happen.

There are some things I get directly from OEM's or from reputable companies that have a better handle on supply chains. TPMS sensors, because of their cost and the hassle of dealing with quality issues, fall into that category. BTW...on Amazon, I look for the OEM's store when comparison shopping, not the multiple competitors when the product can pose significant frustrations...and safety concerns.
That was my argument from the beginning with the other sets we tried. We went through 3 sets & all had similar issues. In the end we installed the stock ones & the issue still keeps happening now with the stock tpms. He thinks it might be the module that reads them. When I start the car they all read & the pressure is correct. It's only after a short while of driving that 3/4 stop reading, go blank, & light comes on.

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Would this be something covered under warranty since it is the OE sensors?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
& it's the same 3 failing
Ford dealer needs to probe the radio receivers and the BCM then. Or just walk the time clock to pre-Cambric and use one of those doohickies that you press into the valve stem.

Yes this is a warranty item.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Ford dealer needs to probe the radio receivers and the BCM then. Or just walk the time clock to pre-Cambric and use one of those doohickies that you press into the valve stem.

Yes this is a warranty item.
Awesome thank you.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
That was my argument from the beginning with the other sets we tried. We went through 3 sets & all had similar issues. In the end we installed the stock ones & the issue still keeps happening now with the stock tpms. He thinks it might be the module that reads them. When I start the car they all read & the pressure is correct. It's only after a short while of driving that 3/4 stop reading, go blank, & light comes on.
It does sound like a coincidental timing of module failure based on later testing. While your situation is different, I do have a configuration that fools the module. I have a spare tire with TPMS. When the module sees a fifth sensor it chooses the one(s) it wants. I've had the module randomly chose tires throughout a day (Each time I started the vehicle, the module initiated a new TPMS sensor search and I had no way of knowing which tire really read what.) I learned to keep all tires, including the spare, at the same level. It is nice having a Costco membership for obtaining "free" air.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It is nice having a Costco membership for obtaining "free" air.
all you have to do is drive up to the external pumps. No membership required. I don't know if they power them off with the store/gas station though.

OP
OP
Cordero1

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
What made me think I had it this time is the OE sensors being in place. Also before I trained them, 3/4 read at 40 psi & one at 35 which was the rear passenger, after the training was done, the one with 35 psi showed to be now the front passenger. But in the end the same happened. I called the dealer where I got it from & they asked to take it in this week. Told them I could so soon since I live 3.5 hours away & I'm on call this week at work. So we set up for next Wednesday. So now I just have to take a day off & make a trip. We'll see what comes of it. Thank you all for your responses & suggestions.

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Did you see if the frequency on the new sensors are programmed to 315 MHz? (I think our mustangs and Fords in general read at 315 MHz) If it’s any other frequency it will read for a little bit of time then stop and start flashing saying you got a tpms issue. And that’s the exact issue you’re having.
Sponsored