Driving Gloves

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Haha I know, if you can get past the tacticool look, they are really good gloves!
I mentioned it in my post, but the camo Mechanix grips the alcantera far better than the solid color gloves. I am not sure why, the material feels the same.
Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
I've never cleaned or conditioned the steering wheel or the seats in my Premium GT and it's all perfect still. Maybe because It's garage kept and out of the sun but It's all perfect. I don't wear gloves
That's too bad, clean it with a proper leather cleaner and you will clearly see and feel the difference.
Each of my car is garage kept, and every time I can appreciate a clear difference.

Also, I can recommend a good leather sealant after you thoroughly cleaned the surfaces.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Many years ago I had a BMW 330i. A running joke at work was this pretentious a$$hat chemist wore driving gloves (Mustang driver btw). Used to joke about it constantly.
Oh funny. As a smartass teenager me and my friends were hanging out at a bus stop in town (NJ daze) in winter and decided kicking snow on passing cars would be funny. And it was, to us. I see a VW Karmann Ghia coming up and shower it with a hefy kick, wap! But shit, the guy slows down and pulls over. He gets out and comes over, "Who threw snow on my car?" and he has driving gloves on. We're laughing and not saying. Then he points to me and says "You're the one! I'm reporting you to the police!" I'm thinking what a tool with his driving gloves in a Kamann Ghia. He goes to the house near the bus stop and tries to get the lady inside to let him use the phone to call the police. She looks at us while he's ranting and shakes her head and shuts the door. We are really laughing now. He comes back and is like "Yyyyou-ou-ou are going to be in trouble, I'm going to go the police!" and stalks off to his VW. We hopped the bus and laughed our asses off, because we're smartass teenagers. But that's why I'm adverse to ever wearing driving gloves even when they probably make sense. To be fair we lived in a town filled with Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes, Rolls, English sports cars, even Ferrari's and Lamborghinis so his (to us) wimpy Ghia acting like it's a sports car was joke.

Sponsored

tsantsa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Oh funny. As a smartass teenager me and my friends were hanging out at a bus stop in town (NJ daze) in winter and decided kicking snow on passing cars would be funny. And it was, to us. I see a VW Karmann Ghia coming up and shower it with a hefy kick, wap! But shit, the guy slows down and pulls over. He gets out and comes over, "Who threw snow on my car?" and he has driving gloves on. We're laughing and not saying. Then he points to me and says "You're the one! I'm reporting you to the police!" I'm thinking what a tool with his driving gloves in a Kamann Ghia. He goes to the house near the bus stop and tries to get the lady inside to let him use the phone to call the police. She looks at us while he's ranting and shakes her head and shuts the door. We are really laughing now. He comes back and is like "Yyyyou-ou-ou are going to be in trouble, I'm going to go the police!" and stalks off to his VW. We hopped the bus and laughed our asses off, because we're smartass teenagers. But that's why I'm adverse to ever wearing driving gloves even when they probably make sense. To be fair we lived in a town filled with Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes, Rolls, English sports cars, even Ferrari's and Lamborghinis so his (to us) wimpy Ghia acting like it's a sports car was joke.
Hahahaha great story!

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Definitely adds to the coolness factor. I guess the one glove on the right to prevent shift knob slippage is beneficial. Leather on leather can make for a more secure grip but doesnā€™t it also diminish the steering ā€œfeedbackā€?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Golf gloves. Super thin, soft leather and form fitting. Never tried it but you could start a new trend.
I do have plenty of golf gloves in my golf bag. Might give it a try. Same as the Michael Jackson comment, I only have them for one hand šŸ¤£

Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
cheap fake leather mountain biking gloves off amazon are super grippy on alcantara, I always drive with them on

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I mentioned in the driving shoes thread but will start a new thread. Iā€™m religious about keeping the leather on my steering wheel cleaned and conditioned but curious if anyone wears driving gloves for regular street driving, and if so, do you wear leather gloves or racing gloves? I currently wear some winter liner gloves because itā€™s winter here.

Just curious what everyone does and if itā€™s really beneficial to wear driving gloves if Iā€™m cleaning and conditioning the leather on the steering wheel appropriately.
I use leather law enforcement search gloves. The are soft, relatively thin and supple.
Honestly the best driving gloves I've ever used.

tsantsa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I use leather law enforcement search gloves. The are soft, relatively thin and supple.
Honestly the best driving gloves I've ever used.
Where can one source said gloves?

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Where can one source said gloves?
Just search Amazon for "Leather Search Gloves" and several will pop up. I've been using mine for five years now- I think these are the ones I have:

https://www.amazon.com/QUALITY-WEARS-USA-Tactical-Resistant/dp/B086B8VM3Y/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2G82FXHQCMVYK&keywords=leather+search+gloves&qid=1707413444&sprefix=leather+search+gloves,aps,233&sr=8-5&th=1

There are lined ones that are probably kind of thick, but the thin single layer ones aren't thick at all and feel great.

I got one of the less expensive pairs- they were a bit stiff when they were new, but only took a few weeks of using them to break 'em in. They're like butter now.
Sponsored

Last edited: