Sponsored

"Sound Tube" on S550 GT?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
It's absolutely artificial! The pressure variations in the intake are converted to an artificial sound through an over-engineered diaphragm (kinda like a kazoo) and the sound is released into the cabin. The Coyote would not make this sound without the sound tube. It's the equivalent of clipping playing cards to your bike frame so they rattle on the spokes and sound like a motorcycle. Ford and their engineers should be embarassed to put this on such a fine car. Lmao

To be honest, I never really heard it. As I got the Ford Power kit right when I bought the car new in 2020.
Sponsored

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
I’m going to detach it and listen to the exhaust (and plug the intake hole) before I completely remove it. I do really enjoy the sound of the stock active exhaust and don’t want it to be raspier because of not having it.

but I do know my 2001 Mustang GT and 2008 Pontiac G8 GT didn't have any sort of motor sound apparatus like that and they both sounded killer. But different cars/motors/etc so who knows-just gotta demo it without the tube to see if I stil like it. Sounds like most people don’t think it adds a ton to the equation. If that’s the case, I’m kinda surprised Ford would add this sort of expense to their manufacturing process.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT/CS
I don’t understand the obsession with the sound tube. People put axle back exhausts that do virtually nothing but change the noise and everyone likes it … so why care about a sound tube ? It’s not like it changes the real sound or makes up a fake sound it just amplifies like a axel back does … Plus it’s not like we drive a low powered fart can trying to sound like they are fast .., I say long live the sound tube!
I’m going to detach it and listen to the exhaust (and plug the intake hole) before I completely remove it. I do really enjoy the sound of the stock active exhaust and don’t want it to be raspier because of not having it.

but I do know my 2001 Mustang GT and 2008 Pontiac G8 GT didn't have any sort of motor sound apparatus like that and they both sounded killer. But different cars/motors/etc so who knows-just gotta demo it without the tube to see if I stil like it. Sounds like most people don’t think it adds a ton to the equation. If that’s the case, I’m kinda surprised Ford would add this sort of expense to their manufacturing process.
Thats a good plan; to make sure that you like the result. I suggest disconnecting it at the intake tube and capping the open connection rather than pulling it from the firewall to see how it sounds in the cabin. The sound tube is secured to the firewall by a screw that's almost impossible to remove, so when you pull the tube sharply, it pops off of that screw, leaving it behind. Re-attaching it would be difficult.

My impression of the change in cabin sound was that the engine/exhaust related sounds seem to come more from the rear, almost like changing the fader on the stereo. I can't say that the volume of the exhaust sound was much different.

I agree with others that the sound tube is in the way when pulling the dipstick to check oil level and its removal makes checking the oil easier.

moosestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Vert
There is another alternative: Your can buy an "irrigation valve" from Amazon. It's about an inch diameter ball valve. Cut the tubing near the air box and insert the valve. You can then shut it on or off. Search the forum for sound tube and you should find more info.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Also, does the sound tube have any sort of actuator that increases or decreases the sound tube effect depending on the exhaust mode (if you have an active exhaust car)?
Picture of the plug in the firewall. There’s one 10mm nut that is really hard to get to. Give the sound tube a good tug and it will pull right over that nut.

IMG_1936.jpeg

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

It has zero effect on the actual exhaust sound, I can promise you that. I honestly didn’t notice any difference in cabin sound after removal, I just wanted to clean up the engine bay a bit. It’s already a rats nest and the dipstick is easier to remove with the sound tube gone.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It has zero effect on the actual exhaust sound, I can promise you that. I honestly didn’t notice any difference in cabin sound after removal, I just wanted to clean up the engine bay a bit. It’s already a rats nest and the dipstick is easier to remove with the sound tube gone.
I noticed less drone after I removed mine initially, but it makes sense that what was removed had nothing to do with the exhaust drone, but rather just another pressure wave being added on top of it.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Also, does the sound tube have any sort of actuator that increases or decreases the sound tube effect depending on the exhaust mode (if you have an active exhaust car)?
No, it's just a simple resonator with a diaphragm. It's not controlled in any way by the ECU; has no way of knowing which drive mode or exhaust mode you're in.

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
Picture of the plug in the firewall. There’s one 10mm nut that is really hard to get to. Give the sound tube a good tug and it will pull right over that nut.

IMG_1936.jpeg
from the picture, it doesn’t look like you have the struts tower brace. Cars that have The struts tower braces sit right on top prevent the dipstick pulling out and straight up. That is a bad design in my opinion. Also, the at transmission checking and adding transmission oil is another stupid design.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
from the picture, it doesn’t look like you have the struts tower brace. Cars that have The struts tower braces sit right on top prevent the dipstick pulling out and straight up. That is a bad design in my opinion. Also, the at transmission checking and adding transmission oil is another stupid design.
I do have the strut tower brace. Dipstick is a bit of a pain but easier with the sound tube gone

IMG_2148.jpeg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The secret is to just pull it towards the airbox. I wish it was in a different position entirely, but I suppose to be fair to Ford, the vast majority of cars don't have the performance pack and checking the oil is easy.

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
I do have the strut tower brace. Dipstick is a bit of a pain but easier with the sound tube gone

IMG_2148.jpeg
That’s also what I was thinking. Easier to check the oil without the sound tube in the way.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I came here to say this exactly.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Yep i love to hear the engine sucking that air. Normally exhaust on the Mach 1 overpowers it so it’s never been an issue infact I enjoy it if I can hear it. If it was a stupid speaker pumping sound it then it would piss me off.
The Mach 1 doesn't have a sound tube
Sponsored