Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
that is so insane it deserves only mockery and derision.
i will, however, say that you're making the common NPC mistake of conflating lawful with legal.

justice actually exists and it is not defined by the united states government.
Posts like this and the one @FIMT has since deleted remind me of a guy I work with who has similar views on the government.

We were discussing motorcycles and he said these guys riding without full leather are just stupid, you can't ride in shorts and no helmet and expect to walk away from a crash. He never starts the bike without a helmet. I said OK but what if Pennsylvania made helmets mandatory? He said then I'd stop wearing one if the government said I had to. And he was dead serious. :facepalm:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/images/olls/crs2021-title-42.pdf

Colorado Title 42, 42-4-1105, page 519-521 of 821.

Regarding the definition of speed and racing, CO defines it at the state level with the text cited above.

https://leg.colorado.gov/content/penalties-speeding-violations

Penalties for speed-only offenses (42-4-1701) noted above.

There are 20,000 incorporated areas (cities/towns), 3,000+ counties and 50 states, all of which have different laws on this topic.

Along with the law, Law Enforcement (in my area anyway) has a certain amount of discretion as to how to cite something. It depends. Too many variables to list here. But I have confirmed that, once certain parameters are tripped, they cite/arrest/whatever you want to call it, to the full extent of the law.

Your state codes and laws should be readily available on-line for research and insight.

Edit:

CO accident information, allowing anyone to drill-down by accident type and contributing factors.

https://www.codot.gov/safety/traffic-safety/data-analysis/crash-data

Crashes involving "racing" only (racing being the only factor specified): 20+ this year, 100+ since 2010.

Deaths resulting from "racing" this year: 0, two since 2010.

I don't list those statistics with enthusiasm. I was just curious what the numbers were.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Except using the 130mph example from earlier (or any triple digit speed). Here that is reckless driving
When it rises to reckless it becomes a crime. Now what about all the people using dragy's running 60 to 130?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
When it rises to reckless it becomes a crime. Now what about all the people using dragy's running 60 to 130?
If theyā€™re caught on public roads and they hit the threshold for reckless, I think itā€™s pretty obvious. Out on a track or a private space (thereā€™s a few old, private airports around that people rent for such things) then youā€™re all good.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I contend that 130 in a modern car with zero traffic is not reckless. EDIT, depending on the road, I'm thinking multi lane limited access roads.

If you look at Montana when they had no speed limit the accident and death rate went down. After the Feds blackmailed them into reinstating a speed limit accidents and deaths went up.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
i'll do this once and if you still don't get it i can't help you.

the statement "no victim = no crime" is obviously not a descriptive statement of the american legal system, as your vacuous retort would imply. anyone with a few brain cells to rub together can recognize that.

it is a PRESCRIPTIVE statement, an ought, in direct conflict with the injustice system that currently tramples rights routinely because most people just want to feel safe instead of be responsible with liberty.

there are many "laws" you assume keep you safe when in reality they cost lives every day.

i'm in opposition to precrime, that's what sending humans to live in cages for harming no one is... precrime.
Well, like it or not, that is the way our current justice system works. Want it to change? Run for office locally or nationally and fix it. Or put a group together and lobby your elected officials. Or give your legislators a call or send them an email. There are ways to fix it. Giving them the middle finger and doing whatever you want is not the way.

I donā€™t agree with every law (or application of law) here in IL. I donā€™t just go do whatever I want though, I talk to my local officials or send them emails. If enough people actually took the time to do so, it might actually bring real reform.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I contend that 130 in a modern car with zero traffic is not reckless. EDIT, depending on the road, I'm thinking multi lane limited access roads.

If you look at Montana when they had no speed limit the accident and death rate went down. After the Feds blackmailed them into reinstating a speed limit accidents and deaths went up.
It very well may not be reckless in certain real world situations but as the laws are currently written (at least here in IL, they will be different in each state), exceeding the posted speed limit by a certain amount will get you a reckless charge. Triple digit speeds here will land you that charge every time.

As we all probably recognize, a lot of laws donā€™t fully account for reality (right or wrong). Unless people actually take the time to talk to their legislators, it wonā€™t change. The example you mention above is a perfect example of real world data that could be presented to legislators to bring about change if enough people believe itā€™s warranted. Unfortunately not enough people actually take the time to do so. So then we all end up here going back and forth about it. šŸ˜‰

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Well, like it or not, that is the way our current justice system works. Want it to change? Run for office locally or nationally and fix it. Or put a group together and lobby your elected officials. Or give your legislators a call or send them an email. There are ways to fix it. Giving them the middle finger and doing whatever you want is not the way.
you are wrong. that is exactly how things change. ever heard of weed? what about the civil rights movement? prohibition?

its called civil disobedience and NPC's that come in with "achtually ziss is ze law!" are proving how addicted to the matrix they are.

there are 2 kinds of people now. those that wore masks and thos that didn't.
i bet you got one for every day of the week still.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
you are wrong. that is exactly how things change. ever heard of weed? what about the civil rights movement? prohibition?

its called civil disobedience and NPC's that come in with "achtually ziss is ze law!" are proving how addicted to the matrix they are.

...aaaaaand there it is. Who couldn't see a post like this coming.

NPC. LOL. How about, some people independently evaluate a law and decide they agree with it.

Well it doesn't happen often, but you've made it to my "ignore" list.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
...aaaaaand there it is. Who couldn't see a post like this coming.

NPC. LOL. How about, some people independently evaluate a law and decide they agree with it.

Well it doesn't happen often, but you've made it to my "ignore" list.
Sorry Mike, we totally ran your thread off the rails.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Sorry Mike, we totally ran your thread off the rails.
Based on the topic, I pretty much expected this to happen eventually.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

I do agree civil disobedience is a powerful tool when used properly. It was absolutely necessary for the civil rights movement, thatā€™s basic human rights that were at stake. Weā€™re talking speed limits and street racing here

Weed, come on. You really think civil disobedience led to legalization of marijuana in certain states? The states saw an opportunity for increased tax revenue along with a heavy lobbying effort. Joe Blow smoking a doob in his car had little to do with it considering people have been smoking weed for a long ass time. Follow the money on that one.

And your last comment is comical. Iā€™m glad you think you know a complete stranger on the internet. Assume whatever you want about me, I couldnā€™t care less.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
I do agree civil disobedience is a powerful tool when used properly. It was absolutely necessary for the civil rights movement, thatā€™s basic human rights that were at stake. Weā€™re talking speed limits and street racing here

Weed, come on. You really think civil disobedience led to legalization of marijuana in certain states? The states saw an opportunity for increased tax revenue along with a heavy lobbying effort. Joe Blow smoking a doob in his car had little to do with it considering people have been smoking weed for a long ass time. Follow the money on that one.

And your last comment is comical. Iā€™m glad you think you know a complete stranger on the internet. Assume whatever you want about me, I couldnā€™t care less.
you think weed and alcohol being legal basically everywhere came about because a politician decided or because the overwhelming rejection of the insane "laws" that say those things are unlawful?

the main driver for legal change is people resisting unlawful ordinances... or do you think we asked permission to be independent from the british?

true justice is heavy penalties for heavy crimes against actual victims and leaving people alone if they're hurting no one. justifying precrime convictions is the problem. that's bad, don't do that.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
you think weed and alcohol being legal basically everywhere came about because a politician decided or because the overwhelming rejection of the insane "laws" that say those things are unlawful?
In those particular instances, I would say the main driver is $$$. Tax revenue does wonders to change politicians viewpoints on thingsā€¦

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
It's especially bad now that your car narcs on you, I just ticked over 25k miles and I received an email stating "based on your current estimated miles of 25,101, you are due for a service appointment"...

Estimated my ass, that was spot on. And if the computer is reporting your miles it's not much of a stretch to assume it's sending speed data as well.
speed data is meaningless without location and driver data.
Sponsored