Sponsored

Acceleration test (poor mans dyno lol) of multiple tunes was interesting.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I had some spare time this weekend and thought I would try some tune testing. I have a stock 16 gt. For the stock and X4 preloaded tune I used the stock air box. For the VMP and PBD testing I used a 18 air box and tube since the tunes were made it. I first got the VMP tune and thought is was pretty good especially the trans tuning but sort of felt soft. I then bought a PBD tune. In between I tried the 93 preloaded tune and thought it was pretty darn good. I also have a 19 active exhaust that is manually controlled to open and close. So I tested that out also. I have a decent stretch to do this and I would go WOT at about 2700 rpm in 3rd. I just didn't feel comfortable getting to 7000 rpm some runs which is 100 mph anyway. I datalogged with Livewire and just copied the data from 3000 rpm to excel to create the charts.

The black line is PBD base tune and it felt a little soft and it was.
Dark blue was VMP and they did not require a base then final tune. Said first tune is goods to go.
Gray, yellow and orange were identical which were stock, preloaded and PBD final tune
These were all done with the muffler flaps closed which is probably like my stock 15 exhaust.
I then opened the flaps
Green was PBD final tune which was a bit stronger
Blue was the 93 preloaded tune which honestly did feel the best. Looked softer from 2700 to 3000 then the others though.

So, interesting to see the open exhaust did help a bit. Also pretty interesting that the stock tune flat out is about the same as other tunes. The other tunes especially PBD has a very responsive throttle and very aggressive shifting which certainly adds to the driving experience though. VMP and PBD had very litle knock but Preloaded tune had none. It was a fun little experiment. So up to 6500 the 18 airbox didn't do anything. It was amazing that stock, preloaded and pbd were practically identical charts. From closed exhaust VMP to open preloaded 93, it was .9 seconds faster.

chart rpm.jpg
Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I was under the impression with valves closed at wot they open slightly to help with backpressure. Not stating fact just that's what I heard.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yeah I think they do on the true active exhaust. Since mine are retrofitted to the 16 I needed to install simple open close button.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
A difference Spark advance between the 2 calibrations is the key here......

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Also. Purchase a Dragy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yeah, I was thinking about a draggy. But I had a couple spare hours on Sunday and just wanted to experiment. Since I will not do much modding anytime soon I don't know if I would use a draggy that much anymore. It has to be more convienient though. I do want to make a couple more charts to see the differences. Spark is next. I briefly looked at AFR and see stock tune got pretty rich at redline. Stock also had very high negative knock values. I was surprised to see the Preloaded tune ran the strongest and had no positive knock.

I sort of like the Preloaded tune tramsmission tuning the best also. Seems like pretty much stock parameters without the extra rev up on down shifts. PBD is agressive. They did revise it lower pressures but still 1-2 and 2-3 would lunge. I adjusted them down a -20 pressure which is just about right now. But the Drive mode is extra soft now. The other annoyance is I'll give a little extra part throttle, it downshifts then almost instantly upshifts again. Not all the time but more then I like. Maybe it will still learn.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, I was thinking about a draggy. But I had a couple spare hours on Sunday and just wanted to experiment. Since I will not do much modding anytime soon I don't know if I would use a draggy that much anymore. It has to be more convienient though. I do want to make a couple more charts to see the differences. Spark is next. I briefly looked at AFR and see stock tune got pretty rich at redline. Stock also had very high negative knock values. I was surprised to see the Preloaded tune ran the strongest and had no positive knock.

I sort of like the Preloaded tune tramsmission tuning the best also. Seems like pretty much stock parameters without the extra rev up on down shifts. PBD is agressive. They did revise it lower pressures but still 1-2 and 2-3 would lunge. I adjusted them down a -20 pressure which is just about right now. But the Drive mode is extra soft now. The other annoyance is I'll give a little extra part throttle, it downshifts then almost instantly upshifts again. Not all the time but more then I like. Maybe it will still learn.
The tunes I have from Rob have the tranny setup for aggressive in D mode, which I don’t care for. Shifting schedule is still factory, so upshifts to 6th still happen before 50mph when driving normal.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I charted the spark. VMP and PBD look very similar except VMP starts off a bit low. Stock and Preloaded are lower a little I see too. I see why stock probably didn't have any knock detected. I guess the really only other parameters that could make a difference are the AFR and VVtiming.

spark.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Track addict is free, you don't need draggy.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Track addict is free, you don't need draggy.
Track addict doesn’t use 10mhz refresh rate. Therefore accuracy is moot.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Does Dragy allow the download and overlaying of charts? Other then taking the computer out into the car ride, extracting the data and putting excel isn't too bad.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Interesting info. I've got an SCT X4 coming tomorrow, going to log and send it to Shaun at AED in Cali for some remote tuning. I've been happy with the off the shelf Lund too.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I missed out on giving Lund a try once they don't tune with the SCT anymore. I was really set on AED but got a little concerned on his one reply that he doesn't adjust for custom driver feel. So I wasn't sure if that meant trans adjustments if I wanted. Power wise I'm sure they are all real close. I am a little surprised VMP to be a bit lower though. II really wish I could do E85. I really would like better torque.

Do you have any mod or are you stock?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I was really set on AED but got a little concerned on his one reply that he doesn't adjust for custom driver feel.
Nor does he make tune adjustments for significant deficiencies in his tuning that you can repeat and log with ease. 100% would not spend more money there. I don't care if I'm 5 whp down.

NotQuiteAverageJoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I'm not sure if I like my tune from VMP. It has a really early shift from second to third which just feels a little weird, but it also has just the right amount of crackling on decel. I have an SCT and was about 2 months late to the ngauge Lund tune party (I went with exhaust first before tune) :(.
Sponsored