Need Help On engine coolant

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I don’t know why they call it yellow, as supplied by ford it looks green to me ... ?

View attachment 532316
4-FBFFA59-EC80-4-EC9-942-D-1639-C3160-EB9.jpg

WD :like:
I cant speak for fords logic (or lack thereof)..but my guess

1) they already have two IAT coolants that are green/labeled as green (premium and specialty green respectively, is speciality green IAT too? idk tbh.), they don't want to release a new OAT that is also named some sort of green as that may be even more confusing than the current situation, and might lead to people mixing OAT and IAT coolants and having an issue.

2) from what I've seen, orange, yellow, and green are also common colors for OAT coolants, they didn't want to bring another orange color in to replace the outgoing orange, maybe? and there is an HOAT (gold) coolant that is already yellow in color.

So MAYBE, they named a "green" coolant Yellow as an OAT to minimize confusion? I think any way they went with it, it was going to be confusing though. Unless they went with a purple color like some brands do.

This is from my limited knowledge and trying to make sense of it. lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jaay_d5.0

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
I went to ford to get some info basically they said we shouldn’t mix them but i should go to autozone and get a brand that equivalent to the one as the ford motorcraft one do any of you guys know of a brand that works the same? For the orange one

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Just get a name brand universal, or flush it and replace with the yellow.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I went to ford to get some info basically they said we shouldn’t mix them but i should go to autozone and get a brand that equivalent to the one as the ford motorcraft one do any of you guys know of a brand that works the same? For the orange one
Ford service techs don't know anything. My local one didn't even know yellow was a thing.

Anyways, ford orange is dexcool. Autozone should have that.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They're wrong. See the attached PDF.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 16.06.12.png

Attachments

Sponsored

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This may help understand the ford coolants and compatibility

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
My 2019 came low as many have noted and its below the minimum now. I bought the new yellow premixed and the Ford dealer checked it with my VIN and said it is correct. Of course I have orange in there currently so it may test my OCD lol.

I assume i can just add it to the overflow bottle while the car is cold to midway between the min and max and thats it?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Top it off to max. And you'll need to do it again at least once more, so keep an eye on it often until level stabilizes.

OP
OP
Jaay_d5.0

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Do you guys know of the consequences for leaving your engine coolant below minimum

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you guys know of the consequences for leaving your engine coolant below minimum
There's a 'min' level for a reason. If it's a tad lower, no issues. But if it's significantly lower, your cooling system could suck air, instead of coolant. So just top it off immediately. If there's air in the system, you'll have to keep an eye on coolant level, and top off as needed, until system fully stabilizes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jaay_d5.0

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
There's a 'min' level for a reason. If it's a tad lower, no issues. But if it's significantly lower, your cooling system could suck air, instead of coolant. So just top it off immediately. If there's air in the system, you'll have to keep an eye on coolant level, and top off as needed, until system fully stabilizes.
Thanks man dealership ended up having an extra orange coolant concentrated in there shelf so they gave me one i mix it with distilled water hoping it fix my stalling issues after getting my cam phasers replaced ! But is mixing distilled water with coolant bad? It says in the directions to do so with the orange. But articles on the internet says it bad for any car?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man dealership ended up having an extra orange coolant concentrated in there shelf so they gave me one i mix it with distilled water hoping it fix my stalling issues after getting my cam phasers replaced ! But is mixing distilled water with coolant bad? It says in the directions to do so with the orange. But articles on the internet says it bad for any car?
If Ford say to mix it then how can that be bad ? :like:

I topped mine off today with some Mountain Dew ... lol

2-CB8-B473-2799-4-BEC-A77-B-4-FFB6527-DB3-E.jpg

It had done the initial drop from new, took around 350 ml to get it up to max on a cold engine.

Whilst I was at it, I took the opportunity to swap out the factory bolts :

0-ED12443-1-D54-4-F03-A1-BA-9-DC8-C421-EEF0.jpg

To something with a bit more colour to match the coolant and the paintwork (and straighten the mounts / neaten the plastic) :

9-FBE3-C1-B-0142-43-EC-AD41-580080-D8372-E.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If Ford say to mix it then how can that be bad ? :like:

I topped mine off today with some Mountain Dew ... lol

It had done the initial drop from new, took around 350 ml to get it up to max on a cold engine.

Whilst I was at it, I took the opportunity to swap out the factory bolts :

To something with a bit more colour to match the coolant and the paintwork (and straighten the mounts / neaten the plastic) :

You need one of these in Lime!

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5049

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
But is mixing distilled water with coolant bad?
No. That's exactly what you need to use, so you're good. But it's more convenient to buy the 50/50 pre-mixed jugs, so keep that in mind for the future.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase