Sponsored

Streetable Roll Bar Recommendations - Watson v Cooltech v CMS v ???

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
So I've been searching every roll bar thread I can find on the forums. Many of them dead for a while, and somewhat incomplete on the discussion. Rather than revive every one of those separately, I thought it might be more practical to start a new thread that includes everything available as of today.

For me, this is a bit of a street/track tradeoff. I need something that won't be in the way while street-driven, and won't interfere with the OEM front seatbelts. I'm also looking for full seat travel, and hoping that won't mean the bar would turn into a "head knocker".
EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm not suggesting a roll bar for a 100% street car. I mean street driven with HPDE and/or track-day use thrown in. The perfect solution would pass tech with flying colors.

I've listed the options that I've found in my searches in the title.

Have one of the bars listed? Know about one I missed? Please come in and share your thoughts on pro/con and fitment!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
I ordered the Competition Motorsports bar today, in Lead Foot Gray to match the car. I’ll have feedback once installed. Vorshlag has a kit being released very soon, but when I spoke with them a few weeks ago they didn’t have an ETA.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
CMS rollbar in shadow black. Using split collars instead of a loop. It wasn’t the best installation ever, but no complaints on the streetability. With Sparco ergo 2 seats, it’s about 4-6” between bar and seat and a slight upward angle. I can’t say the seats dont impair rear vision, but the bar is invisible.

F9CC11B8-4B82-44D4-AEB8-C4783E9EBB0F.jpeg
D3457895-A038-4EE9-9DB0-12D59D31B23E.jpeg

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
Regarding your CMS bar install....
Those guys told me that they’ve experienced a wide range of manufacturing tolerances with the floor of the Mustangs, relative to the other bars they build (Porsche, BMW). It can make the install tricky because the bar is built on a jig that allows for less manufacturing tolerance than the Ford floors. Did you experience any of this?

OP
OP
ZX3ST

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I can’t say the seats dont impair rear vision, but the bar is invisible.
Thanks. These are exactly the kinds of details that I haven't seen discussed previously.

Any closer pics of where the rears bolt up?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Last edited:

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding your CMS bar install....
Those guys told me that they’ve experienced a wide range of manufacturing tolerances with the floor of the Mustangs, relative to the other bars they build (Porsche, BMW). It can make the install tricky because the bar is built on a jig that allows for less manufacturing tolerance than the Ford floors. Did you experience any of this?
Yes. But for every machinist that says a Mustang is out of tolerance, I'll find you a tech that says it should have slotted the holes and been designed better. I had mine installed by Winding Road Racing in Austin, and they had exactly that complaint.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
CMS here also. Haven't installed it yet since I'm waiting for spring, but the finish and communication was great.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have a Watson in my car. I install/remove before/after each track day. It's not too big a deal in my opinion to do that. I definitely drive as little as possible on the street with the roll bar in there. The seats don't go back/recline to my normal driving position with the Watson roll bar installed. It's fine on track because then I have the seat more upright and farther forward, but I don't find that driving position to be comfortable for normal street driving.

OP
OP
ZX3ST

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I went with Watson. Here are my install notes...…

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/watson-4-point-roll-cage-installed-in-hr361.93015/

And no, we don't need to resurrect a bunch of old threads, it's called a search, try it sometime.
Thanks. Yours is one of several threads I found while "trying out" the search function, which I specifically addressed in my first post. Of the several Watson threads I came upon, yours was the most helpful and detailed from an installation perspective.

I created this thread to compare options that are available as of January 2019. At least one of which wasn't available until almost a year after your Watson install.

This discussion was also intended to talk about the final fitment and user opinions, rather than the process to get there. For example, "I've had XX for a year and decided I don't like it" or "XX bar failed tech and here's the details why".

So I'm sorry if I broke an unwritten rule around here. Apparently I struck a nerve if you found the need to edit in a snide comment several hours later.

Sponsored

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
I went back and forth between Watson and CMS. Choose CMS based on there design, color options and install.

Mine has there previous harness loops (more of a round bar style) compared to there new style as shown below in gray.

I will be installing another CMS bar in a buddies 350 this summer which will determine any manufacturing tolerances between them.

CMS fit and finish was great, no issues with seat travel with the stock Recaros.
20181013_142934.jpg
20181014_203257.jpg
20181014_203333.jpg
GT350_Roll_Bar_Avalanche_Gray_1.jpg
GT350_Roll_Bar_Avalanche_Gray_2.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks. Yours is one of several threads I found while "trying out" the search function, which I specifically addressed in my first post. Of the several Watson threads I came upon, yours was the most helpful and detailed from an installation perspective.

I created this thread to compare options that are available as of January 2019. At least one of which wasn't available until almost a year after your Watson install.

This discussion was also intended to talk about the final fitment and user opinions, rather than the process to get there. For example, "I've had XX for a year and decided I don't like it" or "XX bar failed tech and here's the details why".

So I'm sorry if I broke an unwritten rule around here. Apparently I struck a nerve if you found the need to edit in a snide comment several hours later.
Thank you for your valued and informed opinion based upon a whopping 39 posts.

Best of luck to you newb.

OP
OP
ZX3ST

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I went back and forth between Watson and CMS. Choose CMS based on there design, color options and install.

Mine has there previous harness loops (more of a round bar style) compared to there new style as shown below in gray.

I will be installing another CMS bar in a buddies 350 this summer which will determine any manufacturing tolerances between them.

CMS fit and finish was great, no issues with seat travel with the stock Recaros.
That looks really nice. Are you running a rear seat delete with that, or left it bare?

OP
OP
ZX3ST

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have a Watson in my car. I install/remove before/after each track day. It's not too big a deal in my opinion to do that. I definitely drive as little as possible on the street with the roll bar in there. The seats don't go back/recline to my normal driving position with the Watson roll bar installed. It's fine on track because then I have the seat more upright and farther forward, but I don't find that driving position to be comfortable for normal street driving.
Whoa nelly. How long does it take to go back and forth like that?
Sponsored