Sponsored

2018 PP vs non-PP

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Long story short, my 18 GT needed an O2 sensor after a CEL light, and the dealer asked specifically if I ever did a tune after fumbling around under the hood for 2 weeks. Well, no, I didn't the car's only a few months old. So I'm glad I didn't tune, and didn't give Ford any excuse to deny my claim or drag their feet even more than they did.

So I'm tabling my ideas for power mods for a while. Actually the car is great stock, with 18's and everything.

But all the mags and drag runs you see are done with a Performance Pack Mustang: big wheels, magneride, 3.73 rear, six piston brakes and all that.

How much am I really leaving on the table driving a base GT?

So the versus is a stock 2018 GT vs a stock PP1 or PP2. What's the actual difference in quarter mile. What's the actual difference in seconds at VIR or Buttonwillow? How will the 4 piston stock brake pads compare to the Brembos?

Anybody actualy done this or can make educated guesses? And how much can a non-PP make up the difference solely through changing wheel and tire and brake pads, which don't raise dealer red flags?
Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Straight line will be a wash if both are automatic. Road course will go to the performance pack everytime. Brake pads will probably not do much. The PP car comes with Michelin PS4S. So, I don't think a tire will do it.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think an important question would be, how much are you leaving that you'll actually notice? Depending on what you're doing with it, you may not notice the differences, and if you are going to mod, it may not make much difference anyway. Magneride is something you can't get with a mod, but I think just about everything else could be upgraded with aftermarket gear.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I have a pp1 a10. My car puts the power down on the street really well. I hear non pp cars tend to have more axle hop on the launch low speed wot stuff. The brembo’s are outstanding imo. It came down to only 2 must haves for 18 mustang. Performance pack and A10.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
I had a 2018 PP1 A10 with everything, magna ride, active exhaust, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruse, every option. I now have a 2019 GTCS with everything except PP1 and magna ride. I think my GTCS rides better. Have not taken it to the track yet for a base line, but it makes 20 more HP then my 2018 PP1 car did.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I had a 2018 PP1 A10 with everything, magna ride, active exhaust, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruse, every option. I now have a 2019 GTCS with everything except PP1 and magna ride. I think my GTCS rides better. Have not taken it to the track yet for a base line, but it makes 20 more HP then my 2018 PP1 car did.
So this is the first time seeing someone say a non magneride car rides better than a magneride car.....Is it the PP1 that possibly made the ride more harsh?

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
So this is the first time seeing someone say a non magneride car rides better than a magneride car.....Is it the PP1 that possibly made the ride more harsh?
I actually liked the tires that come with the PP1 better then the Pirelli's that come on the non PP1. The Michelin's are a superior tire in my opinion. Less road noise and better handling. But the magneride gives a harder, firmer ride in my opinion which is exactly what its designed for. I feel the standard mustang suspension is the perfect blend of performance handling and comfort.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
How does your 2019 have 20 more horsepower? I thought the Cali Special was just an appearance package.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
A magna ride pp1 should ride smoother than non magna pp1. Standard suspension will of course be softer ride...That is the point of active dampers. My non magna pp1 does ride really well imo. The front sway bar looks like it’s 1.75 inch thick. Lol.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
How does your 2019 have 20 more horsepower? I thought the Cali Special was just an appearance package.
Sorry, my 2019 made 14 more HP then my 2018 PP1 car. I'm pretty sure the 2018 was a dud. The 2018 GT PP1 made 383/376 through the A10. My 2019 made 397/376 through the A10 on the same dyno. The GTCS is just appearance.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually liked the tires that come with the PP1 better then the Pirelli's that come on the non PP1. The Michelin's are a superior tire in my opinion. Less road noise and better handling. But the magneride gives a harder, firmer ride in my opinion which is exactly what its designed for. I feel the standard mustang suspension is the perfect blend of performance handling and comfort.
A magna ride pp1 should ride smoother than non magna pp1. Standard suspension will of course be softer ride...That is the point of active dampers. My non magna pp1 does ride really well imo. The front sway bar looks like it’s 1.75 inch thick. Lol.
That is my impression also which is why it confused me to hear otherwise. Normal mode in magneride I thought was supposed to be softer than normal mode in non magneride. If this is not the case many people could have saved lots of money not having to buy PP1 which is required for magneride.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
The base suspension is softer than the MR PP1 and the MR PP1 is softer than the non-MR PP1 in normal mode. I've driven them all back to back and PP1 A10 was a must but I ordered the MR due to the non-MR being too harsh for long road trips.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The base suspension is softer than the MR PP1 and the MR PP1 is softer than the non-MR PP1 in normal mode. I've driven them all back to back and PP1 A10 was a must but I ordered the MR due to the non-MR being too harsh for long road trips.
Can anyone else confirm this? I was going to get an A10 with PP1 and MR because I was under the impression as a daily driver this would be the nicest ride.

This seems to suggest a non pp1/mr would be even nicer as a daily.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I have put 3700 miles on pp1 a10 and do not feel it is harsh nor bouncy. Not driving down pot hole infested streets either. Honestly does not feel a lot different than a VW GTI I drove ride wise for 17k miles. Jmo.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have put 3700 miles on pp1 a10 and do not feel it is harsh nor bouncy. Not driving down pot hole infested streets either. Honestly does not feel a lot different than a VW GTI I drove ride wise for 17k miles. Jmo.
So theoretically the MR would be even better then. :)

Roads around here can be terrible.
Sponsored