Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Yep, low acceleration ticking. Really noticeable against walls etc. Find it strange and exhaust leak would show up after an oil change. Should be there regardless. I went down this thought process as well.
Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Oh man! In a way im glad to know its the dreaded "BBQ Tick". If i removed my headers and found out the problem was still there i would be super depressed. I'm still annoyed at the sound for sure but at least i didnt waste $500.
Thanks for the info. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if Ford finally figures it out. My car has too many mods to even try visiting the dealer.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Jaruki, yours sounds a little different than the one i had. There was another fella' on here with a user name Rubyred who had an issue that was tied to the throttle position. As he gave it more gas and increased the RPMs it just got louder and louder.

The BBQ i had was very random, like pop rocks going off under your car.

Removing your headers probably wont help you much as itll just get louder and trying to hear the issue would almost be impossible. Plus, your A/F Ratio would be bonkers, probably not a good idea.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Mine gets doesnt necessarily get louder with rpms just more frequent until i get over 2k rpms and it dissapears or maybe its the engine/exhaust sound taking over. It also doest it while idling but very rarely.
Anyways, car is running stronger than ever just sounds like a old POS at low speeds lol. I will try a different oil next time to see if it makes a difference.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
prob not BBQ tick if its consistent. prob a spun bearing or something

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
My car sounds just like the videos posted in this thread so i doubt its a spun bearing.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Oddly if I turned on the AC it got worse reving in neutral up to 2k. Try throwing your AC on see if its like mine. I have a tune sitting on the shelf for over a year never installed because of things like this. I'm driving the living shit out of it, hopefully something gives.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
strange tick noises like these usually means there's something internal, like a bearing. if you do some light searching on the net, you'll see that even some BBQ tick intermittent noises where the root cause is a spun bearing.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I had this sound on mine. It started happening right around the 1st oil change, but not sure if it was right after since I randomly noticed it while against a barrier one day. I couldn't unhear it and the dealer techs said it was not reproducible even though the first tech I talked to when I brought it in heard it clearly.

I got the feeling that they didn't wanna fix it.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Im sure it is not a spun bearing that coincidentally starts right after an oil change. My ticking started immediately after my third oil change.
Im happy to report, 500 miles after my oil change, my ticking is gone! My car is back to sounding like a healthy beast :D

Sponsored
OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Itll come back at the next oil change, sadly. Consider running a heavier weight oil some have had success with that.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
sounds like a slightly out of spec bearing that makes noise when starved of oil, and goes away when it gets a sufficient amount of oil buildup in the area

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I think it's a good idea to make a sticky thread. Document which model years and what transmission had the tick. If the bearings start going in the engine, it could be good ammo against ford.

Oscifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I developed this issue on my 2017 prior to my first oil change at around 2000 miles. The sound was identical to other videos posted in this thread and would get worse at idle with the A/C on etc... I changed the oil at 3400 miles and it became much more noticeable. I finally decided to take it into the dealer at 3800 miles. I filmed this inside of my garage right before driving to the dealership.

[ame]

The service advisor told me over the phone that they found rod bearing and cylinder wall damage and ordered a new short block. The invoice from when I picked it up read

Verified concern and could hear noise in the engine. Checked codes and found no codes present. Checked power balance and relative compression. Normal readings found. With listening device isolated to cylinder #3. Monitored PIDS and canceled cylinders. Noise got louder with #3 disabled. Removed #3 spark plug and could see damage to the cylinder wall. Removed the valve cover to inspect the valve train. No damage found to the valve train. Performed cost cap. Removed the engine assembly replaced the short block and necessary gaskets to work shop manual.....
I have a few days and about a hundred miles on the new bottom end and so far so good. Also, here is a picture of my oil analysis in case anyone is interested. Hopefully all this info is of use to you guys with similar issues.

23sek9e.jpg

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
^ enough for me to dump this car. Mines not that bad but you mentioning its worse with the AC on is exactly my dilema. Too bad, car shopping next week!
Sponsored