Sponsored

Ford Becomes #2 in JD Power's 2017 Initial Quality; Mustang Takes Top Quality Honors

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
My company has a Ram 1500 for light duty material transport. It has some strange issue where the dash lights will come on randomly and for long enough to drain the battery. I checked the forums and it seems somewhat common. The dealer of course can't replicate it so they wont do anything. It's been to the dealer twice for the same issue.

The truck has 4500 miles.
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
My ex wife CONSTANTLY has issues with her 300.

My father just had his Jeep bought back from Jeep. under 300 miles, 2 transmissions later and the third went into limp mode while still at the dealer. They bought it back and he went straight over and ordered a Honda.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

My father just had his Jeep bought back from Jeep. under 300 miles, 2 transmissions later and the third went into limp mode while still at the dealer. They bought it back and he went straight over and ordered a Honda.
I'm surprised the 2015 Renegade I used to have did not have any issues with the transmission. That seems to be the most common. I did not like that transmission at all at lower speeds. It had trouble finding gears a lot and would hang in one gear or go too high in gear and leave you with no power.

Probably one of the pitfalls of having a first year vehicle. :(

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4

2009 Journey. Dodge couldn't replicate problem. He took it to CarMax with full disclosure and they bought it from him for more than he owed. He bought an Infinity G35 Sedan from them the same day.

I used to be a service writer at a local trusted shop here in town. They specialize in computer diagnostics (dealerships would send them trouble cars) and we saw more problems out of Chrysler products than all others combined. Electrical especially. Many times we couldn't get the computers to act right and when we asked dodge for new ones, they would balk and ask us to get them as good as we could. These computers would have serious issues too.... Like not recognizing keys sometimes to randomly shutting off the engine and even turning on lights and wipers for no apparent reason. Body modules would be crap as well.

Never noticed any issues with the Chargers or Challengers though.

Just low end stuff like the Journey, Patriot, Compass, 200, etc.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Fords build quality is so amazing, even the 2018 prototypes are still driving around with misaligned rear windows (just look at the 3rd brake light) :headbonk:

Don't let me start on the really cheap leather seats that are getting rifts and waves on some cars after only a few hundred miles - or the rust on the inside of the hood after a year :shrug:
IMG_9258.jpg

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Someone @ Ford took the bonus money from the Execs and sent it to JD Power for a payoff bump in ratings...

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I didn't say anything about the Mustang or Camaro, I'm talking about Ford as a whole which is what the article is about.
You said: "Ford is almost dead last on vehicle dependability" so I went on the JD Power website and saw that Ford is not almost dead last on dependability.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Look - Ford has major issues right now with build quality, at least on the mustang. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

I'd bet a Big Mac the management changes have something to do with that, and with other build / design issues we don't even know about.

3 model years now .... and nothing significant from Ford. Meanwhile, over at Dodge and Chevy ......

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
You said: "Ford is almost dead last on vehicle dependability" so I went on the JD Power website and saw that Ford is not almost dead last on dependability.

Uh, yeah they are.

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Vehicle-Dependability-Study-(VDS)-by-Make/1881ENG

The only thing worse than Ford is FCA products and Infiniti.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2017-vehicle-dependability-study

The bigger the number, the worse, btw. The link you provided was specifically to compare the Mustang with the Camaro, which are close to each other. But the microcosm is not representative of the macrocosm.

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Personal experience states otherwise. On my 4th lease Ram with zero, and I do mean zero problems. Last 1500, and now current 2500 Ram pulls a 30ft. camper. Wife is on her 3rd Wrangler with only one very minor trim problem. Meanwhile, less than 800 miles on my Mustang with 4 significant paint chips, and a notchy transmission.

Like I said, just my personal experience. I'm sure others have other viewpoints.
I think the key word is lease...

No vehicle is without it's problem/s The Ram is a good truck, very mature, like the Silverado. However it is well due for a replacement. When it comes to capability and durability they don't hold a candle to the F150.

But it is also almost completely new. The New K2XX and DT Ram should keep things very interesting soon.

FCA is is a tough spot, plague with past and some current reliability and perceived quality concerns. However there are certain aspects of vehicles that they far exceed anyone in the industry, to include most high end European brands.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
My old job we had almost exclusively dodge ram trucks. Most were mechanically reliable considering the beatings they got, however all 11 of them started to rust out in the first 6 months. All of them. The interiors were crap, fit and finish crap, and within weeks all got squeeks and rattles. Within a year they were pretty rotted out.

I see great improvements in the S550 vs the S197 in quality, yet i personally think the S197 was a great car. I have put a lot of miles on both but do give the nod to the S550, I personally think its a hell of a car for the price point.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Reliability ratings. Not dead last by any means, but also far from top.
Screenshot_20170623-081656.jpg

GT0038

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT/sold :(

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Look - Ford has major issues right now with build quality, at least on the mustang. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

I'd bet a Big Mac the management changes have something to do with that, and with other build / design issues we don't even know about.

3 model years now .... and nothing significant from Ford. Meanwhile, over at Dodge and Chevy ......
You have an old Mercedes and a flexed Cadillac. Alot less development work, unique tools, unique component validation ect.

Within the first year of production the GT350 was on the scene. The best thing that could happen to the Mustang is a Lincoln on the S550, you would see alot faster progression with two programs benefiting from it especailly one with higher profit margins.
Sponsored