Sponsored

TPMS and New Wheels?

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I had the same problem with my 2015 Focus.

Bought a set of summer wheels and didnt realise about the TPMS... doh!

Cost me €211 for a new set of sensors and for them to be installed.

FWIW, any dealer that charges you to have the sensors paired are taking the piss and they are not a place you should take your car.

My local Ford garage will pair the sensors for free and without appointment (it literally takes 2-3mins to do).

If its the same place you take your car for service etc, I cant believe they would have the cheek to charge you.

PS. I think the TPMS reset in the OBC is with regard to resetting the saved pressure baseline (if that makes sense) rather than learning in new sensors. I.e. if you let air out of all 4 tyres intentionally, you wont receive erroneous warnings.
Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
No, that doesn't make sense. :p

When I swapped mine, the OBC wouldn't display any pressures until I did the reset then they'd work for a few miles before throwing up a warning light/message and losing the pressures again.

After a few resets they finally "took".

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
No, that doesn't make sense. :p

When I swapped mine, the OBC wouldn't display any pressures until I did the reset then they'd work for a few miles before throwing up a warning light/message and losing the pressures again.

After a few resets they finally "took".
But with sensors that had been previously paired with the car?

If they are a new set of sensors, you need to use the learning tool.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
No, brand new, non-Ford ones.
That goes against every thing ive read/experienced with Ford TPMS, but if its working out that way for you :thumbsup:

With our Focus (same system) I tired the OBC reset (a lot!) and it would sometimes disappear for 50-100km before coming back with a warning. I eventually had to use the learning tool.

It would be good if Ford have updated how the system works, as its mental that you need to go to the dealer every time you swap wheels - particularly here in Europe where winter wheels/tyres are more prevalent.

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
That goes against every thing ive read/experienced with Ford TPMS, but if its working out that way for you :thumbsup:

With our Focus (same system) I tired the OBC reset (a lot!) and it would sometimes disappear for 50-100km before coming back with a warning. I eventually had to use the learning tool.

It would be good if Ford have updated how the system works, as its mental that you need to go to the dealer every time you swap wheels - particularly here in Europe where winter wheels/tyres are more prevalent.
Have heard its the same tool that was used on the previous models going back to 05, mind you they were total hell the 05 to 09 as the sensors were on a band around the wheel
most garages would not touch them, was at least 3 hours work, one of the worst ideas Ford has ever had, think i still have the little remote tool somewhere

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
I followed @Centurian007 advice (thanks mate) and can confirm by following the steps below, the car will learn the new TPM sensors.

First, go to menu, find and select 'Driver assist'
[/URL][/IMG]

Then select 'Tyre pressure monitor'
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally select and hold 'OK' to reset new sensors
[/URL][/IMG]

Now, Centurian007 said he had to do this 5 times for the system to learn the new sensors, probably because they are not official ford ones, however I can confirm you'll need to do the routine 5 times even with official ford TPMS. I had too.

Finally, just a reminder to those who want to buy new sensors (either to replace ones on the car that stopped working or for new wheels), don't buy from the states as they are generally of the wrong frequency. Euro Stang work on 433Mhz, which is different to the US ones.

I bought mine through my ford delearship for £96. Might be slightly different now.
[/URL][/IMG]

Elnrgt500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ollie
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have changed my old TPMS sensors as they were the US type to the correct ones UK . I have reset them countless time in the settings menu but it still not showing anything . Everytime I go into tyre pressure setting in menu is just keeps asking me to reset. I have also reset them using the reset tool but they still wont show up in menu . Any ideas folks ?

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
I have changed my old TPMS sensors as they were the US type to the correct ones UK . I have reset them countless time in the settings menu but it still not showing anything . Everytime I go into tyre pressure setting in menu is just keeps asking me to reset. I have also reset them using the reset tool but they still wont show up in menu . Any ideas folks ?
How far you driven?

Elnrgt500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ollie
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
So, Can I transfer the TPMS from my current alloys to the new ones, I'm also using the same rubber on the new alloys regardless? (I assume I can?)

[MENTION=19950]Elnrgt500[/MENTION] about 50miles for calibration IIRC. Just do it all in one sitting, should fix it.

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
So, Can I transfer the TPMS from my current alloys to the new ones, I'm also using the same rubber on the new alloys regardless? (I assume I can?)

[MENTION=19950]Elnrgt500[/MENTION] about 50miles for calibration IIRC. Just do it all in one sitting, should fix it.
If they make it out alive. I think they get damaged most of the time when removed. Just order new ones for peace of mind

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
If the previous US type worked, then surely(shirley) you would have to replace them with US type new ones?

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Keep going. Not sure how far you need to go for them to calibrate. Just know that they need to be driven
when I had a flat battery, it took about 10 miles to re-set and when i had my wheel switched and the battery disconnected, took around 5 miles
Sponsored