Exhaust Advice needed

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can see how the S-Type catback may be too loud for some. If this was my daily driver i think it'd probably get to me over time and would of gone with the Touring. American Muscle was dead on in there review. they advised in there YouTube video it's a possible 4/5 on the wake the neighbors scale.
Best video I've found that gives an idea of the amplitude of the sound of the S-type inside the car in various driving. It sounds great but is pretty present all the time...driving starts at about 5 minutes:

[ame]
Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
i found my s type catback to be perfect with the oem manifolds, once i put headers on it was night and day. its def getting to me and i need to add some sort of resonator

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I haven't read through the entire thread yet, but was wondering which Borla you have? Meaning, there are two Type S versions, the 3in (Borla number 140629BC) and 2.5in (Borla number 140590BC) ones.

I have the 3in Type S and will admit the cabin is loud. The sound is great and when I first go it, it was definitely louder than I thought. My old man is even complaining about the cabin noise too. I installed Dynamat and some sound deadening into the trunk and areas of the center part of the back seat. Didn't do a thing. I am on the fence of pulling the trigger on AWE switchpath in hopes of a little less (just a little bit) cabin noise.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
i have the 3" catback one, and im pretty sure that new magnaflow resonator from cjs will solve my issues..i hope

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Best video I've found that gives an idea of the amplitude of the sound of the S-type inside the car in various driving. It sounds great but is pretty present all the time...driving starts at about 5 minutes:
I watched this video before I bought mine. Really good reference. :D

I bought 2.5in (Borla number 140590BC)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read through the entire thread yet, but was wondering which Borla you have? Meaning, there are two Type S versions, the 3in (Borla number 140629BC) and 2.5in (Borla number 140590BC) ones.

I have the 3in Type S and will admit the cabin is loud. The sound is great and when I first go it, it was definitely louder than I thought. My old man is even complaining about the cabin noise too. I installed Dynamat and some sound deadening into the trunk and areas of the center part of the back seat. Didn't do a thing. I am on the fence of pulling the trigger on AWE switchpath in hopes of a little less (just a little bit) cabin noise.
i Have the Borla S type 2.5 since I am not getting a super charger or anything extreme on this car...I had my performance guy take it out last night and he said somethign is definitely not right with the sound... lots of vibration and resonance going on....

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
i Have the Borla S type 2.5 since I am not getting a super charger or anything extreme on this car...I had my performance guy take it out last night and he said somethign is definitely not right with the sound... lots of vibration and resonance going on....
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh shiet... Well lets see what it is then. Even at 2.5in, I would think it is a little softer tone in the cabin than a 3in. Are you going to look into it or just switch out completely?

I pulled the trigger on the AWE Touring Switchpath. Hoping that the cabin noise will be a little lower.

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Which S-Type do you have? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what other modifications have you made? Intake? Headers?

On a stock setup there should be absolutely zero drone with any of the Borla systems.

Please let me know. If you prefer, you can send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh shiet... Well lets see what it is then. Even at 2.5in, I would think it is a little softer tone in the cabin than a 3in. Are you going to look into it or just switch out completely?

I pulled the trigger on the AWE Touring Switchpath. Hoping that the cabin noise will be a little lower.
I would really like to find out what the problem is and get a "true" baseline for this exhaust to see if I even like it as it is truly supposed to sound. I was beginning to think it was all in my head... but the more I drove it the worse it got and the more unhappy I became.. I had my ride in CHicago for ceramic coating so had to wait until I got back to deal with it... THe guy who rode with me last night has been doing this for years and has worked with every type of exhaust system and he said something is wrong.. he would not be happy with it..I am hoping to get this fixed... if not I am pretty sure I would switch to the corsa sport catback...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Which S-Type do you have? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what other modifications have you made? Intake? Headers?

On a stock setup there should be absolutely zero drone with any of the Borla systems.

Please let me know. If you prefer, you can send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks
Hi David, I will go ahead and email you shortly .. thanks..

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would really like to find out what the problem is and get a "true" baseline for this exhaust to see if I even like it as it is truly supposed to sound. I was beginning to think it was all in my head... but the more I drove it the worse it got and the more unhappy I became.. I had my ride in CHicago for ceramic coating so had to wait until I got back to deal with it... THe guy who rode with me last night has been doing this for years and has worked with every type of exhaust system and he said something is wrong.. he would not be happy with it..I am hoping to get this fixed... if not I am pretty sure I would switch to the corsa sport catback...
I was initially going to do Corsa Sport Catbacks, but backed out and got the Borla. I wanted that low and deep growl of the V8. I got that, but also came with a loud cabin. The sound of the exhaust outside was louder than expected, but that was fine. I feel you on the cabin, but not having the experience of it sound right sucks. It is actually really nice inside the cabin, just loud lol.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Great, thanks.
David,
Just so you know.. I am the one who started this thread, but it seems I have attracted a few other forum members with Borla issues.. so you may be getting responses from different folks...
Lorne

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I was initially going to do Corsa Sport Catbacks, but backed out and got the Borla. I wanted that low and deep growl of the V8. I got that, but also came with a loud cabin. The sound of the exhaust outside was louder than expected, but that was fine. I feel you on the cabin, but not having the experience of it sound right sucks. It is actually really nice inside the cabin, just loud lol.
Have you tried sound dampening in the trunk? I was going to try that initially, but now that we have determined that it is not a volume issue at this point we are going to hold off until we get the sound, tone, resonance and vibration issues figured out... then I may add sound dampening to the base of the trunk underneath spare tire well to just decrease road noise and perhaps take the edge off it necessary....
Sponsored