Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 35 lb/in - Now Available!

Predator-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Are any special tools required to install the Steeda 35# spring?
I recommend using a set of vice grips to lock the inner loops of the oem spring. That will make life easy pulling it out.... the spring... that is.
Sponsored

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I've already taken the OEM spring out. I was wondering about tools for installing the Steeda replacement spring. Thx!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I've already taken the OEM spring out. I was wondering about tools for installing the Steeda replacement spring. Thx!
No tools needed ... the new spring is soft enough to compress with your hands during installation.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
There are some good install videos on YouTUbe ... I will shoot you a p.m.

Best Regards,

TJ

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
No tools needed ... the new spring is soft enough to compress with your hands during installation.
This...easy enough I was able to do it by hand with a bulged disk in my back lol. Took me 30min though to get under the dash :D

Sponsored

CompStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange GT
[MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] I ordered the full assembly, installed it and it became very heavy not just slightly heavier. Looked at the bag and realised it said for GT350. Is there a difference between the 350 set you have and the GT?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] I ordered the full assembly, installed it and it became very heavy not just slightly heavier. Looked at the bag and realised it said for GT350. Is there a difference between the 350 set you have and the GT?
AFAIK, they're the same. Drive it for a few days, you'll get used to it. It's about 30-40% heavier, but still a lot lighter than a lot of the old cars. The feel improvement is completely worth it.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
S550 Clutch Springs

I've removed the OEM clutch spring a while back and really like the feel of the clutch without it. Actually I'd like even a little heavier feel, but that's not possible without changing the clutch - not worth it for me - I only drive it during the warm summer months and don't race it. I ordered the new Steeda spring and will give it a try, but I hope it doesn't lighten up the clutch feel much.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I tried the vice grips method, but it was frustrating, and I never could get it to work. So I just placed a towel over the old spring and pried it sideways with a screwdriver. It let loose with a bang but the towel prevented it from flying out. I replaced both the spring and and the perch with Steeda components. The Steeda just compresses by hand.

I didn't notice any significant increase in clutch pressure. I also installed a clutch pedal extension at the same time, and I'm very pleased with the combination.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay guys..... so I think I have a real easy fix for installation rather then vise grips. All you need to do is take 2 zip ties and put them threw threw the coils. And when you push in the pedal and it's almost fully compressed tighten them up. Evenly spaced apart. Just make sure your using big enough ties. And now you have full control of the spring.

Hope this helps.
Steeda if for hire......... ��
I'm sure the zip tie method would work just fine, except I have a bad back, and I can't spend more than a few minutes under the dash all twisted around. So I took the easy way out prying it out with a screwdriver. The problem is that there is a possibility of breaking the perch when doing that. I didn't break it, but I replaced the perch with the Steeda anyway.

I have found clutch engagement point to be more consistent with the Steeda spring.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
My Steeda spring was delivered today, 10 minute install in my 2 week old 2017 GT. Reading back thru a bunch of old threads on installing it were very helpful, especially on how moving the stock assembly to the right and it will pop off with no damage. That worked for me as well so a big hat tip to those who shared that bit of info. Pleasantly surprised at the difference a spring could make. I can feel the ol' third pedal engage/release now and shift with confidence instead of guessing. Very satisfied with this purchase, a real bang for the buck improvement.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
My Steeda spring was delivered today, 10 minute install in my 2 week old 2017 GT. Reading back thru a bunch of old threads on installing it were very helpful, especially on how moving the stock assembly to the right and it will pop off with no damage. That worked for me as well so a big hat tip to those who shared that bit of info. Pleasantly surprised at the difference a spring could make. I can feel the ol' third pedal engage/release now and shift with confidence instead of guessing. Very satisfied with this purchase, a real bang for the buck improvement.
Great to hear!

We appreciate your feedback & if you need help down the road, don't hesitate to let us know ... we can add more high quality Steeda parts :)

TJ

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I didn't need any tools the second go around for stock or the steeda spring. I can change them in and out within a minute. Wonder if my pedal travel is too far or something.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I first tried the long nose vice grips trick, but I couldn't get them to grab. So I just used a screwdriver to pry the perch and spring sideways. I covered it with a towel so it wouldn't fly out and hit something (or me). I replaced both the perch and spring with the Steeda, although the perch didn't get damaged.

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I have this spring on my car and love it. I was a little worried about it making the clutch a little too heavy for a DD car, but its really not that much heavier, but the feel is amazing. It is so much easier to feel when the clutch is engaging, especially in stop and go traffic going to/from work.

Thanks Steeda!
Sponsored