Sponsored

Engine blew up

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
If using a 50/50 mix the octane increase is similar to E30, correct?
You'll have to check online somewhere. I think it comes down to how much is being sprayed at wot/boost. I would think it would be difficult to come up with an exact octane. All I know is I'm coming from 91 so I'll have a great response!

Kit showed up today. Hopefully get it on this weekend but it's a pretty long install from what I hear.
Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody have an idea of the cost to just replace the rods and pistons. It seems like these are the week links. A good set cost about 1000. If the installing cost would not be too high it would be a lot cheaper then when the motor blows with ruined block and I'm guessing the head too.
That's the problem...tearing an engine completely apart (and putting it back together) is not exactly cheap. :)

Also, to the OP (if you're still around on this thread), did Adam advise you to reinstall your original intercooler? I'm curious, because I don't see how Ford could reasonably deny warranty coverage on a new engine because of an upgraded intercooler. Regardless, I'm glad your car is getting fixed. Best of luck to you.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Also, to the OP (if you're still around on this thread), did Adam advise you to reinstall your original intercooler? I'm curious, because I don't see how Ford could reasonably deny warranty coverage on a new engine because of an upgraded intercooler. Regardless, I'm glad your car is getting fixed. Best of luck to you.
I had my local Ford dealer deny warranty work because my car was "modified". Read my "build page" and shake your head.... really.... said I had "mufflers". Seriously? All I was asking them to do was fix a rattle in the cabin. Went to another dealer and they helped me....

Importance of building a relationship with a dealer.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You'll have to check online somewhere. I think it comes down to how much is being sprayed at wot/boost. I would think it would be difficult to come up with an exact octane. All I know is I'm coming from 91 so I'll have a great response!

Kit showed up today. Hopefully get it on this weekend but it's a pretty long install from what I hear.
Ha, yeah, not only is 91 the best I have, I'm at 6000 feet. I need all the help I can get :eyebulge:

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha, yeah, not only is 91 the best I have, I'm at 6000 feet. I need all the help I can get :eyebulge:
Looks like someone's gonna get hooked on meth huh.

I hear a 50/50 mix of cocaine and water works well too. May be expensive though

Sponsored

whokilledkaji

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
So... what's the general consensus here? Don't run a tune? I ran an unleashed tune on my 2015 Ecoboost for over a year and it was great. I wouldn't say it was aggressive though.

You guys got me nervous about putting a new unleashed tune on my current Ecoboost.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
So... what's the general consensus here? Don't run a tune? I ran an unleashed tune on my 2015 Ecoboost for over a year and it was great. I wouldn't say it was aggressive though.

You guys got me nervous about putting a new unleashed tune on my current Ecoboost.
There are many more tuned EBs running just fine than blown tuned EBs. If you can't afford to replace an engine leave the warranty in place. There was an EB engine on my local Craigslist for 1500 a couple of weeks ago minus the Turbo so you could theoretically pick up a spare engine as a precaution for a really good price as more EB used engines come online.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I have much respect for tuners and how much work goes into programming, but who the heck thought it was a good idea to make a summer and winter tune?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I have much respect for tuners and how much work goes into programming, but who the heck thought it was a good idea to make a summer and winter tune?
LOL right?! Would make spring and fall a real challenge. Let's see we had a run of 70* weather in Maryland in February, switch to the summer tune, wait, not it's March and it's snowing and 20*, back to the winter for a few weeks? month? 2 months?

Sponsored

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang

Its very safe to get a good tune, but 1st everyone needs to be straight with themselves on whether they want it tuned aggressively for the given fuel they are gonna be using, or be conservative and keep the boost and timing at a safe level. When you see people having issues with breaking spark plugs and breaking engines, its pretty much a given that they are tuned over aggressively, they are paying the consequences.
The problem is if the tune is aggressive and you get a bad batch of gas, or if that batch isn't necessarily bad but is just not a good as what you were originally tuned on, the PCM is gonna be constantly pulling timing to keep knock down. The PCM is very smart, it will do it, but its not 100% proactive, its more reactive, so when it sees knock, the knock still happens, till the PCM can pull timing.
I see that people get into the he did this and he ran that on this fuel. Ive seen so many posts that ask can I make 400 hp on 93 octane, or I wanna run low 12s on 93 octane. Ive even seen retaliation post where people have said, well yeah he ran that cause hes on Race fuel or E85, those that run a lot of octane are smart.
I have said many times and will say again, make sure you over octane for the given tune, whether that be 91, 93, 93 with Meth injection, race fuel or E85, and choose your tuner wisely so they do the best they can to not put you in a situation where your engine will be at risk. Send them multiple logs as well, even randomly on different batches of fuel.

To answer a few questions ive been asked, I think Methonol injection is the best thing since sliced bread, they even used it in WWII on planes cause it worked, and I have a little Lenovo laptop I got at Best buy for under $150 for looking at my logs that I keep in the car with me.

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its very safe to get a good tune, but 1st everyone needs to be straight with themselves on whether they want it tuned aggressively for the given fuel they are gonna be using, or be conservative and keep the boost and timing at a safe level. When you see people having issues with breaking spark plugs and breaking engines, its pretty much a given that they are tuned over aggressively, they are paying the consequences.
The problem is if the tune is aggressive and you get a bad batch of gas, or if that batch isn't necessarily bad but is just not a good as what you were originally tuned on, the PCM is gonna be constantly pulling timing to keep knock down. The PCM is very smart, it will do it, but its not 100% proactive, its more reactive, so when it sees knock, the knock still happens, till the PCM can pull timing.
I see that people get into the he did this and he ran that on this fuel. Ive seen so many posts that ask can I make 400 hp on 93 octane, or I wanna run low 12s on 93 octane. Ive even seen retaliation post where people have said, well yeah he ran that cause hes on Race fuel or E85, those that run a lot of octane are smart.
I have said many times and will say again, make sure you over octane for the given tune, whether that be 91, 93, 93 with Meth injection, race fuel or E85, and choose your tuner wisely so they do the best they can to not put you in a situation where your engine will be at risk. Send them multiple logs as well, even randomly on different batches of fuel.

To answer a few questions ive been asked, I think Methonol injection is the best thing since sliced bread, they even used it in WWII on planes cause it worked, and I have a little Lenovo laptop I got at Best buy for under $150 for looking at my logs that I keep in the car with me.
That's my point exactly. I'd take Meth over anything else out there for its tremendous results. Tune is key. Octane is key. Horsepower is must

mSTANG_1

No Limit
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
What are the best spark plugs recommended on a tuned Ecoboost?

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This thread has been enough to convince me to start planning on WMI when I tune later this year.

I'll be spending the next few months learning all I can. Thanks guys!

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
What are the best spark plugs recommended on a tuned Ecoboost?
i actually swapped out my plugs because the car threw a code a few weeks ago.. all 4 of the plugs where not properly gapped from the factory.

im running Denso (5340) ITV22 Iridium Power Spark Plug gapped at .28 and it has helped improve power and mpgs
Sponsored