Die hard Manual guys get in here!

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I feel like I don't have the same level of control with an automatic. I've had mostly sticks except for family vehicles. Even when I bought my Ford Ranger several years ago, I searched for a year until I found a 4x4 with stick at the price I was willing to pay - and I've never regretted it. I'm really glad that I got a stick in my 2015 S550. There was never a question when I ordered by Mustang. Good luck!
Sponsored

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
My coworker was in the car with me and we got intimate and I had to use my right hand to do...you know what to her.
I had to reach over and shift with my left hand, she was impressed but it was hard as hell.

Really the only downside I experienced with MT :D
This is where skipping gears comes in handy... See what I did there :lol:

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Drive a 2018 manual! I've put about 2k into my exhaust and I love hearing it without having my foot to the floor. With a 10 spd tranny, you be lucky to know the car is running. With Ford keeping mpg in mind every step of the way... you just won't have the same experience. Just drive both and keep your end game in mind. Good luck.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I like the sound it makes...
fascinating_o_2620325.jpg

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Drive a 2018 manual! I've put about 2k into my exhaust and I love hearing it without having my foot to the floor. With a 10 spd tranny, you be lucky to know the car is running. With Ford keeping mpg in mind every step of the way... you just won't have the same experience. Just drive both and keep your end game in mind. Good luck.
If you drive the 10spd in manual mode, you will hear the exhaust just the same. No?

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
If you drive the 10spd in manual mode, you will hear the exhaust just the same. No?
My experience with manual mode is limited with V8 sound but it just seems like you will wind them out faster... dunno. OP needs to drive both extensively before marking the plunge

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I got an Ecoboost Auto because everyone said it was faster and for me driving 95% in the city in heavy traffic it made sense.. The remote start was a nice feature too.

Let me just say, I have more fun parking Class B manual box trucks at work than I do driving my own car. :(

I'm now looking to trade in my car in 1 year for either a used GT with a manual, maybe a new GT manual if I can find a good deal in Florida.. I'm even considering a 14' S197 at this point.. but I love the S550 too much.

TDLR: if you consider driving a chore get an auto, if you consider driving itself entertaining get a manual.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I got an Ecoboost Auto because everyone said it was faster and for me driving 95% in the city in heavy traffic it made sense.. The remote start was a nice feature too.
Two very good points!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's amusing how serious you guys take this stuff. Buy what you like. End thread.
Could be that OP wants to determine just how die-hard he really is at this point in time (and AT development). Where he stands between not MT die-hard at all and very much so. Some responses will be more serious or extreme than others.

I won't even buy a "family car" with AT, but I do understand that most other peoples' attitudes are a good bit less extreme. Meaning that this isn't an all-or-nothing matter but a spectrum with many points in between.

Norm

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Modern Autos are about as responsive as DCT transmissions, they shift faster than manuals, they have more gears for closer ratios, all of this means faster acceleration and better performance. IIRC, the new 10spd will hold gears and bounce off the rev limiter in manual mode if you don't shift. Just like a DCT.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Modern Autos are about as responsive as DCT transmissions, they shift faster than manuals, they have more gears for closer ratios, all of this means faster acceleration and better performance. IIRC, the new 10spd will hold gears and bounce off the rev limiter in manual mode if you don't shift. Just like a DCT.
All Manual shift AT that I've had shift when you don't, this is news to me. Thx for the info.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
All Manual shift AT that I've had shift when you don't, this is news to me. Thx for the info.
The auto in the S550 holds gears in S Mode if you use the paddles.. otherwise it shifts like a regular automatic.

So, put it in S, hit the left paddle while in first and the number will flash now you're in full manual mode and it will rev to redline until you shift it.

Last edited:

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The 2015-2017 autos will bounce off the Rev limiter in manual mode all day.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Could be that OP wants to determine just how die-hard he really is at this point in time (and AT development). Where he stands between not MT die-hard at all and very much so. Some responses will be more serious or extreme than others.

I won't even buy a "family car" with AT, but I do understand that most other peoples' attitudes are a good bit less extreme. Meaning that this isn't an all-or-nothing matter but a spectrum with many points in between.

Norm
Agreeded and only he can determine which is best for him. So in the end. He gets 300 posts of what's best for other people. I've owned many manuals in the last 33 years of driving. I don't find it to be a zen like experience. Doesn't mean anything. Some people can eat a cheese burger. And turn it into a zen like experience. I liken this thread. To posting a should I get a Mustang or Camaro thread. Then posting it on both forums. Opinions are great. But in the end the OP is stuck making the payment.:shrug:
Sponsored