Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Very sorry to hear about your loss Lion. It's never easy for anyone to have to go through what you are going through. My best wishes for you and family.

Also, thank you so much for your opinion on it as it will be installed Friday. 12.5 sounds amazing but also dangerous if you are not willing to spend money on reinforcing the chassis and lowering the suspension .

Traction is a main issue with the RWD stang pushing that much torque on independent axles with no weight on it. Achieving it seems like pushing it to the limit of practicality and trying it off the track would be completely dangerous. IMO - Ford did leave a lot of power on the table, but I believe they did it because of safety. For them to increase the power of the 4 banger while keeping it safe or practical would price the car out of its market. Sure, I am not saying a good driver who knows the limitations of the car could keep it safe after a few basic mods, but to sell the car commercially with a tweaked out turbo that wheel hops off the road from factory is just asking for lawsuits.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Lion, you have my sincerist condolences. Best to you and your Son who is thankfully by your side.

Chris

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 ECB Manual Prem PP Nav CO "Orange Crush"
Lion, I am very sorry. Stay strong. Nick

Witj85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT Base 6spd in Shadow Black
Sorry for your loss Lion.

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Lion, sorry to hear about your wife. Family first, cars second. Keep your son close.

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Uggghhhh, my heart just sank and couldn't imagine the pain you and your son are feeling. Very sorry for your loss and best wishes to you and your son.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Lion, I am so, so sorry to hear that. I know we don't know each other, but as one human to another, if you need anything shoot me a PM and I'll help however I can.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I was wondering where you'd been the last bit. I'm so sorry to hear this and cannot imagine what you're having to endure right now. You have my sincerest of condolences, and if you need anything and I can help somehow, even someone to chat with, hit me up. My heart is absolutely broken for you. You and your son will be in me and my families prayers. Stay strong, brother, and again, if you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
What a horrible thing to go through. There are no words to take the pain away and grief is always a lonely place that no one can share, but knowing that people care is helpful. You and your son are in the prayers of people who care.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Sending my deepest sympathy to you and your son.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Much thanks to all of you for kind words. I lost my little girl back in 2012, so this is the second time around :(. Yes I am very thankful he was not in the car, I remember my wife complaining that morning because his school was the ONLY one in the whole area that didn't have a two hour delay and she didn't want to get up that morning, lol.

It was pretty bad, her focus was actually split in two pieces right behind the A pillar, the back tumbled down a ravine and the front slammed into a guard rail. Thankfully she didn't suffer, it was immediate and especially thankful my son wasn't in the back seat or that would have been my entire family!

I do believe my Lord will bring another into my life to love and cherish when the time is right and I also believe she now resides with my daughter in the presence of the Most High, for which I am the most thankful.

But, back to the car stuff though, no I don't necessarily think we can run 12.5 on the FP tune. It just shows what they were able to achieve on the stock turbo and what ever additional mods they were using which wasn't much. Interesting how they never mention upgrading the FMIC, yet we have so much data showing how inadequate it is...:confused:

Regardless I do believe these can run in the low 13's easily and maybe under the right conditions sneak in the 12.9's, which we've seen people do with Cobb State 1 tunes, time will tell. But the gearing is part of that key, I think it might be possible to sneak into the 12's with 3.73 and some good tires on a decent track day.

I just bought a set of Pilot Sport 275's on some RTR Tech 7 flow formed wheels (only 23lb per wheel, stock 18's weigh 28.5lbs!) for my spring / summer / fall setup. Put some Michelin Ice-X on the factory 18's that are on the car now (28F out right now, supposed to be 60 tomorrow...go figure). So we'll see how well those mate up with the 3.73 diff, fp tune, tires, track and my driving.

I pretty much always run 93, so the FP tune should be making the maximum potential power. As I mentioned before I also have the levels gen 3 street FMIC (20x14x3.5) which was recommended by T+ as the best bang for buck at the time (the newest one with the cast end tanks, very nice piece), so i would not expect any heat soak issues unless I sit and idle in 90F heat for 30 minutes...but I'll try and go in the spring when it's still cooler to make the most of it.

Now since I have a base model, my car is the minimum weight, but if you account for the added weight of the bolt ons and differences in weight from swapping out this part for that part, my gain is about 39lbs total, half of which comes from the darn FP cowl brace found on PP cars lol. Since there's not much left I can do with the engine without affecting warranty and adding risk to reliability, I"m starting to work on handling next. But that thing is one giant piece of solid steel and weighs a good 20 lbs on my scale...not sure why they didn't make it from 7075 T6...So curb weight comes in right at 3571 lbs compared to the 3532 of a bone stock 201A.

I'm interested to get this on the dyno too once the weather warms up a bit and see what kind of power the car is actually making, really curious about the top end. I remember Fox's dyno, but those numbers were markedly above what FP shows on their engine dyno. He was getting at the wheels what they were getting at the crank, unless there's that much power being lost through the FMIC, which I could only imagine the FP tune exacerbates the issues that already are significant with the stock power output. Lots of good info coming to a theater near you! :D

And for anyone wondering about charge pipes, I asked the FP guys if there would be an issues with using after market charge pipes due to the stock units being so picky / prone to leaks and they said FMIC and charge pipes are fine to use with their tune.

Last edited:

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
My sincerest condolences on your loss. May god help you through these difficult times.

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
Very Sorry to hear this Lion. I am a firefighter and unfortunately see things like this all the time and its always heartbreaking to me. I truly am sorry

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
TheLion, I love and admire your spirit. Stay strong.

Your light weight tires sound fun. Do they make them durable enough now that you don't have to worry about easily bending, warping, or dinging them up during pothole season?

I just installed my tune today and so far enjoying it. The dealership gave me the option of installing it myself or having them install it. If they installed it, they would have to charge me for labor so I opted to do it myself. Fairly simple process for someone who has been around computers and programs all his life. The computer basically auto detects everything and as soon as I plugged it in and opened the tune file programming took about 30 mins. Takes about 3 stages (back up stock tune, delete old tune, write new tune), so don't assume its done until you see Programming Successful in bold green letters. I also so configuration options that can enable/disable octane learning. So disabled octane learning because finding 93 in NJ is simple. After successful program I just swapped in a drop in air filter from k&n.

I went back to talk to service rep with my VIN and the Ford Performance Part and he printed me out a repair ticket to register my warranty. So I didn't have to pay one cent to install the tune for warranty. You just need to find a dealership that knows Ford Performance and worked with their tunes.

Funny how I see Phil@JDM here as the guy from the Dealership actually mentioned that in a couple of years to take it to JDM in NJ to get a pro tune done ;) . He told me to talk to nick. Small world.

Now for actually driving with the tune. It feels a lot better gearing wise. Normal drive now has a lot better throttle response and the tachometer climbs very easily with 50% or more throttle. I will have to test it out more tonight because driving in NJ traffic at 5:00pm around here is pointless. I agree with others that this will not make your car a rocket ship like the GT. To me this tune is what the car should of came stock with from the factory. I was able to pull hard once from a full stop and I almost felt the front lift a little which gave me a huge grin. I didn't have to slam on the gas either and it was in normal mode. Have not tried sports mode from a dead stop, but I imagine my tires would likely smoke.
Sponsored

Last edited: